Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear that survived, failed, blew up, protected you, etc. etc.  (Read 97335 times)
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »

First time, low side. About 40mph:
Scorpion Exo-1000 lid - A few scratches, nothing major.
Rev'it Cheyenne Jacket - Not a scratch!
Rev'it Sand Pants - Not a scratch!
Borrowed boots from Bacon Junkie - No damage!

Second time, high side. About 35mph:
Scorpion EXO-700 lid - Not a scratch. Must have kept my head up for that one!
Rev'it Cheyenne Jacket - Not a scratch!
Rev'it Sand Pants - Not a scratch!
A* SMX-5 boots - couple scratches about the size of a quarter on each toe

All in all I'm pretty impressed with my purchases and the only physical damage was a bruised knee from the high side, must have landed pretty hard?!

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »

knox handroid is about $250, these were essentially the same glove minus the cool finger looking things and the boa system for $100 less.

Picked them up at $150 free shipping. These are the teknic Xcelerators

The SPS system...yea i swear by it. Ive crashed a few times and the palms have always hurt. these were perfect. I will never buy another glove without them.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:26:59 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »

snip

Teknic Lightning gloves.  a few hours later I noticed my whole hand was a little swelled and achy. aside from the lid all my gear checked out.  went back to the right glove and and there was some minor indentions across the CF knuckle armor.  I never really liked that feature before-- just thought it was for show and too blingy for my taste. I took an asprin and the swelling went down no issues with my hand at all and the gloves are good enough to ride in some more.  I think these did a great job considering my handle bar was bent to a 90 degree angle and the brake lever is bent. I think it took quite an impact but not sure on what since there was no scuffs just indents (and blingy as ever) waytogo

I always thought the same thing, until my room mate wrecked earlier this summer and ended up with a Ti rod in his hand.  His gloves had the CF knuckles as well but whatever he managed to whack with his hand (we're thinking handlebars/mirrors) wouldn't have done nearly as much damage if they'd hit those protectors.  They look kinda like Icons, but there's no branding on them (which may have had something to do with their failure).  The palms weren't shredded (he landed on grass) but the seam where the cuff meets the palm was destroyed on both gloves.  From what he remembers, he was sliding on his chest for a little bit and tried to prop himself up with his hands, which probably resulted in the seam tear. 

Little to no damage anywhere else, and he was only wearing tennis shoes.  Helmet is ok, but he's picking up a new one anyway. 

I'm only going through his crash gear becasue I"ve never crashed.  Yet Smiley  You folks in the city have to worry about VW's  We have deer.  I'm truly not sure which is worse. 

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
matt922

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »

Shark RSI saved my noggin on my ~35mph venture over the handlebars, unsure of speed i hit the ground at though.  Visor popped off, but i'm not going to fault it because i really dont know what i hit between leaving the bike and landing on the ground.  I might have hit the car on my way over the top of it, not sure.

DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »

Back over 14 months ago when I had my big time crash , I went air born , landed w, my S4Rs on top of me , and I hit the pavement rightside , head first.

At the time I was wearing a Shoei X-11 that probably saved my life.

I was knocked out for over 5 minutes I was told .

My bike was totalled .

I was almost totalled , but no head injury.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Raux
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »

holy smokes. crashes suck.
glad you are good to go.

double eagle is no longer with us...  Cry

that was a pretty old post from him.
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »

Sorry to go off topic - I noticed no posts from Double Eagle lately.
If appropriate, can you share what happened?
tankerbutt

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=49202.0

This thread may answer your questions
Cider

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »

I tested my gear last month  Tongue.  I got a tankslapper just above 80mph (GPS datalogger survived), was tossed off the bike, and did a faceplant into the pavement.  Results:

• Nearly new Shoei X12 totalled (including massive damage to the faceshield and chin bar).  I donated to an MSF instructor for demonstration purposes
  • AlpineStars GP Tech gloves have some minor abrasions
  • Gimoto full leather suit had abrasion damage in many spots, and a small (1") opening in one of the knee seams.  Damage is repairable (~$200).
  • No damage to Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots

I was also wearing a TPro back protector and chest protector.  My injuries included:

• Knocked out cold, concussion, and two hours of lost memory
  • Broken left wrist
  • Broken/dislocated finger
  • Minor fracture to right hand
  • Damaged tendons in left shoulder

Overall, I was judged lucky by witnesses and doctors, and I agree.  Thank goodness for modern safety gear!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:41 AM »

WOW! 

Cider,
To a quick, complete recovery chug
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »

Sweet cheeses.

What Howie said.  chug

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »

Scary...glad you are alive.
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »

Thanks to a guy hauling ass out of his driveway while arguing with his passenger without checking traffic, I have something to add to this thread... a low-speed low-side in a ditch this weekend, maybe 20-25 MPH after I scrubbed off most of my speed in the gravel shoulder.

Icon FieldArmor vented boots - minor scuffs;
Scorpion CoolRod Mesh - no tears or rips, no shoulder or elbow bruising;
Aerostitch Protekt Riding Jeans - no popped seams, minor scuffs to hip area - fabric held up well.
Fox Bomber MX gloves - minor abrasion right palm/wrist, leather held - nothing got through to the skin;
Scorpion EXO-1000 - vents & levers held, faceshield intact, minor scrapes to paint... big f'n mark on rear spoiler / back of lid from telephone pole that I slid into.  No concussion or dizziness, didn't hit hard enough to crack outer shell.

I'd have to say everything did it's job.  I'll be able to continue to use everything, but I'm probably going to pick up a new helmet... the impact felt like the time I got KO'd kickboxing, so the inner foam may have used up it's protective ability on the phone pole.  The worst part of me is where my my pocket knife was clipped into the jeans an I landed on it... decent bruise on my hip from that.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
Monster750ie

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »

Here's one 2011 teknic violator gloves approx 100 miles of riding on them I notice a cool breeze flowing through the left glove. At the next light I look at my hand and see the stitching has given. 1/4 of my middle finger exposed.

I called teknic and told them what happened, they asked me to ship the gloves to them to see if they could be repaired. 1 weeks later I follow up and am told it was a defect.. And I should expect a new 2012.

Anyone experience similar issues with gear?
Timmy Tucker

Banninated

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »

Locked up the back tire doing about 70, tried to ride it out, bike lowsided on the left going about 25 (my best guesstimate). I landed on my left knee and elbow, slid about 10-15ft on asphalt before coming to a stop on the side of the road.

The gear:

Helmet: Z1R Venom. I'm pretty sure it hit the pavement, but there's not a scratch to be found anywhere on it that wasn't already there. The visor popped loose on one side. Nothing broken. I'd call it a win.

Jacket: Rev'It Air. Mesh/Textile combo. I inspected every square inch of it this morning, including pulling the armor. It is completely unscathed as far as I can tell. No scuffs, tears or even any loose threads. A trip to the dry cleaners and I'm good to go. And (very importantly) the sleeves didn't pull up at all, they stayed planted around my wrists. I sure as shit wouldn't wear anything else now. FWIW, I will also be upgrading the foam backpad to a SAS-TEC version, but that was planned already.

Gloves: Rev'It Airvolution. They didn't really do much pavement duty. There's a small scuff on my left glove that's so tiny it won't even show up in pics.

Kneepads: Icon Field Armor knee/shin guards. Saved the day for me. I've had 'em for almost 2 years and honestly have doubted how well they would stay in place in an actual crash. They did the job superbly. My left knee took the majority of the blow when I hit and it has not been sore at all. The hard plastic outer shell acted as a slider, like it's supposed to. Gonna replace 'em, just to be safe. Probably with the new Icon Strykers or maybe RS Taichi.

Pants: Lucky Brand jeans. Will make a nice pair of jhorts for somebody.

Boots: Oxtar TCS Sport. (FYI, Oxtar changed their name, they're now called TCX.) Gotta give the boots props too. They have a torsion control system built in that basically keeps your foot from turning any direction that it's not supposed to. They did their job, no sore calf/ankle/foot like I had last time when I crashed in hiking boots. I would put up pics, but they were already scuffed all to shit so I can't really see any new damage.

Moral of the story... Practice your panic stops and don't ride like a dick. Otherwise, you'll eat shit in front of a girl.

1999 M750 - "Piggy"
2007 S4RS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: