Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 03:51:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear that survived, failed, blew up, protected you, etc. etc.  (Read 97611 times)
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« on: May 06, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »

Here's a thread to tell us what you wore that tasted road or track.   How did it do for it's intended purpose?

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
NuTTs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:10 AM »

Nankai Fuji 1 piece perforated leather suit.. 1 crash on trackday, held up beautifully during the crash. Afterwards though it needed some seams restitching as they had burnt through due to friction with asphalt with my large self inside.
Alpinestars GP Pro gloves - 2 x crashes at trackdays - held up perfectly, no rips or tears. Still like new.. sort of.
Oxtar TCS Evo Rx boots -   2 x crashes at trackdays - held up perfectly also but aesthetically are a bit worse for wear. They need new toe sliders for each trackday.
Dainese M4 2 piece leather suit - 1 x trackday crash, held up perfectly. Only slight scuffing on butt and forearm

Luckily my Shoei lid only touched the plastic spoiler at the back of the helmet and didn´t affect the rest of the lid.

My Forcefield back protector has saved me twice now and I´ll never do any hard riding without it.. ever.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »

Crash: Lowside in 1 at VIR North.  Lost the rear on the gas.  As soon as I hit the asphalt, I started in the good ol' log roll.  I did no sliding other than once I got to the dirt.  At that point I started sliding feet first propped up on my forearms. 

Gear:

Alpinestars 2 piece leather suit (not sure which one) -- Did just fine.  Zero structural damage.  Only the stitching on the left sleeve emblem came 1/3 undone.  Fixed with superglue.

Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0 -- These barely look like they crashed.  My ring finger and pinky were slightly bruised, but nothing major.

Alpinestars Julie boots -- I broke these in for Dolcissima  Grin and they suffered only scuffs on the right boot (inside of turn).

Lid never touched.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:04 AM »

Road tested a 1st gear leather jacket w/ armor.  Walked away from a helluva lowside at about 95-100mph  Scuffing & dirty were the extend of the damage to the jacket.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

I've had 2 lowsides so far in my brief riding experience.  Both to the left side down, and both times wearing Held Steve gloves.

I cannot be happier with these gloves. 

Kangaroo palms with an extra pad with rivets on the heel of the hand.

Both times the gloves performed exactly as advertised - the 'roo held up 100% (even though it's way thinner than cowhide) and the rivets worked as advertised - I slid on them with no damage to my skin.

I still have a sprained wrist from the low-side 2 weeks ago, though... :bang

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
CETME

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

I lowsided my Nighthawk at 30mph around a curve, and slid on my hands.

I was wearing Alpinestars GP2 gloves and you wouldn't  be able to tell anything happened to them.

2001 Monster S4
2004 Aprilia Tuono
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
cruzduc

Ride your own ride, have fun

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »

Went down on Hwy 85 doing about 65.  Low side.  I let the bike slip away and wound up sliding down the road on my back, feet first.  I was wearing a set of fully armored two piece waist zip leathers from Triumph.  Some places wore a lot and I had leather patches sewn over them.  I was wearing BMW gloves that slid a little and exposed my wrist to some wear.  Nothing from now on but good stiff gauntlets.  Sidi boots, no wear shows.

dav0
CruzDuc
'96 M900, Yellow

CruzDuc
Aanta Cruz
'96 M900 Yellow, some slight mods
--dav0
DesmoDiva

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »

This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!

sorry couldn't resist.   Grin

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »

I missed a curve on a paved two lane country road somewhere around 60 mph and pretty much slammed into a hillside with my right front side of my body. I ended up about 15 feet from my bike on my back in a small ditch. I remember 4 distinct hard concussions but never lost conciousness. I sustained 4 right side broken ribs, a punctured lung, dislocated right shoulder, sprained right and left knees and ankles and lots of soft tissue damage. I was wearing a Shoei X-11 Edwards 9 Helmet which only had some mud splatters on it. I had on a Ducati Corse leather Jacket which only had mud on it. My Dainese Mekong Pelle leather pants again only had mud on them. My Alpinestars SMX Plus Racing Boots had mud all over them . It had rained the night before and the ditch I came to rest in was standinging some water and had several inches of mud . My boots did have water in them . I was wearing a BMW back protector under my jacket. After and hour in the basement at the sink with a sponge and cool water and then leather conditioner no one would know any of the gear was ever off the road. I didn't even have a mark on the outside of my body. Whether I survive is still not a 100% for sure. This happened on 4/5 and I had a Thorocatomy last week and spent 4days in the Hospital and I still hurt like Hell ! I have only about 60% of my lung capacity and hope I feel good enough to ride by June . I'm no longer coughing (oooooooool) up blood clots , I guess that's a good thing.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »

I missed a curve on a paved two lane country road somewhere around 60 mph and pretty much slammed into a hillside with my right front side of my body. I ended up about 15 feet from my bike on my back in a small ditch. I remember 4 distinct hard concussions but never lost conciousness. I sustained 4 right side broken ribs, a punctured lung, dislocated right shoulder, sprained right and left knees and ankles and lots of soft tissue damage. I was wearing a Shoei X-11 Edwards 9 Helmet which only had some mud splatters on it. I had on a Ducati Corse leather Jacket which only had mud on it. My Dainese Mekong Pelle leather pants again only had mud on them. My Alpinestars SMX Plus Racing Boots had mud all over them . It had rained the night before and the ditch I came to rest in was standinging some water and had several inches of mud . My boots did have water in them . I was wearing a BMW back protector under my jacket. After and hour in the basement at the sink with a sponge and cool water and then leather conditioner no one would know any of the gear was ever off the road. I didn't even have a mark on the outside of my body. Whether I survive is still not a 100% for sure. This happened on 4/5 and I had a Thorocatomy last week and spent 4days in the Hospital and I still hurt like Hell ! I have only about 60% of my lung capacity and hope I feel good enough to ride by June . I'm no longer coughing (oooooooool) up blood clots , I guess that's a good thing.

Man that's rough! Did you post up in the crash analysis thread?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »

Man that's rough! Did you post up in the crash analysis thread?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I haven't yet . I will. I've got to find it first !

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »

I haven't yet . I will. I've got to find it first !

Here it is:
http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=119.0

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
virso

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

Double - I'm glad your surviving....well, seems sort of !! Keep chin up !!!

Hey, MsIncredible - good to see you over here in this other forum......!!! Went back to Kildare's the next day for another Bemish !!  chug
bbot5000

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »

This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!

Shoei ZII - lowside, hit some sand and gravel mid high speed corner

Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »

Shoei ZII - lowside, hit some sand and gravel mid high speed corner

All the reason I need to get preachy about full face vs. skull cap.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: