Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 05:24:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 398876 times)
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »

I finally (unfortunately) have a use for the paint thread.

Over the weekend, I was on a big group ride, came back to my bike at one of the stops and saw this:

a little further out for scale:

I have run this over in my head and measured it and there is no way this came from debris flying up, it didn't come from me getting on or off.  Only thing I can think is someone got to close walking by or tried to back into the spot, backed into me and took off.  It is right about the right spot for a cruiser (99% of the bikes on the ride were cruisers) tail section.  I can see it - back up, bump, stand up a bit as the bike rolls back, sit back down hard on the seat and hit the gas to roll away.

This panel is from a M696.  The replacement part, from my dealer is $320.  For 1 cover.  The whole color therapy kit is what, $800?  I want to keep this color and the color scheme on my 1100.  Is there an easy way to match this color, paint this and get it back or do I need to suck it up and buy a new piece?  It is plastic.  Scratch is not too deep but you can feel it without gloves on.

Or does someone have one they want to part with?

On a side note, is it a waste of time to send the pics to the ride organizers and let them know that people suck - not expecting money or saying it was their group and not to say they have any control over who they take money from to go on a group thing where monitoring everyone is not their job.
scott_araujo

« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »

Is that the Dark color?  I have an 800 Dark and touch up small scratches with a black Sharpie marker.  If you haven't gone all the way through the primer it's fine on steel and yours is on plastic, so now worries about rust.  It's not perfect, that scratch looks a little big, and you may be far more picky than I am BUT it's cheap, quick, very easy to apply, and if you don't like it you can remove it with alcohol.  It at least takes the glaring white streak away.  I've got a small nick center tank right by the filler cap that you have to really look for to find after my 'Sharpie touch up'.

I've also been known to touch up small paint scratches with a crayon.  Scribble over the scratch back and forth with a similar color crayon and buff out.  The wax fills in small knicks nicely; requires occasional re-application.  Again, not perfect but I have trouble looking down the gun at a few hundred dollars to repaint something that's likely to scratch again.  If my fix makes it so I don't see it right away and it's not rusting I'm ok with it. 

Scott
JasonV

« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

This panel is from a M696.  The replacement part, from my dealer is $320.  For 1 cover. 

Commonwealth I saw has it for $380, can I order from your dealer online?

2009 696 Monster, CF Termi's, Hindsight LS CRG's, (yes that's it, have a lot of catching up to you guys...)
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »

Call them.. Munroe Motors in San Francisco. (No, I'm not affiliated with them except that they have taken money from me for 2 bikes).
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2009, 12:14:10 AM »

Is that the Dark color?  I have an 800 Dark and touch up small scratches with a black Sharpie marker.  If you haven't gone all the way through the primer it's fine on steel and yours is on plastic, so now worries about rust.  It's not perfect, that scratch looks a little big, and you may be far more picky than I am BUT it's cheap, quick, very easy to apply, and if you don't like it you can remove it with alcohol.  It at least takes the glaring white streak away.  I've got a small nick center tank right by the filler cap that you have to really look for to find after my 'Sharpie touch up'.

I've also been known to touch up small paint scratches with a crayon.  Scribble over the scratch back and forth with a similar color crayon and buff out.  The wax fills in small knicks nicely; requires occasional re-application.  Again, not perfect but I have trouble looking down the gun at a few hundred dollars to repaint something that's likely to scratch again.  If my fix makes it so I don't see it right away and it's not rusting I'm ok with it. 

Scott

It is all the way through paint and primer.  Not really deep but that white is the plastic.  Its about 1 1/2-2" across.  The smaler ones might be ok for that sort of touch but the bigger bit will probably need bondo, sand paper and paint.

I think what really bothers me is that I specifically went through and pulled the covers from my old 696, sat around while I waited for the 696 to sell, etc... just to have this look only to have it screwed up by someone too selfish to stand up for their mistake.  I think this scratch here is a one off thing and after a year + of riding around with these pieces  I had no issues, no other scratches, no problems so I don't think this will be a common occurance with replacing this.
mojo

'99 M900S

« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »

It would be a shame to replace the panel for that scratch.  But the problem would be getting the gloss to match , so you would need both sides of the tank painted.  A repaint could be a bit cheaper than replacing the panel.

Some people are like slinky's.  They serve absolutely no purpose, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »

If I did the repaint correctly, I would have to do the cowling, the front fender and both sides of the tank.  And replace the decal.  Don't get me wrong, I've been thinking about doing the old school Ducati decal instead of the stock one.  But, I start to add up the cost of paining that, plus time (taking the parts off and putting them on, finding a painter, getting them painted, lost time riding, time sitting in traffic, etc...) it just seems frustrating.
scott_araujo

« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »

A slightly nicer cheap fix would be to get matching paint in a small touch up bottle, I forget the company that offers Ducati colors but they're mentioned on the board somewhere.  Then just get a good artist brush and lay it in the scratch.  Again, you'll still see it but it's much less obvious.

I'm with you, if you do a paint repair do it right but the cost of repainting all the pieces on the bike so they all match perfectly is so pricey.  Aside from that, getting one new stock panel or a good repaint on just that panel may match or may be just a bit off.  You need a good painter to get a really good match, you need a little luck for the panel you order to match the one you already have.

Scott
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »

A slightly nicer cheap fix would be to get matching paint in a small touch up bottle, I forget the company that offers Ducati colors but they're mentioned on the board somewhere.  Then just get a good artist brush and lay it in the scratch.  Again, you'll still see it but it's much less obvious.

I'm with you, if you do a paint repair do it right but the cost of repainting all the pieces on the bike so they all match perfectly is so pricey.  Aside from that, getting one new stock panel or a good repaint on just that panel may match or may be just a bit off.  You need a good painter to get a really good match, you need a little luck for the panel you order to match the one you already have.

Scott

This sounds like the best option yet - especially since my uncle is a painter and can help me do this right once I have the paint.

Searching...
scott_araujo

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2009, 10:51:48 AM »

ColorRite  http://www.colorrite.com/

When I sprayed my front fender (800 Dark, see earilier in this thread for details) I thought about getting an aerosol can of their paint but it was almost $40 plus shipping.  I ended up with some DupliColor and a matte clear over it bought locally that was way cheaper (Under $25 for two cans of color and one of matte) and is pretty close.  It was way cheaper even if it's not a perfect match, and it seems for Dark almost nothing is.

Still, a small touch up bottle of your color is not too pricey and probably a closer match than anything you're likely to find at the local auto shop.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:57:24 AM by scott_araujo » Logged
sroberts152
Say hello to my

« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »

You rock!  Ordering touch up pen now.   waytogo
Langanobob

« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »

DP, I'm thinking about tackling a simple pin striping project.  Never done it before and it's not like I want to produce something that will get mistaken for Von Dutch's work.  My main goal is to be able to make stripes that are even thickness and go mostly where I want them to go.  I have plenty of things to practice on.

In your opinion do you think that basic striping is something that can be learned, or does it take natural artistic talent?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »

DP, I'm thinking about tackling a simple pin striping project.  Never done it before and it's not like I want to produce something that will get mistaken for Von Dutch's work.  My main goal is to be able to make stripes that are even thickness and go mostly where I want them to go.  I have plenty of things to practice on.

In your opinion do you think that basic striping is something that can be learned, or does it take natural artistic talent?
I think that it's all about 'seat' time, patience, and materials/equipment.

Start practicing. Grin

Keep in mind there is a tiny bit of science involved, so if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Langanobob

« Reply #343 on: November 30, 2009, 05:32:35 AM »

I'll stop by the paint store today and get a couple striping brushes.  What about those little striping applicator devices with the roller wheels that I see advertised?  Are they worth getting?   They seem kind of like training wheels to me.

Thanks,

Bob
scott_araujo

« Reply #344 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »

Thought about getting into this myself.  There are a few books out there that go over the basics.  Check your library.

Scott
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: