Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:45:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helmet less in Connecticut  (Read 8642 times)
fwtcc

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »

My girlfriend says my face is too pretty to get destroyed, it's my money maker apparently the reason she is with me. I like being with a hot girl, so my face will not be making an appearance in the wind while riding my bike.
cg

I could not agree with this more.  No SO, but I would like to make sure the one I get has relatively high aesthetic value without me having to make mega bucks, 1. that's not the type of girl I'm looking for, 2. I don't.

I have gone helmetless, and following the two downs that I've had I am damn grateful I wear a helmet and all the other jazz.  Skin graphs are awful.  I had them as a youngster and have no desire to require them again.  That and they don't heal up none too pretty either.  I can't imagine brain damage being all that enjoyable either. 

Most importantly though, a pretty face is a terrible thing to waste.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:29:16 AM by fwtcc » Logged

2005 S2R  R.I.P.

... I'm totally cool with my friends saying "You remember when William bit it?!  That was awesome!  How do you explode in a fireball while being crushed under a waterfall?!  I don't think I'll beat that..."
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:33 AM »

Most importantly though, a pretty face is a terrible thing to waste.

Even a not so pretty face is a terrible thing to waste.

Is it June yet?
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:47 AM »

ONE time, when i was 20 and down in washington state i rode about 1 mile without a helmet... it was an unnatural feeling and i was very uncomfortable with it. I frequently wear an open faced helmet when tooling around downtown or on country b-roads... and i am aware of MANY possible risks and bad-things that go along with that, but i choose to live with the potential consequences. no helmet at all is something that i PERSONALLY i am not comfortable with, and to be honest i think its too much of a risk... i have no problem with helmet laws, for kids on bicycles or adults on motorcycles... it doesn't take much of a whack to mess you up forever.

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »

ONE time, when i was 20 and down in washington state i rode about 1 mile without a helmet... it was an unnatural feeling and i was very uncomfortable with it. I frequently wear an open faced helmet when tooling around downtown or on country b-roads... and i am aware of MANY possible risks and bad-things that go along with that, but i choose to live with the potential consequences. no helmet at all is something that i PERSONALLY i am not comfortable with, and to be honest i think its too much of a risk... i have no problem with helmet laws, for kids on bicycles or adults on motorcycles... it doesn't take much of a whack to mess you up forever.

its not the governments job to tell the citizen what to do. its a slippery slope. 

love
the ron Evil

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
the ron

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »

nakid,

no helmet law in the nutmeg state. motto is: "let those who ride decide". where will you be in  the nutmeg state? subase? i live close. look me up chug

In woodbury, i look you up. when i get there! waytogo

the ron Evil

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »

I rode 98% of the last 12 years without it in AZ ans FL.  There's a helmet law here in WA.  I've gotten used to it.  Now, I'm moving to TX.  No helmets again.  I foresee myself wearing it more often but I'm glad I've got the choice again.

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »

I've ridden in shorts, sneakers, t shirt, and no helmet.  Now I ride with leather boots, pants, jacket, full face, gloves all armored, and a t-pro back protector.  I am comfortable in it and it doesn't restrict at all.  IF there was no danger I wouldn't need the gear and would be in shorts, sneakers, t shirt, and no helmet.

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »

In my past (hD days) I wore little to no gear. Now it's all gear all the time. It started before i switched to Ducati's. I took part in an advanced trauma course as part of my job. It was an eye opener to say the least. You only have to look at spilled brains one time to realize you want yours to stay in your head.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
ducmeister

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »

Was speaking to a friend just the other day who had an off after some nutter deliberately did a u turn in front of her.  Angry There was nothing she could do to avoid the collision.
As her head was about to hit the road she remembers thinking "this is going to hurt!".  Then as it happened she was surprised how little it actually did hurt. 
Fortunately she wasn't going real fast but even so, a dented helmet is a much better option than a dented head. waytogo

P.S.  The nutter got arrested.

'02 M900ie, DP CF mufflers, DP mirrors, CF side covers, beer tray, belt covers, and sprocket cover, K&N filter, clear indicators, Speedymoto 5 spoke clutch cover, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 06:43:28 AM »

In my past (hD days) I wore little to no gear. Now it's all gear all the time. It started before i switched to Ducati's. I took part in an advanced trauma course as part of my job. It was an eye opener to say the least. You only have to look at spilled brains one time to realize you want yours to stay in your head.

waytogo hate to say it but i've seen pictures... would never ever not wear one on the street again. i am all for the right to choose but don't see how you can win the skull vs. pavement battle. it's a rout...

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
aaronb

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »

CT must be like WI, we have no helmet laws here and i would guess that 90+% of the riders use it to their (dis)advantage, especially the weekend warriors, but also many sportbikes.  i feel like i am unique when i ride, i am on a relativly rare bike and when people see me, im in full gear.  i tend to get a lot of stares.

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
the ron

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

I've ridden in shorts, sneakers, t shirt, and no helmet.  Now I ride with leather boots, pants, jacket, full face, gloves all armored, and a t-pro back protector.  I am comfortable in it and it doesn't restrict at all.  IF there was no danger I wouldn't need the gear and would be in shorts, sneakers, t shirt, and no helmet.

thank you for understanding my point. thats what i meant when i started the poll. some feel uncomfortable without the gear on.  i feel that is partially because they are always used to wearing it. and of course its because of the type of bike they are riding. see quote below

CT must be like WI, we have no helmet laws here and i would guess that 90+% of the riders use it to their (dis)advantage, especially the weekend warriors, but also many sportbikes.  i feel like i am unique when i ride, i am on a relativly rare bike and when people see me, im in full gear.  i tend to get a lot of stares.

I don't think riding is about people staring at you, i rode a custom chopper that my friend built, and all kinds of people where staring at me.  I was annoyed. I guess all kinds of people ride for all kinds of different reasons. and thats fine but to me, the ride is all about the ride.

the ron Evil

aaronb

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »

I don't think riding is about people staring at you, i rode a custom chopper that my friend built, and all kinds of people where staring at me.  I was annoyed. I guess all kinds of people ride for all kinds of different reasons. and thats fine but to me, the ride is all about the ride.

the ron Evil

sorry, here should have been a little sarcasm in that.  i could care less what people think abut me. but it is true that a geared rider in WI is definitely not the norm.  more power too them, if that's what 'em happy. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
the ron

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »

sorry, here should have been a little sarcasm in that.  i could care less what people think abut me. but it is true that a geared rider in WI is definitely not the norm.  more power too them, if that's what 'em happy. 

Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant.  Smiley and, i see your point now, i tend to notice that more people in ct ride w/o gear, so it would get stares if you were wearing a lot of gear. but i have to tell you, on sunday (98 degrees in the shade)i was at marcus dairy and i saw this guy who had every piece of gear on you could imagine. he had this face thing that looked like a ski mask! it went overhis head, and had a flap that extended down past his chin all the way to the middle of his chest!   he had full leathers gloves everthing, he looked ridiculous. I mean if you are that worried about crashing why ride?

the ron Evil

XTR

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »

I'm a H-D guy and a card carrying ABATE member who happens to like to ride speedy bikes as well.  My gear choice depends on my intended riding.  If I'm on the FXDWG I only wear a lid if the law says I have to and then it's just a non-DOT with a DOT sticker (along with a bunch of others) .

When I ride speedy I'm usually in my Vanson jacket with the GP armor and my Shoei X-11.

I know that there are unpredictable events when you are riding, but contrary to the common wisdom most accidents are the direct result of decisions (twist the wrist) made by the rider.

Of the close to 100,000 miles I have on bikes the majority is lidless. 

Between my wife and I:

'02 Speed Triple (Blue)
'02 FXDWG (Black, Chrome, Loud)
'91 F2 600 (red/white0
'04 S4R (Blue/white)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: