Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:14:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Riding from Plano, TX =)  (Read 22037 times)
Jasens Deli

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Can't wait to meet you all soon (are a lot of people going to be at the Diavel party next weekend?).

@system error & CajunR:  Thanks for sharing your first motorcycle experiences with me.  Hearing that the air cooled engines on the Monster are quite forgiving and predictable makes me feel a bit more comfortable about starting on this level of bike.

Is the MTC better than B.E.S.T. (Bikers Elite Skills Training) up in Denton?  I was looking at the different options in our area for taking my beginner course to obtain the MSF endorsement and B.E.S.T. seemed to have the most info on its website.

@caffeinejunkee: I'm looking forward to catching the "bug"!  Evil  I plan on heading over to AMS and maybe European Cycle Sports over in East Plano this afternoon after work to go check out the 696 and some helmets, jackets, and pants. 

What is the consensus opinion on these dealerships?  I think I'll probably shop online for my gear unless any of you recommend I purchase from these dealers here.

@muskrat: I think you're gonna be getting me in a lot of trouble!  chug  To be honest, I think that his S2R 1000 is a spectacular bike in terms of performance, but I think I'm a little uncomfortable purchasing a 1,000cc as my first bike.  As I read on this forum earlier that I think rings really true, "better to ride a slow (albeit I don't think a 695 or 696 is slow by any stretch of the imagination) bike fast than a fast bike slow".  waytogo

I'd love your help in finding a pre-owned 695 or 696 that has been well taken care of (i.e. hasn't been laid down or in any accidents).  You seem to have hawk eyes for finding great bikes!

Jester

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »

Shopping online is fine for gear, but I'd go to some local stores and try on the different brands before hand.  Different manufacturers vary in fitment and size, so even if you're looking for a better deal online, I'd put it on locally before you purchase.  Helmets are the same way.  Each will fit your head differently and some helmets suit some head shapes better than others.  Moto Liberty and Cycle Gear might be good starting points.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
Jasens Deli

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »

Shopping online is fine for gear, but I'd go to some local stores and try on the different brands before hand.  Different manufacturers vary in fitment and size, so even if you're looking for a better deal online, I'd put it on locally before you purchase.  Helmets are the same way.  Each will fit your head differently and some helmets suit some head shapes better than others.  Moto Liberty and Cycle Gear might be good starting points.

Thanks for the heads up on the stores around Dallas.  Moto Liberty is literally 2 minutes from my office. Looks like I know where I'm headed for lunch today! waytogo
Mhanis

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »

Cycle Gear in Plano is a pretty good place as well. The nice thing about Cycle Gear is that if they don't have something in the store and you buy it from them online and you are unhappy with the purchase (wrong size or whatever) you can bring it into the store and return it.

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
muskrat

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »

If you're worried about the 1,000cc's don't be.  The bike is exceptional and easy to handle IMO but the 695/620 series are cheaper to get your hands on.  That said there's a certain person on this board who has a 695 that will blow your mind.  This guy runs in front of super bikes all the time so don't be deceived by cc's on a bike.
I would be happy to join you on your hunt and even go with you to look at bikes.  I'm a sales person by trade so it's what I love to do daily.  Cheesy

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
calscrazy

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »

695 is fine if u want. I ride one and the biggest upgrade i did was on the rider. Learning how to maximize the performance the bike offers. Track days, books and even watching races are alot of help. Watch the way some guys move around on the bike and lines they take. U can learn from just paying attention. Plus if anybody tells u a 695 is to slow tell them to come to a group ride then say that. Lisa, mark, cj, ronr, richd, lyd, dan and some others have all ridden with a 695 and seen what it can do when pushed to the limit!!

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Mhanis

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

Lisa, mark, cj, ronr, richd, lyd, dan and some others have all ridden with a 695 and seen what it can do when pushed to the limit!!

Yeah, I am going to have to call BS on your statement that I can testify to what you do on your bike Chris. Your shit is SO far ahead of me I have NO IDEA WTF you are doing, other than hauling serious ass.

Mark

Pete Townshend

muskrat

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

I'm with stupid (AKA Mark).  Shocked

Point being the rider makes the bike so buy what you're comfortable with in the end.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Jasens Deli

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 12:02:05 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice, fellas!  I agree completely that the rider is what makes or breaks (no pun intended) a motorcycle.  I think it's best for me to start off on a 695 or 696, as I think it has enough low end torque to keep me jazzed with riding it for a long time without having too much power under me that I can't yet control.

I had a great time chatting with Peter over at Moto Liberty during lunch.  Tried on some helmets (Arai Vector 2, Arai RX-Q, and the 2010 Bell Star Cerwinske) to see what fits my the crown of my head the best.  He also recommended I spend some time over at AMS with Marty and Jeff, so I'm about to head over there to go see their inventory this afternoon.  waytogo

Cheers,

Jasen

Mhanis

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »

Um, if you start going to look at new bikes your "budget" is about to take a dump. Hell, you just might ride out of there on a Streetfighter or something!

Best of luck "Just saying NO".

Mark (I'm not stupid, 'Skrat is stupider  Tongue)

Pete Townshend

webspoke

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »

I will add a vote for the hypermotard, as it is also very forgiving, and nice upright riding position, which is great when you are just starting out.  They are very tall in the saddle though, which is a big minus if you are inseam challenged. 

The air cooled monsters are all great(I had an m750 starting out) starting with a 695 or larger (s2r, 696, 796 etc) is terrific.  The bikes ride well, and are cool and unique.  Good luck on the search!

Streetfighter 1098S
muskrat

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »

I'm still with STUPID.......saying NO will be hard as hell.  If you do buy new buy the 796; budget be dammed. Or pm me and we'll go shopping. 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Jasens Deli

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »

Met Marty down at AMS this afternoon and he seems like a really cool guy.  He spent about 1 1/2 hours walking me around the dealership, showing me Jeff's garage full of vintage Ducs, and going over the features of the 696 with me.  I finally got a chance to sit on this beauty and I must say, it is incredible how light it is and how comfortable of a sitting posture the monster provides.  Don't know yet if I can say I will pull the trigger on buying a new 696, but I do plan on taking it for a test ride after I take the basic safety course at MSI and getting my license in a few weeks. And you guys are right, it is AWFULLY hard to say no to buying a new bike when you're down at AMS like ya'll mentioned!

Muskrat, I'd still love your help in finding a 695 or 696 (preferably a 696) in very good condition if it can be had for between $4-6k.  Is this a reasonable price range?

- Jasen
Mhanis

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »

You're screwed if you ride that 696, you'll never buy used if you do.................

Give up and get down with the sickness..............

Mark

('Skrat is the dumb-er-est)

Pete Townshend

muskrat

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »

how far are you willing to travel to get one?
Here's an S2R 800 with a single sided swing arm, exhaust and more tid-bits that are worth looking into http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2264100831.html
another one but I would offer 5 tops http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2263514644.html
like white with after-market pipes? http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2266617834.html
decked out with a steering damper (IMO the best upgrade) http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2261025377.html
Red and a 696 http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/2258544915.html

The S2R 800 is a great buy IMO but if the 6k service has not been done plan on spending $800 bucks or so therefore negotiate. What I don't get are the brakes which did not come on this bike originally so that's worth some good bucks.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: