Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 09:46:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No man is gonna tell me what to do!  (Read 6126 times)
CannedIce

« on: December 17, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »

Went to the dentist this morning for a cleaning yay (sarcasm)! My hygienist and I got to talking about bikes and how much she wants one. Her boyfriend rides, but he tells her she can't ride one because she is too clumsy and short.

I told her everything I could about my training, the MSF course, and to not let him hold her back! I also let her know very honestly, that I am clumsy, just as tall as her, and I ride just fine!!

Needless to say that sort of thing boils my blood. I say ditch the boyfriend or at least just go pursue it and tell him to deal.

What about you gals? Would you put up with that?

Candice Babineau

----Bikes-------
2009 Monster 696
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »

Show that twit of a so-called boyfriend the door, get a motorcycle, and go find one of the many men who ride and love women who also ride.

sheesh.

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
kp

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »

Show that twit of a so-called boyfriend the door, get a motorcycle, and go find one of the many men who ride and love women who also ride.

sheesh.

+1

Would you put up with that?

not for a nano second!

does he walk upright?

Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:31:50 PM »

<peeks head in>
Gawd, I wish I could find a woman with that much spine.
<ducks back out>

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »

sheesh.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Stella

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »

Another one here who's blood boils at crap like that.  There is not a chance that the girl is clumsy or too short.  Maybe lacking self confidence because of everything that douche of a b/f has said to her over however long of a period of time.

Puppies, kittens and women like this.  I want to save them all....   

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
azoomm

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »

Something to remember, each one of us have our path to take through life.  And, with that path, lessons to learn along the way.  I was married to THAT guy.  He is [still] very macho, chest pumping, jealous, possessive, almost neanderthalic. 

I have to thank him.

I'm kind of joking, and kind of serious.  Without living the experience of dating, loving, marrying, then waking up... I wouldn't be who I am today. 

He told me I couldn't do it.  I was dumbfounded.  There I stood, imagine a petulant child with hands balled at my sides my thoughts screaming "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!!"  And, I wanted to do it MORE because he told me I can't.  Not that he wouldn't let me, but that I didn't have it in me. 

I will say this, once upon a time I wanted EVERYONE to ride.  Someone would tell me they thought about riding and I would chime in how to, where for, excited to champion anyone to the lifestyle.  Now, I've come to understand this is not something for everyone.  If someone can't realize it a bit for themselves, they very well might not be ready for it.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »

I am willing and offering to be the voice of dissent with some level of reasoning...

now, I am not saying that a woman can't or shouldn't ride. my current GF, who is a member here, ridesa Monster 620 due to my influence, as well as my last GF who rides/rode a Suzuki Bandit 600, due to my influence, and my soon to be ex wife, also due to my influence, rode/rides a Honda Hawk GT/NT650....

I also know curerently of a female who wants to ride and is clumsy and has taken lessons and has ridden a dirtbike and she is VERY crash prone, due to many factors....I am quite frankly of the opinion that I hope she never gets a bike on the street, because she will potentially hurt herself seriously or someone else or both...

not knowing this woman in the origional post, I don't know of any of the circumstances, if they are comparable or not....but I call em like I see em, and if I think someone is a potential danger to themselves or to me or someone else...then I am am gonna say so...but it would be after some level or method of attempt, like with a dirtbike in a field, not arbitrarily based on gender or height or some other census bureau statistic....

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
kp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »

I too have a friend, female, that would love to ride solo. She bought herself a gixxer 600
(or whatever that bike is!) and crashed it 3 times in one summer. Sold it and then rode around on level dirt on my Yamaha xt225. She couldn't handle that either, and didn't seem as if she ever would. I told her stay a backpack.

BUT, I think the gist of this thread is that a man told his gf she can't ride. Based on what? perhaps his own insecurity, or his neanderthalic views? If she's never ridden solo, how would he know if she's to clumsy to do it?

I say, let her take the MSF beginner class and make her own mind. I just bristle at anyone
telling me I can't do something.

just my .02
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:50:38 AM »

My current GF is very interested in riding and we bought her a 1972 CB175 to learn on.  She is the only one I know that has passed her MSF after dumping the bike twice during the test.  That says something about her spunk (and perhaps her looks). 

She seriously lacks confidence (and coordination) and it scares me.  I've been riding for years and just sort of have a knack for machines.  I keep trying to encourage her to get out and do things in safe environment so she can get her confidence up including trucking the bike somewhere quiet.  The local MSF course is permanently painted on a large parking lot and I have offered to do drills with her there.  Time schedules haven't allowed for much of that yet.  Any tips to help her get her confidence up?

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
kp

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »

Any tips to help her get her confidence up?

hours in the saddle.  any of her/your friends that she can ride with? you know the old saying "never take a lesson from your spouse".

where do you live?
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »

hours in the saddle.  any of her/your friends that she can ride with? you know the old saying "never take a lesson from your spouse".

where do you live?
]

That's exactly what I told her, but she is SUPER intimidated by DC roads (I'm in DC).  I think when it warms again, we will try trucking the bike out to some quieter country roads.  I know none of her women friends have bikes and I only have a couple of guys I ride with.  There are a few women on the CAM forum here that might be interested in taking her under their wing.

We've tried riding around the neighborhood some and she gets really stressed.  She can barely stay out of her own way......

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
kp

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »

DC? I'd be intimidated as well!

Doesn't sound like she's at all ready for any street. Find a quiet large parking lot,
you ride the bike there, have her follow in a car, then hours making circles and
figure 8s in both directions? That's the best I can come up. Bring a book and lawn chair
and for heavens sake, watch her without appearing to watch her. Don't forget: praise,
compliment, tell her she's doing great!

I live in Minneapolis or I'd be happy to help. Seriously, there's no better trainer
than hours in the saddle.

Keep us posted on her progress.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »

I think the moral of the story is that it don't matter if it's male or female, if you're a cluts it would be best to stay off a bike.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »

I think the moral of the story is that it don't matter if it's male or female, if you're a cluts it would be best to stay off a bike.

But also don't tell your SO that they are too much of a klutz, leave that to the MSF instructors.

What was that slogan again?

Oh yeah:

"Save a marriage, let a professional teach you to ride. MSF saving marriages since 1973."

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: