Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:20:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plugging Tyres  (Read 2562 times)
andym

« on: November 25, 2009, 05:37:19 AM »

I have managed to get a screw in my rear tyre, this is now the third tyre that has been damaged since I move here 18 months ago, 2 on the bike and one on the car.  What is up with the roads in Dallas, I have never had any problems like this before.

I am getting fed up with buying new tyres, this one only has around 1000 miles on it, so I thought I would see if it could be plugged.

The screw is right in the middle and there is no other damage, the tyre is holding pressure so I have not removed the screw as I think it would then go flat.

Does anyone know where I should go to get it plugged?  Do tyre shops do this or is it a MC only deal?  Does the wheel and tyre have to be removed?

Cheers
Andy

M696 Dark
Jester

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:58:15 AM »

I have no problem plugging car tires, but I'm of the philosophy that you don't chance it when you only have two wheels underneath you.

That being said, if the hole is around dead center of the motorcycle tire and not in a tread gap, then plugging can be a safe fix instead of buying a new one.  I know your pain as I've replaced two brand new tires over the last three years that each had less than 50-100 miles on them when they got popped.  It sucks for sure.

A few hundred bucks and peace of mind is worth it I think.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
Jester

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »

Oh and just as an add-on.  I wouldn't let anyone touch your bike outside of a motorcycle shop... and honestly I got a feeling that they wouldn't plug it for safety reasons or liability, but I'm not really sure on that.  You may have to do it yourself.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:09:58 AM »

You may have to do it yourself.

Yup, I'm not aware of a shop that will plug.

Same situation when I bought my Monster--<500miles and screw, losing air.  Undecided
fastwin
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:13:07 AM »

Andy,

I holed a tire on my Gixxer 1000 when it was brand new. It was a 6-8mm size bolt. Luckily it wasn't near the edge of the tread (death to any tire, car or bike!), it was in the middle of the tire. I mentioned having to buy a new tire to my buddies at Action Suzuki-Kawasaki and they said they had a galvanized auto tire plug technique that they used. I brought the wheel in and they plugged the tire using their method and it worked perfectly until I wore the tire out and replaced it. Never gave it two thoughts or worry. When the repaired tire was removed I checked out the plug job on the inside and it looked perfect. The guys at the shop swore by their method and said any temporary roadside plug job is just unsafe for the long haul. I would have to agree.  

If I hole another fairly new tire again and it isn't near the edge of the tread I wouldn't hesitate to have Action repair it. waytogo [moto] Give 'em call. Ask for David Jones the service manager... tell him I sent you.
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:19:40 AM »

I stand corrected.  waytogo
andym

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:50 AM »

Andy,

I holed a tire on my Gixxer 1000 when it was brand new. It was a 6-8mm size bolt. Luckily it wasn't near the edge of the tread (death to any tire, car or bike!), it was in the middle of the tire. I mentioned having to buy a new tire to my buddies at Action Suzuki-Kawasaki and they said they had a galvanized auto tire plug technique that they used. I brought the wheel in and they plugged the tire using their method and it worked perfectly until I wore the tire out and replaced it. Never gave it two thoughts or worry. When the repaired tire was removed I checked out the plug job on the inside and it looked perfect. The guys at the shop swore by their method and said any temporary roadside plug job is just unsafe for the long haul. I would have to agree.  

If I hole another fairly new tire again and it isn't near the edge of the tread I wouldn't hesitate to have Action repair it. waytogo [moto] Give 'em call. Ask for David Jones the service manager... tell him I sent you.

Thanks Brian,

I just gave them a call, $31 if I bring the wheel, $75 if they have to remove it.

Next question and I know it seams like a stupid one, how hard is it for me to remove the wheel, I know it sounds bad but I have never done this before.  I have a rear stand so I can get her up.

M696 Dark
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:30 AM »

Next question and I know it seams like a stupid one, how hard is it for me to remove the wheel, I know it sounds bad but I have never done this before.

You might be able to get it off (maybe), but getting it back on is very exacting- the right order, the correct torque settings, the right amount of chain slack, etc... You life is riding on that back tyre  waytogo

Lucrece had a back wheel come off while riding n the Hill Country (installed by a Ducati dealer- the tech was fired immediately).

Maybe check with Randy at MotoPia...

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
muskrat

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:47 AM »

you can also buy tires at cycle gear and get the insurance for money on top and they'll replace it with a new one.  I'm not sure others offer this but it's worth checking.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
andym

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:29:03 AM »

you can also buy tires at cycle gear and get the insurance for money on top and they'll replace it with a new one.  I'm not sure others offer this but it's worth checking.

I've been screwed once already for tyre insurance, never again.

When we brought the EOS, Boardwalk VW basically forced the the 'Tyres for Life' program on us, paid about $1000 for it, would be a good deal if we have the car for 4 years.  Last month find damage to front tyre, in side wall so no chance of repair, contact Boardwalk and find out 'tyres for life' was run by another company, who went bust and  Boardwalk will not honour the contracts.

M696 Dark
fastwin
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »

Nice. Tongue That's BS! Reason #4,286 to never buy any of that extra s#@t dealers try to hard sale you with at the closing. My favorite response is "I don't mind you asking if you don't mind me saying no". Usually shuts the BS down immediately.
muskrat

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »

Tom said he paid 30 bucks for his insurance, sure beats the he'll out of 1k.  

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
RichD

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »

If it's a fairly new tire, and a size I'd use (120/70, 180/55, 190/55, 170/55 or 160/55-17) ,
I will charge you "nothing"* to change it out (I have a No-Mar changer) -as long as I can keep the "old" one.  Grin

Plugs don't scare me.
I wouldn't track a plugged tire -but for street use it's OK by me.

I've plugged probably a dozen tires with no ill effects (both cars and bikes)   waytogo

*I'd GIVE you $10 for Bridgestone BT-002's  Wink

...Lucrece had a back wheel come off while riding n the Hill Country (installed by a Ducati dealer-...

I think it was an independant shop (but one with a good reputation) if I remember right...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:40:07 PM by RichD » Logged

DFW-MFer!
andym

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »

Just got back from Action.  They removed the wheel, patch/plugged the hole, balanced and refitted for $72.  It only took  around half an hour. 

Now we'll see how it holds up.

Thanks for the help/advice.

M696 Dark
fastwin
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »

It'll hold. Like Rich, I have never had a problem from a permanent patch/plug job that was done right. On the road, temporary fix I would trust only long enough to get me home. I had that tire plugged by Action over triple digits numerous times on the Gixxer over it's life and never worried a bit. Sustained 100+ or track days: no. Glad it all worked out. waytogo Hope they didn't charge you more if you mentioned my name!! laughingdp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: