Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:27:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me find my thesis; lost in microsoft word?  (Read 4591 times)
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »

My word setting state that it autosaves a recovery file every ten minutes, but the recovery folder doesnt have the file I worked on for two hours.  bang head bang head

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
derby

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »

My word setting state that it autosaves a recovery file every ten minutes, but the recovery folder doesnt have the file I worked on for two hours.  bang head bang head

did you try this?

if it's not in the normal temp directory, it may be in the temporary internet files.

look in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

look for a folder name that begins with OLK if you're using outlook.

where are you downloading it from? what are you downloading it with?

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

if you hit save, and it was allowed, then open the version that is attached to the e-mail and see if you recognize it as the "new" version.
my system doesn't allow this to happen, but it has happened to others.

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »

Couldnt find it in temporary internet files either. I got it from my gmail account. I figure I must have hit "open," instead of "save" when I started. Still though, it must have been going somewhere...

Im sure the version attached to the email is still the old version.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
derby

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »

Couldnt find it in temporary internet files either. I got it from my gmail account. I figure I must have hit "open," instead of "save" when I started. Still though, it must have been going somewhere...

Im sure the version attached to the email is still the old version.

yup... it shoulda been in %temp% if you just saved it from word. sorry, mang.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »

Well, I've given up and am now working on re-writing what I did. Oh well. I'm absolutely positive it will turn up as soon as I'm done, but that's just how things work.

Thanks for the help.

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

Ah well, hopefully the rewrite will go quicker and be even better than the original.  good luck!

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
oldjackbob

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »

Not to say I'm perfect (or even remotely competent Undecided), but I decided long ago to do frequent saves, and if I'm working on a really important file, from time to time I'll save it as a different filename, and then periodically swap back and forth between the two filenames during my work session -- that way, if something disastrous happens to the file I'm working in, I have a not-too-distant copy in the other file.

What "disaster" could possibly happen, you ask? Well, in the past twenty years (yeah, I'm old) I've had a couple or three occasions where I lost power during a disk write, resulting in a complete loss of data -- in a critical file. On those occasions I was REALLY glad I operate the way I do!  waytogo

Just trying to offer a heads-up.

"You can't build a reputation on something you haven't done." -- H. Ford
knightrider

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:39 PM »

in word 2007, click on the circle in the upper left, goto word options in the lower bar. now goto save, there are 3 file locations there, check the autorecover file location, default file location, and also check the server drafts location.

word 2007 automatically saves every 10 minutes to an alternate location.

hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:20:12 PM by knightrider » Logged

1994 M900
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 09:36:28 AM »

i think the only thing left would be to search for all files and folders modified in the last day or so... whenever you edited the thing... and them sort the results by date modified, you should get something if it saved a copy at all... word keeps all it's changes and revisions inside the document but unseen unless you tell it to track revisions or something... if you can find it you could open it in a text editor like notepad and it should have the revisions you made in it

BTW, this is a cautionary tale for you word users... just because you delete it doesn't mean its gone... it's just hidden sometimes.

good luck!!

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: