Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote reservoir mounting  (Read 2699 times)
coarsegoldkid

« on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »

This week I will be installing a new Penske shock with a remote reservoir on my S2R1000.  It came with radiator clamps and small rubber interface pieces to be used against the frame.  The clamps don't get any praise from me.  However I just don't know what else to use.  Have any of you found more eye pleasing clamps for this assembly.

You don't stop riding motorcycles when you get old.  You get old when you stop riding motorcycles.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »

There's someone here that was making nice billet clamps for Ohlins reservoirs, not sure if Penske is same size.

When installing your shock, make sure to check for interference between the top of the body and the rocker arm, on the right side.
Penske seems to be insistent on fitting a top eye on the shock that's too short.

Like this, and note, the top bolt isn't even in:

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
coarsegoldkid

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »

Speeddog, if there is an interference as you show how did you solve the problem?  Dremel grind the rocker arm?

You don't stop riding motorcycles when you get old.  You get old when you stop riding motorcycles.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »

Well, it was a customer bike, so I wasn't comfortable with relieving the rocker.

Sent the shock back to Penske, had 'em put a longer eye on it.

Hopefully they're not still sending them out with the short eye, but I've seen a recent Penske shock that had the issue.  Sad

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Wink

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »

This shock I ordered from TD was specifically for my S2R1000 so I hope it all fits.  They should know.  Right? I checked it and the fitting is located 90 degrees or about where the N is in PeNske in your picture.  The fitting is the same 90 degree fitting.  The top of the shock is machined differently so it maybe the correct length not to interfere with the rocker arm but it looks like the fitting will interfer with the black plastic part just to the rear of the shock.  I'm doing the swap in two days.  Fingers are crossed.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »

Can you post a picture of the top eye of your shock?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »

Here are the pictures.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »

Yep, you've got the longer top eye.  waytogo

Hopefully that's straightened out for good...  Undecided

For reference, here's the short one:

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

I'm still concerned about the fitting interfering with the black plastic part adjacent  to the rear of it.  It think that the fitting on mine needs to be 90 degrees to the left side as your pic shows.  Gee, I hope this goes well but I don't get a warm IZ_ feeling it will.  I'll post my findings.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »

IIRC, I've seen pics of a Penske with the fitting on the back, like yours.
It comes *very* close to the breather tank, but doesn't hit.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »

Thanks, I'll breathe easier then. Smiley

Cider

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »

This week I will be installing a new Penske shock with a remote reservoir on my S2R1000.  It came with radiator clamps and small rubber interface pieces to be used against the frame.  The clamps don't get any praise from me.  However I just don't know what else to use.  Have any of you found more eye pleasing clamps for this assembly.

I have a Penske on my SV, and I didn't like the hose clamps either, so I found some gigantic black zipties at Home Depot that look better, at least to my eye.  Many miles and a few trackdays later, and it's still solid.

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

Not bad, but he's going to enjoy the billet good-ness in 2 days Cheesy  waytogo

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »

I installed the Penske today.  It went fairly well.  The taller top eye did not interfer with anything. The added length on the top of the shock translated to about 5mm longer overall in shock length compared to the stocker.  The hydraulic fitting could have been angled down some 80 degrees or the hydraulic line a little shorter.  I angled it a few degrees and wanted more but was afraid of creating a problem.  The hydraulic line has a sharp bend.  Can't be helped.
It was a busy day.  I also re filled the front forks with the proper amount of oil.
Re-did the sag.  Not entirely happy with the results.  I can't get proper free sag after adjusting for proper rider sag.
Looking forward to the reservoir mounts.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: