Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:35:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 695253 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1455 on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:26 AM »

Wasn't there a certification issue?

the issue was doing it during manufacture. 

my suggestion was to put it in the DP catalogue, right next to the no-restriction exhausts, race ECUs and high comp pistons, also all problematic for road homologation.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1456 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:08 AM »

gotcha

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Loyalizer

SomeKindOfWonderful

« Reply #1457 on: May 05, 2011, 07:13:54 AM »

So I have a Monster with a tank that has expanded, who do I call, what do I do...?  Cause its a little difficult to latch it back once you've undone it...

Look! up on the Highway! My word! It's insane! No! It's a Monster....
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1458 on: May 05, 2011, 07:25:13 AM »

the issue was doing it during manufacture. 

my suggestion was to put it in the DP catalogue, right next to the no-restriction exhausts, race ECUs and high comp pistons, also all problematic for road homologation.

i think the problem with that route is that is ducati basically admitting fault because there is no other reason to have that as an accessory other than tank expansion.

i dont think their lawyers would allow them to do it unless they lose the class action.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1459 on: May 05, 2011, 08:11:11 AM »

i think the problem with that route is that is ducati basically admitting fault because there is no other reason to have that as an accessory other than tank expansion.

i dont think their lawyers would allow them to do it unless they lose the class action.

and you don't think replacing thousands of tanks shows they accept the tank expansion is a problem?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1460 on: May 05, 2011, 08:14:52 AM »

and you don't think replacing thousands of tanks shows they accept the tank expansion is a problem?

i think it's more of a accepting it, but not coming out and stating it.  unless they've made a formal declaration that they messed up that i might have missed?  from what i've understood so far, it's sort of like a unpublished workaround, not something like a full out recall where they've contacted every owner and told them to come in if they have any problems.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1461 on: May 13, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

So, after four plus months of waiting for my dealer to tend to the paint issues on the replacement tank (orange peel, scuffs, etc), I got the tank back. Weird thing was that there was residual gasoline in it. I never tipped a can into it nor filled it before returning it to said dealer. He said his paint guy "fixed" the orange peel etc. To which I call bullish!t. A high school paint minor could have tended to these issues with more enthusiasm.

So, I guess I'll have to take this up directly with DNA. What a flipping debacle. Tells me Ducati is only in it for the MSRP. After that, sayonara sucker!
Dave328

« Reply #1462 on: May 14, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »

Finally made it over to my dealer to start the process for my second tank. It's swollen so much, I can't un latch it and my Arrow steering stabilizer is hitting it at full lock. Sad Svc mgr took pics and said he would submit the claim, but he couldn't promise DNA would replace it this time. He told me DNA's position now is to review each on a case by case basis. They are not replacing them under the Fed Emissions warranty since they don't leak, he said, and it's their position that it is cosmetic only. Angry bang head
I think I am done. If they do replace this tank, I'm selling the bike. If they don't replace it, I'll strip it down and sell the parts. Cry I just don't understand how Ducati thinks it will continue to survive when it collectively gives it's LOYAL customers/FANS the finger! Huh?
dubbedown

« Reply #1463 on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »

So after learning how to ride on a 03 M620 and later trying few other bikes (r6, sc 1000 mono, D675), finally got back on a monster - and the one I've always wanted, 06 S2R 800 red on white with 1300 miles. Ironically I had my tank on the SC replaced but at the time I wasn't familiar with the problem and was told it was a paint defect. Now that I am up to speed on the issue it does suck we have to deal with this and there's no real fix from Ducati. But as of now the S2R I picked up does look trouble free. Low miles + owner properly winterizing the bike could've helped but I just received my Caswell kit so I'll report back after I apply it. Fingers crossed....

06 Ducati Monster S2R 800 - wifey
Bitubo damper, Goldlines, Marving midpipe, 14T, CRG LS / Shorty levers, CF rear guard, 3000K HID, Caswell

06 Sport Classic 1000 Mono (one night stand)
Termi CF, DP ECU, DP filter

03 Ducati Monster 620ie (first love)
Termi Ti, PC 3, Open airbox, 14T, SM M3 bar, CRG LS, Pazzo levers, 5000K HID, Cookie1
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #1464 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »

I just got my 2006 620 dark back from my local dealership after they replaced my second tank, which was 16 months old, due to expansion again.

I asked them to Caswell coat the tank.
When I picked the bike up I looked into the tank I can see the Caswell coating peeling inside the tank, right up near the filler neck. The product is soft and can be plucked out with a pair of tweezers.  The service manger said that when they were finished coating it the product had completely hardened. He said he would call Caswell and ask if this had happened before and if there was anything that could be done at this point. He thought that it might have been the fuel getting into the lining where it hadn't completely adhered to the tank or possibly where the coating hadn't completely covered the tank.

Has anyone else experienced this situation and if so what should I do at this point.
I'm not sure what I should do next. If the Caswell lining isn't adhering to the tank I'm pretty sure it's juts going to expand again and I'm thinking that now that my emissions warranty is about to expire Duati might leave me out in the wind on the next one.

I love this bike and it's one of my keepers, but I'm bummed at the thought of having to buy an aluminium tank just so I can finally cure the expansion problem...

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #1465 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »

^^^^^^
California Cycleworks Track Tank for Ducati Monster S2R
SKU:MTT43.S2RPrice:$469.00 Fitment
Ducati Monster S2R 1000, 800 Monster 695 (2007-2008), 620 (2005-2006)

Buy it and be done. Lifetime guarantee.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1466 on: May 27, 2011, 04:40:08 AM »

^^^^^^

i'll be jumping on it soon enough.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
J.P.

« Reply #1467 on: May 27, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »

Think Duc Motor Holding will reimburse us for one? Grin
But seriously- this still sux.
Thanks for the ethanol G.Bush.
Thanks for the engineering Acerbis.
Thanks for the customer satisfaction Ducati.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1468 on: May 27, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »

Ethanol has been around since the early 1990s

Dave328

« Reply #1469 on: May 27, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »

^^^^^^

According to their site, that tank is a PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) plastic that is molded in color and the surface is unpaintable. Not really suitable for a street bike, IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: