Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 28, 2024, 01:28:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 395351 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »

Im a cheapo - with two kids and a wife who doesn’t quite understand my hobby -

So when I decided to paint my bike I knew I had to do it myself.   I  quickley decided against rattle cans after reading through this site but couldnt afford the Hundreds of dollars of HOK reccomendations So I found a middle ground and went with Dupli-Color Paintshop pre-mixed lacquer - 60 bucks and i've got primer paint and clear .. How could i go wrong! (even if i have to paint it every year to look nice i'm still saving!)

-  After 2 months of prepping on the weekends and few nights of the week I've got the paint booth up and sprayed on the primer last night .. Now i'm thinking the borrowed gun may not have the right size nozzle (I think it is a 1.4mm?) - it seemed to go on blotchy and course ..

Q1) Should I thin the paint down with some acetone?
Q2) What size nozzle? and is it the same for primer/paint/clear?
Q3) Does the spraying technique change with each?

Thanks for the help

Cheap man in Love with expensive bikes!
Are you sure it's lacquer? It really isn't readily available anymore. You can buy it, but I don't think Dupli-Color offers it any more.

Most paints/primers are designed to be reduced/thinned.

If it's lacquer use lacquer thinner not acetone...that evaporates too quickly and won't allow any flow.

If it's enamel use enamel reducer.

A 1.4 nozzle will be good for color and clear and a little small for primer. Slow your hand down with the primer,and maybe add some thinner/reducer. If your primer is coarse, as you described it, it makes for more sanding to get a smooth surface.

Technique depends on a lot of variables.

Let me know the model gun you have, what compressor, hose size, and product numbers of the paint and I'll see if you can even do what you are attempting with what you have.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

clittelm750

Koketsu ni irazunba koji o ezu

« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »

yeah it is laquer check it out: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html pretty neat stuff

I wasnt setting my fan wide enough - I played on some old paint cans and figured it out tonight, got everything all primed and ready for color tomorrow night .. You were exactly right i'll need to sand a little more tomorrow to get er smooth but im happy with the outcome so far!!

This Paintshop stuff seems like it would be great for track bikes - check out the video on it http://www.fquick.com/videos/Do_it_yourself_paint_job_/5303#

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
for long you live and high you fly but only if you ride the tide
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

yeah it is laquer check it out: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html pretty neat stuff

I wasnt setting my fan wide enough - I played on some old paint cans and figured it out tonight, got everything all primed and ready for color tomorrow night .. You were exactly right i'll need to sand a little more tomorrow to get er smooth but im happy with the outcome so far!!

This Paintshop stuff seems like it would be great for track bikes - check out the video on it http://www.fquick.com/videos/Do_it_yourself_paint_job_/5303#
I don't know where you are located or what temp thinner Duplicolor mixes in the can, but if your color/clear doesn't go on fairly smooth you'll never polish it up. Don't be afraid to add some thinner, to improve flow, if it's warm there.

Lacquer is fine. It's more solvent resistant when fully dry than uncatalyzed enamel, and with waxing can look good for a long time.

Edit: One word of caution. Too many coats can cause cracking in the long term.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:02:07 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

clittelm750

Koketsu ni irazunba koji o ezu

« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42:40 AM »

I'm up in Maine - I've kept the booth at around 60 - and another room to dry a little warmer.

I'll call up duplicolor to see what temp thinner they put in and what they suggest for thinning ratio to accomodate the temp.

Tonight is the paint and possibly Clear .. I'll post some pictures when I'm done (If i dont need to sand it all off and try again that is!!)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
for long you live and high you fly but only if you ride the tide
Langanobob

« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »

I've been using a cheap gravity feed HVLP gun with my shop compressor and getting good results with my amateur paint jobs.  So far my limited skill is the limiting factor, not the cheap gun.  I got a different kind of HVLP set up from a friend, it's a small square metal box, about one foot on each side,  with some sort of turbine inside almost like a mini vacuum cleaner and a large 1" or so hose that leads to a fairly conventional looking suction type gun.  I haven't tried it yet but when I flip the switch on the turbine box the air coming out is real warm.  Seems like it might tend to dry the paint in the air before it reaches the bike.  I was happy to see that this HVLP set up is made in Canada and not China.  Assuming equal quality, just wondering what the differences are between these two types of HVLP paint sprayers?  Does the metal box thing have any real advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks,

Bob
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2009, 04:04:08 AM »

I've been using a cheap gravity feed HVLP gun with my shop compressor and getting good results with my amateur paint jobs.  So far my limited skill is the limiting factor, not the cheap gun.  I got a different kind of HVLP set up from a friend, it's a small square metal box, about one foot on each side,  with some sort of turbine inside almost like a mini vacuum cleaner and a large 1" or so hose that leads to a fairly conventional looking suction type gun.  I haven't tried it yet but when I flip the switch on the turbine box the air coming out is real warm.  Seems like it might tend to dry the paint in the air before it reaches the bike.  I was happy to see that this HVLP set up is made in Canada and not China.  Assuming equal quality, just wondering what the differences are between these two types of HVLP paint sprayers?  Does the metal box thing have any real advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks,

Bob
The HVLP turbine things don't work very well from what I've heard. They never took off in the automotive painting trade, and I've never used one.

Suction feed HVLP is definitely not the way to go.

...and don't sell yourself short. There are huge differences in spray equipment and it does make a difference.

perspective

red baron

« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

Thanks,

Bob

They actually work very well.

Especially in less than ideal conditions.

Problem is getting a good enough spraygun. To date the only one i've used that was worth a shit is made by Accuspray. Who was recently purchased by 3M. The gun is very good and very expensive. About $400.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »

They actually work very well.

Especially in less than ideal conditions.

Problem is getting a good enough spraygun. To date the only one i've used that was worth a shit is made by Accuspray. Who was recently purchased by 3M. The gun is very good and very expensive. About $400.

$400 isn't a lot for a gun.  Grin

Is it?

If you can use the turbine and avoid the expense of a big compressor......sweeeeeet.

perspective

Langanobob

« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments on the HVLP turbine.  I already have big compressors and just got the turbine system because a friend is moving and getting rid of stuff.  I noticed the suction cup gun has a plugged port on top that looks like all I have to do is thread in a gravity feed cup.  The gun looks like it's well made, but...there's no brand name anywhere on the gun which usually tells me something.  I'll give this system a trial next time I paint something, which will be soon.  I saw on Google where furniture finishers seem to use these.

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »

Lo-buck helmet painting...

Saw another poster queried this before, I'm asking the pro's in here.

Busted my arse on my dirtbike a few weeks ago....of course I was wearing my nice shark helmet that now has some scuff marks on side.

What do I need to use to paint this thing?  I'm no artist,  and I can't afford to have a custom painted helmet done at the prices I was quoted (800+), so I need a fix that don't look like shitz.

I've got an ample compressor, but no gun.  Not sure it's worth it to go buy a gun and the water separators needed to run it, but maybe?  Spray bomb it?    Really had my heart set on some of that hot rod flatz paint, then maybe some decals/simple graphics, then a flat clear on top?

Help!  Or PM me if you can do this for me (for cheap.. ?Cheesy)

Mac_48

I Ride: a 2005 S2R 800 (sold)

« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »

+1 except I was just thinking of a rattle can job and I need some advice on what grit sand paper, how I should sand it, how should I mask it off/what would I need, and what paint to use( I was thinking krylon? I just want it to be flat black)  I'm also not sure if I would need primer or not.....thanks

this is for my daily helmet and will go through all weather (besides snow Tongue) so it needs to be able to hold up against the elements
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:11:08 PM by Mac_48 » Logged

This site is bad for me.....It makes me want to spend thousands of dollars that I do not have XD
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2009, 04:32:09 AM »

+1 except I was just thinking of a rattle can job and I need some advice on what grit sand paper, how I should sand it, how should I mask it off/what would I need, and what paint to use( I was thinking krylon? I just want it to be flat black)  I'm also not sure if I would need primer or not.....thanks

this is for my daily helmet and will go through all weather (besides snow Tongue) so it needs to be able to hold up against the elements
Does the helmet have any graphics on it now?

perspective

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2009, 04:36:32 AM »

Lo-buck helmet painting...

Saw another poster queried this before, I'm asking the pro's in here.

Busted my arse on my dirtbike a few weeks ago....of course I was wearing my nice shark helmet that now has some scuff marks on side.

What do I need to use to paint this thing?  I'm no artist,  and I can't afford to have a custom painted helmet done at the prices I was quoted (800+), so I need a fix that don't look like shitz.

I've got an ample compressor, but no gun.  Not sure it's worth it to go buy a gun and the water separators needed to run it, but maybe?  Spray bomb it?    Really had my heart set on some of that hot rod flatz paint, then maybe some decals/simple graphics, then a flat clear on top?

Help!  Or PM me if you can do this for me (for cheap.. ?Cheesy)
Many automotive paint stores sell real paint in an aerosol can. If you can find someone with that system you can spray activated products without buying a gun. I haven't used them, but for a small item like a helmet I'd bet you could get good results.

...cheap?

perspective

supertjeduc

« Reply #238 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:54 AM »

I would buy a new helmet ,if it is used throw it away and buy another one
And about painting a helmet ,don't if you are not sure that it can be done (some helmets can be painted some don't)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #239 on: April 07, 2009, 05:20:57 AM »

I would buy a new helmet ,if it is used throw it away and buy another one
And about painting a helmet ,don't if you are not sure that it can be done (some helmets can be painted some don't)
I don't disagree about the new helmet...

show me where a manufacturer that states a helmet can't be painted...and I won't disagree about that.  Wink

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: