Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 07:08:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 584   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUN STUFF  (Read 788846 times)
fastwin
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »

Thought I'd try a new thread so folks (like me bang head) can have a place to post gun stuff without bogging down the gun pics thread. It's open to anything gun related. Hunting, target shooting, self defense, competition, military, gunsmithing, neat new stuff, historical stuff, technical problems, shooting problems, ammo, hand loading, cool stories, personal experience, guns you own, guns you want, guns you had once and are now kicking yourself for getting rid of it bang head, etc... You get the drift. Pictures are certainly welcome but I don't want to divert pics from the "Show Off Your Guns" thread.

Here's a cool story from the July 2010 NRA American Rifleman magazine:

A British sniper has established a new world record for the most distant confirmed kill in combat. Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison of the Household Calvary dispatched two Taliban machine gunners from a distance of 2,707 yards with an Accuracy International AWM (military designated L115A3) in .338 Lapua Magnum in November 2009. Harrison made the one and a half mile shots in the Helmand Province in southwestern Afghanistan in defense of an Afghani-British foot patrol at an elevation of approximately 3,400 feet. With "no wind, mild weather and clear visibility", as he put it, the sniper took the shots that beat the previous record held by Canadian sniper Rob Furlong, who killed a Taliban fighter at 2,657 yards in the Shah-i-Kot Valley of eastern Afghanistan in 2004 with a McMillan Tac-50.

Don't bother running, you'll just die tired! waytogo
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

as this thread gets off the ground, please remember, everyone, that gun politics talk will get it locked or removed.  Have fun...

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »

Here's a cool story from the July 2010 NRA American Rifleman magazine:

A British sniper has established a new world record for the most distant confirmed kill in combat. Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison of the Household Calvary dispatched two Taliban machine gunners from a distance of 2,707 yards with an Accuracy International AWM (military designated L115A3) in .338 Lapua Magnum in November 2009. Harrison made the one and a half mile shots in the Helmand Province in southwestern Afghanistan in defense of an Afghani-British foot patrol at an elevation of approximately 3,400 feet. With "no wind, mild weather and clear visibility", as he put it, the sniper took the shots that beat the previous record held by Canadian sniper Rob Furlong, who killed a Taliban fighter at 2,657 yards in the Shah-i-Kot Valley of eastern Afghanistan in 2004 with a McMillan Tac-50.

I just did some ballistics reading on the .338 Lapua a few days ago as a friend of mine used to shoot that round.

The effective range of the .338 Lapua is around 1900 yards.

Just did some additional reading and I guess the British military doctors up these rounds with low drag bullets and a shorter length (about 2mm), along with the same as the standard load in the amount of powder.

Rather amazing taking some length of the total shell and using a low-drag bullet can add that much range to the round!

That is one hell of a shot.

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

I want a 50 cal sniper rifle. Where do I sign up....

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »

I'll give you the number of a gunshop here in Columbus that has one for sale.

Bring your checkbook.

2004 S4r (mineeee)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »

I know a guy (licensed dealer) that had one a while back.

The checkbook would take a massive beating.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
fastwin
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »

Had the chance to shoot one but passed on the offer. Now I wish I had given it a try. Can't remember the rifle brand but it was a bolt action single shot I think, it was a long time ago. I'm friends with the guy that owns it and he f#@king "owned" that gun. That range only went out to 800 yards and I swear he could hit a baseball at that distance all day long! Former Marine sharp shooter years ago. Pretty impressive!! waytogo Maybe that's why he runs his own shooting academy now!!
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »

My gun club doesnt allow .50 BMGs to be fired on the property.  The neighbors already complain enough.

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »

The bolt action single is the one I really want....

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »

Just did some additional reading and I guess the British military doctors up these rounds with low drag bullets and a shorter length (about 2mm), along with the same as the standard load in the amount of powder.

Post up a link to this "low drag bullet."

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »

Post up a link to this "low drag bullet."

Read up about physics and then think about it.

It would be a more aerodynamic round, thus having less air resistance creating a further "flying" distance and a more accurate round. I am surprised a guru like yourself has never heard of low drag or ultra low drag bullets. I guess it takes a mall cop like me to know that.

I often have to take long shots from the food court all the way down to Macy's.

or

Do you want the links of where I found the info about the British shooter?

2004 S4r (mineeee)
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »

A link about the bullets, if you have it.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
DRKWNG
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »

At your friendly neighborhood recruiter office.   waytogo
DRKWNG
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

I am surprised a guru like yourself has never heard of low drag or ultra low drag bullets. I guess it takes a mall cop like me to know that.

There's most likely a pretty significant difference between not knowing anything about a topic, and knowing a fair amount but still wanting to check the facts behind a source that someone quoted.  Just saying... 
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »

The bolt action single is the one I really want....

A friend of mine during college borrowed one of his buddies bolt action rifles.

I believe it was a 270 Win Mag or something like that. All I know is the make the beast with two backsing thing was accurate as hell, the rounds were huge, and they weren't exactly cheap to buy.

We used to go to the grounds of Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center (CAJMTC), which is maybe 30mi south of Indianapolis on I-74. They had a really nice free, public range outfit. I guess it was considered a state park as there were two range masters at all times checking people in and of course managing the outfit. They had a nice covered pistol range and a really really nice, long rifle range. Then on another section was a "throw it yourself" trap space. So in all, a make the beast with two backsing great place.

We were out one day with this basically unknown accurate bolt action rifle that was cool and there was this dude with one of the of those big ass .50 GMG's. Holy make the beast with two backs was that thing really really loud. The man was very nice and always would let the range know before he was firing, so he didn't scare anyone so they were preferred for the beast to fire.

Wow is all I got.

My mall patrol team (PT) could really use one.

2004 S4r (mineeee)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 584   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: