Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 20, 2024, 03:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 584   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUN STUFF  (Read 837994 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #4395 on: January 28, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

kopf,

All the kidding posts aside, I hope your friend's leg will be OK. Looks really bad. Could happen to anyone. Lesson learned people. Be heads up and safe.

Hope he heals well with no complications. Thank God it wasn't a wound from the waist up. Wish him our best. waytogo

That's why I won't let my step son go up or down from his tree stand with his deer rifle loaded. Or climb over a barb wire fence.

fastwin

Wait, people get in and out of stands with weapons loaded?

Shocked

I wouldn't even consider that.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #4396 on: January 28, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »

Wait, people get in and out of stands with weapons loaded?

Shocked

I wouldn't even consider that.

Not an issue if it's on safe. Also a bolt over ride.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:35:11 PM by kopfjäger » Logged

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
77south

« Reply #4397 on: January 29, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »

I'm not a hunter, I have only shot my granpa's 22 when I was a kid, sometimes I peek in on this thread to get a glimpse of a world that is totally foreign to me.  But I thought only bowhunters hunted from tree stands?
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #4398 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »

Not an issue if it's on safe. Also a bolt over ride.

I've never trusted a safety enough to do that - but I'm a real wuss when it comes to tree stands. The weapon (bow, mostly) doesn't climb up or down with me but gets roped up & down, guns are unloaded with the action open. And I'll admit to using a harness when I'm up there.

Hope your friend heals fast & recovers as much use of the leg as possible!!!!

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
WarrenJ

« Reply #4399 on: January 29, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »

I wonder how much of the wound was from the high velocity powder gasses vs actual bullet damage.  At contact distances, that supersonic gas flow can be tremendously destructive.  Best wishes to your buddy.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #4400 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »

Looks as much as gas damage as bullet damage the way the flesh is rolled up.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #4401 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

I wonder how much of the wound was from the high velocity powder gasses vs actual bullet damage.  At contact distances, that supersonic gas flow can be tremendously destructive.  Best wishes to your buddy.

the essence of a male response to something like this.  change the forum and post that for a bunch of girls...

here we are all examining the wound and discussing the nature of the flesh rolling up... lols

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #4402 on: January 29, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

The rifle was laying against his leg, bullet only went an inch in, the wound is all from the over pressure of the barrel.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #4403 on: January 29, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »

The rifle was laying against his leg, bullet only went an inch in, the wound is all from the over pressure of the barrel.

What loads?  Commercial or home grown?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #4404 on: January 29, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »

What loads?  Commercial or home grown?

Store bought.

WarrenJ

« Reply #4405 on: January 29, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

here we are all examining the wound and discussing the nature of the flesh rolling up... lols

Over the years, I've been around/ had a couple of powder gas injuries on a far smaller scale - that injury had the same look, just WAY bigger - I've shot and butchered lots of critters with high powered rifles - bullet holes don't look that way.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #4406 on: January 30, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »

Over the years, I've been around/ had a couple of powder gas injuries on a far smaller scale - that injury had the same look, just WAY bigger - I've shot and butchered lots of critters with high powered rifles - bullet holes don't look that way.

Even exit wounds caused by 12 gauge slugs?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

WarrenJ

« Reply #4407 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

Slugs aren't typically going as fast as a high velocity rifle bullet so you don't typically see big coffee can sized smoking hole exits with slugs.  Some of the new expanding sabot style slugs might have different terminal effects.  With a high velocity expanding rifle bullet, you typically see a cavity and torn/pulverized tissue blown out, this wound looked like it was gouged out of the leg, which it was, mainly by the force of the supersonic powder gasses. 

Slugs typically don't have as much tissue damage as an expanding high velocity rifle bullet, unless you hit big bones, then all bets are off.  There are so many variables with terminal effects that
its hard to make any hard and fast statements about performance that you can't poke a lot of holes in. 

A slug's main claim to fame is its large frontal area and large mass.  It is going around 1000 fps or more slower than a typical rifle bullet.  It has a lot of momentum, mediocre sectional density (except in the case of some sabots)  and relatively low kinetic energy, where a good rifle bullet is faster, has better sectional density and has higher kinetic energy (and typically less frontal area, etc)

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #4408 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »

^ this... I'm a shotgun guy. WJ is right. waytogo bacon popcorn

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
hbliam
« Reply #4409 on: January 31, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »

Having the safety on might have been a good idea.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 584   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: