Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repackable muffler mod for more volume/pop  (Read 4057 times)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« on: May 06, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »

If you want louder, poppier exhaust, here's an idea.  Should work on ANY muffler that has a straight core and is designed to be opened & repacked.  I don't have pics, but maybe you can get the idea

I modded my Termi's.  The packing was gone, so I opened them with the intent of repacking.  At the same time, I wanted a unique sound too.  So, while I had my cores out, I pulled the screen stuff off them and wrapped the perforated metal core with standard header wrap (at any auto parts store).  Then I repacked tightly. 

My neighbors joking accuse me of cramming a small-block V8 the Monster because of the sound ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:41 AM »

Silly question, but doesn't the header wrap effectivly negate the packing and make them almost straight pipes ? Or is there some flow through the wrap into the packing. That's a pretty damned good idea, sucks ass I don't have a straight through core or I'd do it.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

I modded my Termi's.  The packing was gone, so I opened them with the intent of repacking.  At the same time, I wanted a unique sound too.  So, while I had my cores out, I pulled the screen stuff off them and wrapped the perforated metal core with standard header wrap (at any auto parts store).  Then I repacked tightly. 

My neighbors joking accuse me of cramming a small-block V8 the Monster because of the sound ~

JM

lol - doesn't everyone want louder pipes?  Grin Any chance of a sound file? Or a write up in the 'how to' section.. with a sound file?  waytogo

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »

yeah, the header wrap would make the mufflers sound like straight pipes -- it would be all "blat" and no deep tone.

I re-stuffed my mufflers with just stainless gauze and only a few layers.  much deeper sound and louder. 

straight pipes are easy to do.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
TJR178

2004 Monster S4R, 2010 HD FLHRC

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »

An old member on TOB named Strati did posted that tip back in the day.  He said you may loose some back pressure, but if you like the sound and the bike doesn't lose power, knock yourself out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: