Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:42:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 quick NYPD observations  (Read 6479 times)
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »

Within 15 minutes I observed 2 things about our local LEO's.

1 - I had my bike out on the street today, under a cover while I was at work.  When I went to work on it this evening, someone had slipped the ubiquitous orange envelope - you know what THAT means Tongue - in the cover venting.

No ticket, just the envelope.  I'm thinking it was a warning?

2 - Two plain-clothed officers were searching a stopped car on 13th street.  Here's the rub - the officers were using a "taxi" Shocked

I mean it was a Crown Vic all done up like a taxi - medallion and all - but the interior was pure "cop car" and the lights were all strobes - especially up front.

Not sure how I'd feel if a yellow taxi with flashing lights came up behind me... Huh?

Anyway - food for thought.

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

Vigilante!!!!!!!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:40:25 AM »

DO you have a plate on the bike?  tommy, I would check online to make sure they didn't give you a ticket, and it' didn't just float away.  Or, someone else got a ticket and they stuck it in there.

I've seen those "taxi" cop cars before, and I've thought the same thing.  Even worse, I've seen a black what looked like escalade which was a cop car, pulling cars over.  I don't think I would stop for that if they tried pulling me over.

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 04:58:27 AM »

I've seen those "taxi" cop cars before, and I've thought the same thing.

I have aways wondered if cops would do that, my biggest fear has come true...... bang head

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 05:17:40 AM »

I was caught by cops in a undercover minivan in the Bronx. I was on my blades and started to hold onto a bus.

just curious, why would you hesitate to pull over from a UC over a plain clothes?

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:44:12 AM »

This is where you can find if you got a ticket or not:
http://nycserv.nyc.gov/NYCServWeb/NYCSERVMain

IMO, under cover in a cab for police work is fine, traffic enforcement is a different story though.  In some parts of the country unmarked cars can not be used for traffic enforcement due to predators posing as police.
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »

This is where you can find if you got a ticket or not:
http://nycserv.nyc.gov/NYCServWeb/NYCSERVMain

IMO, under cover in a cab for police work is fine, traffic enforcement is a different story though.  In some parts of the country unmarked cars can not be used for traffic enforcement due to predators posing as police.

Thanks for the link - saved me a search!  No tix for me - so far Cool

desmos2r1k

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »

Cabs are everywhere... They blend in well.. And yes I have been pulled over by them before..

Easiest way to tell.. The # on top of the cab starts with 6Y and the license plates aren't the standard 4 digit taxi plates but Livery.
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

Also if a cab has 2 people in it and they are both in front, odds are...

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

Got Duc

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »

Sneaky cops!

That is almost not fair.

Why do roaches always die on their back?

That because the survivors flip them over to steal their sneakers and wallets.
CountGreffi

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »

Okay not bike related BUT. I was walking down 23rd Street. Going cross town toward NJ. My friend and I were smoking a bowl (I was 19 at the time). My friend stops, while I pee in a parking lot (19 at the time), hits the bowl but puts it up really high for some reason like holding it upward. We are walking toward a light when a taxi with two guys in the front hop out. They say "Oh it's just weed" because by the looks of it it looked like the way a crack pipe would be hit they said. Now my brother is a State Trooper in NY, I just stand there. They run my friend's license make sure no warrants. Hand him the bowl and the bag of weed back. NYPD are cool. You gotta know that they have bigger shit to do then make the beast with two backs with guys on bikes. Like rapes and murders. Riding in NYC for me is a joy because cops don't mess with me ever, and if they do I have my brother being a trooper to bail me out.

cg

Bikes:
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800, Black
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Okay not bike related BUT. I was walking down 23rd Street. Going cross town toward NJ. My friend and I were smoking a bowl (I was 19 at the time). My friend stops, while I pee in a parking lot (19 at the time), hits the bowl but puts it up really high for some reason like holding it upward. We are walking toward a light when a taxi with two guys in the front hop out. They say "Oh it's just weed" because by the looks of it it looked like the way a crack pipe would be hit they said. Now my brother is a State Trooper in NY, I just stand there. They run my friend's license make sure no warrants. Hand him the bowl and the bag of weed back. NYPD are cool. You gotta know that they have bigger shit to do then make the beast with two backs with guys on bikes. Like rapes and murders. Riding in NYC for me is a joy because cops don't mess with me ever, and if they do I have my brother being a trooper to bail me out.

cg

I dont know what your talking abuot man but during the day time, all i see cops doing is busting balls. Hell i saw a cop running to give a parked UPS truck a ticket. he wasnt even traffic patrol, just a regular cop in a regular CVPP. On top of that, i parked my bike in front of a bar for an interview, its a residential place, no parking meters, just alt side parking. He parks in front of my bike, and stares at it. I give him a wave as i get back on it. he just sits there and starts asking me a bunch of stupid questions, i guess he must of thought i was drunk or something. Another cop sat at a light for a good 30 seconds while i was behind him on a single lane street. I dare not blow my horn, so i jsut wait. and all hes doing is staring at the sky with his hands on the wheels. then he starts to move at 10mph. for a whole 1/2 mile (its a 30mph speed limit zone) this was ALL today.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Kroe

get him a.... Cranberry juice

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

You gotta know that they have bigger shit to do then make the beast with two backs with guys on bikes. Like rapes and murders. Riding in NYC for me is a joy because cops don't mess with me ever, and if they do I have my brother being a trooper to bail me out.

cg

Far from the truth man. A new friend of mine, NYPD, confirmed it on Memorial day when I showed him my bike. His exact words "you know, you painted a target on your back by buying that type of bike". He then went on to tell me the monster wouldn't get much attention or a cruiser for that matter, but sportbikes are targets for patrolman.  Should make for an interesting summer  Grin...

Sorry for the TJ

07' CBR600RR... "The Ice-Pick"
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »

Riding in NYC for me is a joy because cops don't mess with me ever, and if they do I have my brother being a trooper to bail me out.

cg

Have you not seen all the threads and posts about targeted moto harassment?

You may be lucky with family on the force, but I don't think it's gonna help if you run into this:

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=2732.0

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

I dont know what your talking abuot man but during the day time, all i see cops doing is busting balls. Hell i saw a cop running to give a parked UPS truck a ticket. he wasnt even traffic patrol, just a regular cop in a regular CVPP. On top of that, i parked my bike in front of a bar for an interview, its a residential place, no parking meters, just alt side parking. He parks in front of my bike, and stares at it. I give him a wave as i get back on it. he just sits there and starts asking me a bunch of stupid questions, i guess he must of thought i was drunk or something. Another cop sat at a light for a good 30 seconds while i was behind him on a single lane street. I dare not blow my horn, so i jsut wait. and all hes doing is staring at the sky with his hands on the wheels. then he starts to move at 10mph. for a whole 1/2 mile (its a 30mph speed limit zone) this was ALL today.

Let's not turn this into a generic cop bashing thread.  Some folks on the board are LEOs and I am sure most of them are good guys.  Us against city policy is one thing.  Us against them is another.  I have had both good and bad experiences with the police.  The good by far out way the bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: