Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:00:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you still ride if...  (Read 6685 times)
CannedIce

« on: December 02, 2009, 08:17:25 AM »

...you just found out you were pregnant? Our UPS driver and I were talking about that for some reason yesterday and I thought it appropriate with Somegirl's news!

I'm talking more about the very beginning stages of pregnancy as the later stages would get challenging with a big belly in the way Wink What about after the baby is born? What are your thoughts?

For the record, I'm not pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant anytime soon, I just think it makes for an interesting discussion.

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
kp

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:32:53 AM »

well, there's a whole lot of factors that go into that question. Such as: how experienced
a rider you are, how aggressively you ride, straights or twisities, and what time of day you
plan on riding, and how you feel and if it was a high risk pregnancy.

I think I'd still ride if it was during the day during the week. Straights and a few mild
twisites but not aggressively. Country or back roads and not in the city. And only if I felt well and rested.   [moto]
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:41 AM »

Based partially on my own experience, and on the reassurances of my (former) Sister in Law, who is an OB doc, any traumatic experience that's severe enough to harm the fetus is probably going to kill you, too.

That little sucker is really well protected in there!

She told me a story about a woman who was in a car accident out in the boonies, got out of the car and walked a couple miles to get help. With fractured hip bones.  Shocked She was pregnant. And the baby was fine, born full term, no complications.

The idea that pregnant women are somehow fragile is mostly a myth leftover from more patriarchal times. Caveats of course for "high risk" pregnancies.

What I mean to say is, no need to change your riding style just 'cause you're 4 weeks pregnant, assuming you ride within your skill level, ATGATT, etc etc. If you're usually an excessively risky rider, well, that's another conversation....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:34:49 AM by duqette » Logged

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »

Based partially on my own experience, and on the reassurances of my (former) Sister in Law, who is an OB doc, any traumatic experience that's severe enough to harm the fetus is probably going to kill you, too.

That little sucker is really well protected in there!

She told me a story about a woman who was in a car accident out in the boonies, got out of the car and walked a couple miles to get help. With fractured hip bones.  Shocked She was pregnant. And the baby was fine, born full term, no complications.

The idea that pregnant women are somehow fragile is mostly a myth leftover from more patriarchal times. Caveats of course for "high risk" pregnancies.

What I mean to say is, no need to change your riding style just 'cause you're 4 weeks pregnant, assuming you ride within your skill level, ATGATT, etc etc. If you're usually an excessively rider, well, that's another conversation....

I'm never going to be a mom, but I don't think it can be put much better than this.

The decision should be based more on the realities and responsibilities of parenthood than on pregnancy. My wife didn't yet ride back when she was pregnant, but she did race cars. I have a video of her 7 months pregnant beating the pants off of an entire field of autocrossers (including me, sadly) and winning a very expensive set of tires. The issues and concerns at the time were the same as they would be now that we have a 14 year-old. For that matter, my own driving in that event involved exactly the same issues that hers did, just as my riding involves the same as hers does these days. If she were to become pregnant now (which would involve a couple of medical miracles), she'd probably stop riding when her gear didn't fit properly, when she had trouble getting on or off the bike, or something like that rather than simply because of being pregnant.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »

I'm still riding, I'm currently in my 6th week.  I expect I will stop when my gear no longer fits comfortably.

I live in the twisties, so I am riding in the twisties, but I am already taking a bit easier pace and only doing it to commute now, rather than riding on the weekends when the squids are out.

I'm also still riding my bicycle (plan on doing it as long as I can) but I am already taking a break from doing the epic climbs/descents because of the risk and my energy levels are down.  Instead I'll stick to easier rolling hills.  At some point I'll have to switch to my more upright bike with a lower frame, but right now the road bike still feels good. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Qwack

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »

As others have said, it really depends on what you're comfortable with...and what your doctors say.

For me, I didn't ride more so because it was already winter and cold, by the time the nice weather came around I had nice size bump going...although, I did take a ride on the back of my husbands bike just down the block and back...he got a new bike and I just had to go for 1 ride before he turned it solo.

As for now both my husband and I still ride, I hit a deer back in May which was very scary...I am thankful I wasn't seriously injured...I am still going to ride, and my husband still rides...our son who just turned 3 has a yamaha pw50 he will be riding come this spring...he loves to sit on our bikes and start them up always has...must be in the genes  waytogo

CannedIce

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »

This is so awesome! My initial feeling was to say no, I wouldn't ride if I became pregnant, but hearing all of your opinions and experiences it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. The UPS guys was saying to never stop riding even after I have kids! I have heard others say they stopped as soon as their child was born. It is true that it should be what you are comfortable with and I am warming up to the idea. Although, I won't even be thinking about starting a family for at least 5 more years. Need more time to play Smiley

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »

If I were to become pregnant by some divine intervention( laughingdp )I would never stop riding. In fact If I were to become pregnant I would not stop laughing!!

I say ride whilst you can,enjoy every mile of it,for in a few short weeks the leathers wont fit.

Then I'll go on a diet and well trade for pickles,cheesecake and fried banana pancakes with oodles of syrup.

Ride safely,but above all enjoy it.

Be well

badgalbetty.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:38:36 PM by badgalbetty » Logged

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »

Can I get fried pickle pancake flavored ice cream? Grin

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:21:43 AM »

sounds like a fine exploratory road trip on the bike to find that and demarcate the location in Mr I's GPS for the late night pregancy cravings during the 3rd trimester!!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
DucaChic

09 Monster 696

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:20 AM »

Yes I would and did when carrying my son.

At first I was uncertain, but my OB said the baby is very well protected and that an accident that was severe enough to harm the baby would probably be fatal for me too (no different than riding any other day).

The cold and nasty weather came 6 months later and I put the bike away for Winter before it ever became uncomfortable to ride. Next Spring I was back riding again.

It is a personal decision and one that both expecting parents must support.

dolci

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »

I got my Monster when my daughter was 7.  She thinks it's totally cool and brags to friends; she drags them into the garage and asks to pose on it all the time; she's even been trying my helmet on.

Maybe I'm more conservative than I would be if I didn't have a child that relies and depends on me but I don't think that it will make me stop riding...at least it isn't in my plans.  Maybe I also carry more insurance than I would if I didn't ride so that I (and my daughter) would be taken care of something happened.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 06:52:07 PM »

Sure can............this is America! laughingdp

Also don't forget to add melted Cabdbury's chocolate lightly drizzled over your icecream! Yum

Be well

BGB.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:57:36 PM by badgalbetty » Logged

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
azoomm

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »

I have two daughters - ages 15 and 12.  I didn't ride when I was pregnant with them - it wasn't comfortable.  I mean, I had weird cramping each time I got on the bike - so I stopped.  In my opinion, it's like with anything else... if it's not working for you, don't do it. 

Common Sense applies  Grin

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »

The worst part about riding while pregnant so far...

You know how uncomfortable that V-twin can be when you really have to pee?
Well, the pregnancy hormones make me have to pee ALL the time.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: