Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:28:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear that survived, failed, blew up, protected you, etc. etc.  (Read 97334 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »

WOW!  Looks like three heads that wouldn't have done too awful well without helmets.
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 06:06:56 AM »

friend of mine clipped a car that decided to lane dive and went down on the highway about 65mph she thinks.

She was wearing thse "5.11 EMT pants."  Not sure what that means, but she had no rash, no rug burns, no abrasive injuries at all.

I do believe I will have to get some.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »

friend of mine clipped a car that decided to lane dive and went down on the highway about 65mph she thinks.

She was wearing these "5.11 EMT pants."  Not sure what that means, but she had no rash, no rug burns, no abrasive injuries at all.

I do believe I will have to get some.

5.11 is a brand.   You can get them at uniform supply shops.  They have knee pads built in and are doubled layered.  EMS workers wear them.
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »

5.11 is a brand.   You can get them at uniform supply shops.  They have knee pads built in and are doubled layered.  EMS workers wear them.

they're cheaper than my kevlar jeans, that's all I know at this point.  Gonna try some on over my bohn pants.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Slag
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »

I went down at 40 mph a few months back, and my 5.11 pants did not wear through.  Nasty bruise on my hip from impact, but no rash  waytogo
Clickjack

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »

Was forced to lay my bike down at 40 MPH. 

Survived: Helmet- Nolan NE100 Classic Plus. 
Failed: Gloves- Icon Pursuit perforated.   Gloves have no armor or padding on the palm, seam gave out, gravel embedded in skin. 
Survived: Jacked- Icon Arc Stealth Armored Jacket. 

"They wanted Gold, we gave them lead"  -John Wayne
Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »

Should have done this last week.
Went down at about 45 MPH, bike fell on top of me and we both skidded for about 30'

Icon Mainframe helmet

It did its job, and did it well.

Joe Rocket Corona textile jacket

Failed!
It shredded, and the shoulder pad moved far enough that I rashed about a 4x5" piece of my shoulder.

Sliders kevlar jeans.
No photo, but they passed, sort of. They didn't shred through, but I rashed about a 2x3" of my right knee anyway. Not bad for 30' with a monster on top grinding it into the pavement. Knee pads would've helped. Oh well, next time.

Fieldsheer gloves.
Passed. Minor rip in the palm of the right glove, but didn't go through, and no injury was sustained.

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
scduc

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

Wish I had pics, had one of those orange Ducati preformance goretex jackets from the 00'-04' era. Went down/over at 35mph in 04'. The plastic wind shield torn thru it like a hot knife in cold butter. Turned my underarm into hamburger ( thats what the nurse said). They stopped counting stiches at 50. Still no feeling in that area.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
Raux
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »

Will take pics later.

Crashed in a decreasing radius corner, hit railing support.

gear:
ProRider 2piece armored leathers
XElement armored Sport boots
Vanucci armored gloves
Nexo Helmet
Hard Back armor

everything thing did its job. i have no road rash. no back injuries or internal (hit something pretty hard in my kidney/back area. boot came partially ripped open and unzipped but stayed on, only real bruise is top of foot due to boots being soft leather with armor. hard boots and i would be fine.
gloves had rash, leathers have rash/tears everywhere nothing got through. but have a small rub on the knee from the lining and a pretty hard impact or something trying to take my knee off. maybe the bike or railing or both.
helmet light scratching on side

i honestly immediately got up went back to the corner and slowed traffic. after looking at the pics of the bike... no gear... no raux.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »

Glad you are OK, Raux
vampire

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 12:44:46 AM »

Rev'it air,, went down on my left elbow on the sidewalk (sand) doing 30mph and slid about 20ft,, elbow armor saved me,, the jacket mesh has a 1" cut only,,

spun out '
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »

Ivan V
Hope you healed quickly.
jkris

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 03:51:47 PM »

BMW Airflow 2 Gloves (bad!)

The design on these gloves combined with Ducati OEM bar grips is a deadly combination.  Or perhaps its more the design of these gloves.  Look at the padding on the palm:

Well, that pad part is made of very soft leather and has stitching around its perimeter.  The middle of it is not stitched and over time gets loose and can bunch up.  What I've discovered is that it sticks or gets caught up in the grips!  I had this "racing condition" with my throttle when I squeezed the front brakes at times and couldn't figure it out.  Then one day I was cruising for a long stretch with my hand constantly holding the throttle.  (little did I know the glove had stuck itself real good to my throttle grip).  I started coasting and intended to pull off into the shoulder.  As I pulled off to the side and squeezed the front brake, my Duc wheelied! 

I then tested the gloves stiction to the throttle grip without putting the glove on and figured it all out.  I guess that's what I get for buying BMW gloves for a Ducati.  I needed a summer pair and it was all my pansy dealer had in stock.  After that incident I ordered (and waited forever) for these Dainese Blaster summer gloves:

You can see their palm padding is wisely crossed stitched through the middle to prevent bunching and is covered in a textile that isn't sticky!  Feel so much safer.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

My AGV GP tech helmet saved my head at the track.

I don't know how hard I crashed, but I remember the whack.

The Carbon/Kevlar shell actually broke.

Not even a headache.

I bought another one.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ngk12

09 Montser 1100S

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »

I crashed on asphalt wearing :

HJC FS15 spies replica helmet- my noggin hit and the helmet held up well, but the face shield ripped off
Dainese Guanto Duel gloves- when my hand hit the deck the leather on the palm split
Dainese textile pants- i wore a hole through the knee, but the knee armor kept me from any injuries
Dainese 72 leather jacket- the leather was too thin, when i hit my shoulder, i wore a hole through it
Puma boots- No Damage

I learned a valuable lesson that day- I needed better gear more oriented towards racing
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: