Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 11:22:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Riding from Plano, TX =)  (Read 22033 times)
Jasens Deli

« on: March 14, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »

Just wanted to say hi to all the DFW DMF'ers,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything motorcycle (and therefore, Ducati) related.  Been a long time admirer of bikes and in particular, Ducati's.  Just love the Ducatisti culture and the love for your vehicles each of you has.  I have been a car guy for most of my adult life (25 years old, former e36 and current e46 M3 owner), but thought I'd finally take the plunge and start learning about what riding is all about.   I feel like I've gotten to the point in my life where I've moved beyond wanting to showboat and do other things that may jeopardize my safety on a bike, so that's why I thought I could start making the transition now.  Instead of wanting to go straight into things with a GSXR or R1/R6 like I used to back in high school/college, I believe the Ducati Monster is the perfect bike for me.  Beautiful engineering, just like any BMW, Porsche, or Ferrari.  Handsome curves and lines.  Power to spare when opening up on the highway.  Rider friendly in terms of comfort to cruise around the city.

First thing's first, I went looking around for a solid Ducati Monster forum and I believe I've found it here at dmf.  I look forward to any and all of your insight and wisdom when it comes to making my journey into riding a safe and exhilarating experience. 

Next thing is signing up for a motorcycle safety course.  I've never been on a bike before, but I appreciate and respect it's power and ability to throw me off like a rag doll if I'm not constantly engaged while operating it.  I would really appreciate any advice you all have on recommending where I can find the best beginner motorcycle training program in the DFW area.  I feel like this is the best investment for me, as I want to possess the necessary skills to be a great and responsible rider.

Finally, my first motorcyle purchase... I've heard multiple routes which people have taken on buying their first bike.  Purchase a used Kawasaki 250 first... Buy a used 620ie or 695 that way you don't feel as sad when you lay it down and dent/scratch it... Go ahead and splurge on a new 696...  I'd love to hear more feed back from you all as to what you would do in my situation.  I have a purchase price ceiling of about $8-8.5k USD, but purchasing a used 695 for around $5,5000-6,000 seems almost a mute point to me, as I believe I can find a dealer that would sell me a 2010 696 for $8,000 OTD.  To not have to deal with questioning how the previous owner(s) treated the bike and whether it's been abused/damaged is not worth the $2,000 to me.  But if there were a solid 4-6 year old 695 that I could get be had for around $3,000-4,000 for me to learn on and not have trouble selling or take too much of a loss on if I were to resell it in a year or two to upgrade, I'd definitely consider that route.

Oh, and if/when I make my first purchase...  Who would you all recommend for any future maintenance/repair work?  I know how important and valuable it is to develop a good relationship with a trusted mechanic (i.e. had to have the engine pulled out of my e46 M3 3 years back to reseal every gasket due to oil leaking out of it  Cry).  I wouldn't go to anyone else for my cars other than the mechanic I've done work with over the past 6 years in Carrollton.

Thanks again in advance for your warm welcome and I look forward to learning from and building upon a mutual love/respect for the Ducati heritage with all of you!

- Jasen
Jester

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

Don't forget to budget yourself up to $1k or so for helmet/jacket/gloves/boots and riding pants if you want those too, but definately the first 4.

What bike you get as a starter only has to do with how responsible you think that you are.  In the end, it all comes down to your throttle hand, but the air cooled bikes are fantastic to start with.  Plenty of power but you probably won't loop the bike if you make a mistake on the gas.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
Jasens Deli

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Jester.  I forgot about the riding gear and would love to get some advice on that as well as motorcycle insurance.  In my mind I've set a max budget of $8-8.5k for the initial purchase of the motorcycle, but can allocate out another $600-1,000 for helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants, etc.  I was thinking it would be about $500 per year for insurance and maybe $500-1,000 per year in maintenance/repair costs.  Does that sound accurate? 

Glad to hear that the air-cooled engine of the Monster is a nice bike to start with and shouldn't get me in too much trouble if I make a newbie mistake here and there.

- Jasen
muskrat

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »

welcome! 
Here are a few to look into  Grin
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2263522673.html
next up with the famous dry clutch (I know the owner and can vouch for this bike).
 http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2250900423.html

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Mhanis

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »

Hi Jasen, welcome.

Just sit back and relax as Muskrat does all of the work for you.............Hell, he already started! He likes nothing more than spending YOUR money. Just give him the parameters of your purchase and watch him go.

Mark (in Allen)

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
TresGatos

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »

Welcome Jasen!  I started on my 695 and think it was
a good random decision for me (sport bike wise).

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
Jasens Deli

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »

Thanks for the warm invite, fellas!  Smiley

@Mark: I can tell!  laughingdp

@Muskrat: Thanks for doing some initial research for me already!  I like the '07 S2R a lot, but it seems like it'd be too much bike for a brand new rider like me, right?  That 620 Dark looks really nice and I'd definitely consider it if the owner has all the documentation and the bike has a clean title/bill of health.  Does anyone know the owner of this one?  What's a fair price on an '06 620?  What are some advantages/disadvantages to the 3 generations (620, 695, and 696) of monsters?  I was hoping to not spend over $3,500 if I was to go with a 620, as it's 2 generations from the current model being sold new at the dealerships.

Cheers,

Jasen
Jasens Deli

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »

Welcome Jasen!  I started on my 695 and think it was
a good random decision for me (sport bike wise).

Thanks!  I'd really love to purchase a new bike, but I'm afraid I'd lay it down by making some dumb mistake and then it'd be $$$$ to repair the damage I caused.  Is it likely/probable I'll lay down my first bike if I'm not doing anything crazy?  If not, I think I'd go with a brand new bike over a used one.  But if it's almost 100% certain I'll drop the bike no matter how careful I am riding it, I'd like to learn on a less-expensive used one (is fixing a 620 or 695 much cheaper than a 696?) and upgrade once I've gotten the hang of things.
greenohawk69

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »

...Beautiful engineering, just like any BMW...

i.e. had to have the engine pulled out of my e46 M3 3 years back to reseal every gasket due to oil leaking out of it 

laughingdp  Sorry to hear of your troubles, but your comment seemed to contradiction.  I give you crap about it since I have had an e46 (e.g. window regulator) and e90 now. 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
muskrat

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »

Mark can't talk, hell he can't even make up his mind of late.

The S2R shouldn't be too much bike if you respect it - like all bikes.  The 620 is what I started on but quickly tired of it and then onto an S2R 800 (these are gems and very forgiving).

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Jasens Deli

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

Mark can't talk, hell he can't even make up his mind of late.

The S2R shouldn't be too much bike if you respect it - like all bikes.  The 620 is what I started on but quickly tired of it and then onto an S2R 800 (these are gems and very forgiving).

Hmmm... Very tempting  Smiley  Do you know if your buddy is flexible on the price of the bike?
system error

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »

Welcome Jasen!

Just my two cents.  I started riding back in Aug 2010 on a 695 having never been on a street bike before (lots of quads way back when).  While I don't have anything to compare it to the learning curve has been very smooth.  The bike is extremely forgiving and the power doesn't come on unexpectedly.  I liked it so much I got one for Mindy who is currently making great progress.  I'm just now getting to the point where I notice the difference of the more powerful bikes but I have no intentions of trading up as my skills are still below the bikes full potential. 

Also, yes, Muskrat will spend your money faster than a ball player's trophy wife... but your bike will be better for it, even if you credit score isn't. 

Happy hunting.   [moto] 

'13 Multistrada 1200
Fiat 500

My God, it's full of stars!
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:46 AM »

Welcome to the board and to the sickness known as Ducati ownership...  Evil

So many choices...but it looks like you are on the right track.  waytogo

Happy hunting.   [moto] 

+1

btw--I am also one of Skrat's victims....
muskrat

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »

don't listen to anyone else, I'll help improve your credit score  Evil

As for the price I can't say.  I hate to speak for him but I know he's been selling it for a while.  If memory serves me he still has some after-market add-ons and I can vouch for some of the powder coating as we did it at the same time by the same guy.  Just PM me and I'll forward you his number if he doesn't respond via email from craigslist. 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
CajunR

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »

...Next thing is signing up for a motorcycle safety course.  I've never been on a bike before, but I appreciate and respect it's power and ability to throw me off like a rag doll if I'm not constantly engaged while operating it.  I would really appreciate any advice you all have on recommending where I can find the best beginner motorcycle training program in the DFW area.  I feel like this is the best investment for me, as I want to possess the necessary skills to be a great and responsible rider.

...- Jasen

Welcome aboard, Jasen!  Check out MTC's schedule here https://www.eoffice-online.net/?page=387 for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course.  Tons of info here: http://www.texasmtc.com/FAQ.html.  I essentially lived on my dirt bike when I was a kid, then I didn't touch a motorcycle for 20 years.  The MSF class was an excellent 'welcome back to two wheels' experience for me, and I think it was well worth the time and money.

There are a lot of experienced people on this forum that can give you great advice as to which Monster will suit you best.  I went the 'small bike' route and bought a new DR-Z400SM three years ago.  It was great to have that 'new bike' feeling... and being a dirt bike, I didn't hurt it at all when I dropped it (only twice).  I put over 14,000 miles on it, and then I bought a Hypermotard last May.  As everyone has mentioned, the air cooled Ducs are very forgiving... and a total hoot.  waytogo 

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: