Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 02:18:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 208864 times)
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #630 on: March 01, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »

What do you guys sharpen your blades with? I want to get something that is fairly portable/ travels well. Seems like at least a 3 grit system is necessary to get a proper edge from what I'm reading. It's also a skill it seems, requiring a bit of practice to do it well. Sharpening a knife would be such a therapeutic activity...

I use large whetstones at home, and I picked up a small double sided stone for the B.O.B.

Another option for portability would be this: http://www.amazon.com/DMT-FWFC-Double-Diafold-Sharpener/dp/B00004WFTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425245510&sr=8-1&keywords=dmt+sharpener

Sharpening on stones does require a bit of skill but it's easy to pick up with a little bit of practice. There is a ton of info regarding the "best" method of sharpening and how many levels of grit one needs to use. However, I've found that for a good working edge you don't really need more than two, especially if you don't use your knives for cutting concrete. Specific tools for specific jobs.

Along with my knives, I sharpen between 5-10 of my friends knives every month or three. If their edges are really beat up (chips and dents), like a friends Japanese cleaver, I'll use a three grit system. In that case I'll start with a 250 grit to get out the chips and dents, then move on to a 1000 grit stone followed by a 6000 grit stone and finally, a leather strop.

Honestly, two stones and a strop is usually more than enough for a very, very sharp working edge. And 6000 grit is on the high end for a working edge but I'm a sucker for a polished bevel.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #631 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

You just sold me on that DMT Diafold. Thanks, my OCD was driving me nuts looking at setups upwards of $100 with multiple grits and old reservoirs etc. None of my blades are *that* expensive, the most pricey is my ZT so I didn't want to buy something pricier than that. I carry and use all my knives, just rotate em depending on my mood/outfit/occasion.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #632 on: March 06, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »

Gary at (TKO> made a blade for me.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #633 on: March 06, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »

waytogo

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
pitbull

« Reply #634 on: March 07, 2015, 06:45:02 AM »

I like gerber's titanium paraframe folding knife. They are cheap and often go on sale at Canadian Tire for half price, which means about $12, depending on the size. I have a small collection of them as I pick 'em up on sale and then keep one in the truck, one in my tank bag, one in my bunker gear at work and a couple kicking around the house. If I have a couple lying around the house, it's easier to remember to stick one in my pocket when I walk out the door.

While they are not top quality knives, they are light, hold an edge very well and the paraframe reminds me of the trellis frame of my monster.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
LMT
Post Whore

« Reply #635 on: March 07, 2015, 06:49:23 AM »

I have been researching sharpening stones.  I have decided to go with Shapton.

http://www.shapton.com/
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #636 on: January 18, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »

I have been researching sharpening stones.  I have decided to go with Shapton.

http://www.shapton.com/

How's the Shapton been?  I'm in need of a sharpening stone.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #637 on: January 18, 2016, 08:26:25 AM »

I've been using crock sticks for a long time. I don't think they make the one I have any more, but have similar kits.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

red baron

« Reply #638 on: January 18, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »

Inexpensive Benchmade. Well made, perfect for everyday use.

Been using this same model for at least three years, super reliable.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #639 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »

I've been using crock sticks for a long time. I don't think they make the one I have any more, but have similar kits.

Thanks.  I'll give it a look, though it does look like a medieval torture device.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #640 on: January 18, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »

Thanks.  I'll give it a look, though it does look like a medieval torture device.
Consider the source bro... Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #641 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »

Hello,

Any input on these:

http://www.hoffmanrichter.com/hr-30.html

http://www.hoffmanrichter.com/products/hoffman-richter-knife-3.html

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:21 PM »

New poking device.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #644 on: September 06, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »

Forseti

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: