Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 10:29:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which oil should i use?  (Read 13985 times)
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« on: May 06, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

someone had to start it...

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
Kaveh

Dirka Dirka

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »

extra virgin olive oil.  It's italian, right?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

That works on my SIDI boots.   wt:

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »

I upgraded to some Motorex Full Synthetic when I did the 748's oil not to long ago.... Just the change in oil was a HUGE difference in power... It was running like a raped ape... I can't wait to try it again with some lower grade oil to see if I have the same dramatic improvement in performace from just an oil change.
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »

Dang did someone give George the link here, that was one of the best reads ever.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »

Mobile-1 10w30 car oil.  Clutch was a little slippy until the grease got dirty and its perfectly fine.  I spend like 5 hours last weekend at 9k rpms, i wonder when my bike will die
The Architect

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:11:34 PM »

Please don't make me read another 30 something pages about oil............ I'll do it, I'll read all the posts and all the pages......... 

jagstang

Ramming speed...

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:04:44 AM »

I thought we had all agreed to disagree about oil?  Square one, here we come...  Wink

'09 1100
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:28:42 AM »

synthetic or conventional?

I upgraded to some Motorex Full Synthetic when I did the 748's oil not to long ago.... Just the change in oil was a HUGE difference in power... It was running like a raped ape... I can't wait to try it again with some lower grade oil to see if I have the same dramatic improvement in performace from just an oil change.

i've never seen an apre that has been raped run. did you try the olive oil? how did that work?

I thought we had all agreed to disagree about oil?  Square one, here we come...  Wink

yeah, i just wanted to be a dick. wt:

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
DCXCV

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »

synthetic or conventional?

Are you joking right now?  You can't run conventional olive oil in these high performance engines. :Smiley Synthetic olives only. 

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

Mineral spirits, or a high-grade 140wt gear oil should do the trick.  Anything in between, synthetic or otherwise, might lead to premature angina and sudden seizure of the horn button.  In fact we need to start a thread on high-performance titanium horn buttons with platformate and parrafin contact patch to help us achieve primo launch and testicular jiggle.  Oil?  Fill 'er up with sawdust and she'll be as quiet as a field mouse farting in the woods.  Yep, it's time for my medication.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »

Amsoil 20/50 motorcycle oil.

Couldn't find it yesterday so went with the Purple stuff 10/40 motorcycle oil.

I figure any full syn that is "motorcycle oil" is probably OK - had additives for the tranny.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »

After 2 years of MX4T, now using Shell Rotella 5W40 Type III synthetic (oh no, it's not Type IV!!!) and the bike shifts way better (yeah, wet clutch M800) - less false neutrals, much more positive shifts. And the exhaust doesn't stink like with MX4T, plus is about 1/2 the price of MX4T at Wallyworld.  And one of the new Amsoil super-duper filters, painted black.

Here's Shell's forum:  http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »

And one of the new Amsoil super-duper filters, painted black.

What's the part number for that?

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »

What's the part number for that?

It's EaO138C - and the C must be for Chrome, not Monster-like at all.  Word is Amsoil will soon produce a black one.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: