Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 03:24:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex Box questions..... Do you like them, still?  (Read 5959 times)

« on: December 28, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »

Well, I have a 98 M900 with high mount Remus exhaust

I have inquired about boomtubes, shorty GP exhaust and come to the conclusion that my last choice to clean up the rear of my bike... and still retain a decent decibel level is the Ex Box system.

My question of you who currently run this system are you happy with it?
Are there any issues I should be aware of ?
Thanks

Happy New year!!!

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Chchadder

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »

I loved my ExBox and underbike exhausts in general.  So much so that I am trying to talk a few exhaust manufacturers into developing one for my Daytona. But that's another story.

The ExBox for me was the perfect decibel level.  Not Boom Tube or Termi loud, but notably louder than stock.  It had a little bit of a metallic edge to the sound, but overall deep and rumbly.

Some folks aren't crazy about the design of the box itself, but that is all subjective regardless of the exhaust choice you make.  I personally think its a sin to cover up the rear wheel if you can avoid it, plus it's a lot easier to clean.  Once I put my white Dymags on, believe me I was glad that I didn't have cans on either side of the wheel.

If I get another Monster I wouldn't hesitate to put one on again.

09 Triumph Daytona 675 - Rocket -
07 695 Custom Dark - Sold -

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. ~Hunter S. Thompson
DoWorkSon

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »

I'm thinking about getting one myself... torn right now on which exhaust to get...

Did you have issues with clearance from the ground? rocks and other road debris hitting it?

What about taking turns, any chance of the bike hitting on sharp turns?

2003 BMW R1150GS- The commuter
2009 M696--SOLD

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Thanks for the report Chchadder!! [moto]

Anyone need a complete Remus system!!?

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »

I'm thinking about getting one myself... torn right now on which exhaust to get...

Did you have issues with clearance from the ground? rocks and other road debris hitting it?

What about taking turns, any chance of the bike hitting on sharp turns?

no clearance issues. i think the ex-box actually has a narrower/shorter profile than the stock udder, so good to go there. never had mine hit/get hit by anything on the road that caused damage

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »

i always loved the look, but the sound wasnt worth the $1100 bucks someone needs to pay to get one.

It sounds VERY VERY similar to an open udder, and what am I paying for? $1100 for a box that a monkey could weld together?

I like to pay for something thats worth money that i dont come by very easily, and the exbox is not in the "worth money" pile.

However if money is no object, i think it looks and sounds great.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »

i always loved the look, but the sound wasnt worth the $1100 bucks someone needs to pay to get one.

It sounds VERY VERY similar to an open udder, and what am I paying for? $1100 for a box that a monkey could weld together?

I like to pay for something thats worth money that i dont come by very easily, and the exbox is not in the "worth money" pile.

that's my problem I don't have a pile of cash!!! Cry
to justify this purchase I would sell my current Remus system
& I love it's sound.  I am just thinking about a different look

I still may look into trying to find short cans 6"-8" long & fabricating them on
right by Bottom of the swingarm on each side?

Anyone got any suggestions?

LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »

that's my problem I don't have a pile of cash!!! :'(
to justify this purchase I would sell my current Remus system
& I love it's sound.  I am just thinking about a different look

I still may look into trying to find short cans 6"-8" long & fabricating them on
right by Bottom of the swingarm on each side?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Viper has stubby's and micro slip ons. Check ebay for them. They typically run @ $500 or less. Some of their designs I really like.

http://www.viperracecans.com/900monster.asp

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VIPER-MICRO-OVAL-EXHAUST-DUCATI-600-750-900-MONSTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59be1106QQitemZ130354647302QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:37:23 PM by LowThudd » Logged

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

Viper has stubby's and micro slip ons. Check ebay for them. They typically run @ $500 or less. Some of their designs I really like.

http://www.viperracecans.com/900monster.asp

ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VIPER-MICRO-OVAL-EXHAUST-DUCATI-600-750-900-MONSTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59be1106QQitemZ130354647302QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks Lowthudd
I think I can low mount my Remus system like that...what I want is something that barely if at all covers the rear wheel at most up to the axel.
Am asking for the impossible?
& decent sound level & tone?
Thanks Guy's for everyones 02.

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »

I'll have a used one to sell as soon as I weld a new mounting bracket that allows for grommets.  It fits the desmoquattro S4R and the S2R 800.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

I'll have a used one to sell as soon as I weld a new mounting bracket that allows for grommets.  It fits the desmoquattro S4R and the S2R 800.

Would it fit my 98 M 900 Monster?

1KDS

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »

Would it fit my 98 M 900 Monster?
no. 

I have an ex-box and like it to a certain extent.  I like opening up the rear wheel on the sssa, but your bike is dssa so it may not matter as much.  it doesn't sound nearly as good as a arrow or termi or other similar system, it's louder than stock but not nearly as loud as uncorked arrows.  I think the sound level is perfect but sound quality isn't there.  Looks...personal preference, I like it but it could look better.

Every bike I've ever owned.
superjohn

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »

See, I have to disagree. I like the sound of my ex-box better than Termi's. It's unique and not super insanely loud, but still deeper with a resonance at certain frequencies that I like.

However, since the price went up, and I had a huge problem getting the thing on (which apparently has been fixed on new systems) I would probably shop around a little more and look seriously at Boom Tubes or something else.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »

they actually sound nothing alike, except that they are both attached to a ducati.
of course ,thats just from the perspective of someone who ran an open udder for 2 years before going to the ex-box.

<leaves .02 on the table and walks out>

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »

they actually sound nothing alike, except that they are both attached to a ducati.
of course ,thats just from the perspective of someone who ran an open udder for 2 years before going to the ex-box.

<leaves .02 on the table and walks out>

then its just opinion because i ride with an open udder and rode next to chchadder for about 2 years on his 695 with an exbox. the sound to me, is pretty similar. Udder is louder but the tone is very close. Yes i wear earplugs.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: