Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 28, 2024, 04:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IRA's and Investing...  (Read 3312 times)
Adamm0621

« on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:32 AM »

Anyone have any experience in investing?  I'd like to start saving for retirement and investing some of my money when I get back to the states.  Any advice on how to get started?  Are there any good websites or books that I should read to become more familiar on the topic?

2010 Monster 696 Dark
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »

thread locked for boredom factor.

just kidding chief  Wink

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »

David Chilton's "The Wealthy Barber."

If it had come out 10 years later, it'd be called "Financial Planning for Dummies."

My initial advice is that if you're not already using TSP, you should be.

For right now, you should be eligible for DSP, which gives 10% interest while you're deployed. You have to take the money out within 90 days of getting back to the states, but it's more interest than you'd get with the cash in your savings account.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Drjones

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

Dave Ramsey's Total Money Make-Over
Kiplinger's Guide to Investing Success
The Millionaire Next Door

Make sure you don't have any consumer debts outstanding; cars, bikes, credit cards, etc.  If you have any of those then you're not ready to invest.  If you're coming back with a sizeable pile then it is best to talk with an advisor; a starting place is the Endorsed Local Providers (ELP's) through Dave Ramsey's site.  His approach to money management is conservative and the ELP's will be the same.

Don't think you're going to turn $50k into $50 million by next year as that's the best way to lose every penny of that $50k in three months.

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
Nomad

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »

+1 on the TSP, provided you're in the military and not a contractor.  The money they take out for that is before taxes, and mine earned great interested even at the worst economic times.  It's a great program, and really easy to set up.
Jumptship

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »

fool.com has some good info for beginners

This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.
pitbull

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »

fool.com has some good info for beginners

I think it has great advice for anyone. They have outperformed every other financial advising tool for a quite awhile now.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »

low cost mutual funds with a good spread of exposure to domestic and international investments.

You don't say how old you are or what your time horizon is, but I agree with the statement above about getting a financial adviser.  Most of them get paid by the investments they sell (that is the company pays them a commssion), so you're usually not paying extra to talk to them.

They got a pretty bad reputation due to the market meltdown over the last 3-4 years, but there are plenty of them out there leading the good fight.  Some big companies are better than others.

#1 thing to remember:  It's time in the market, not timing the market.  Pick a strategy and stick to it.  Jumping in/out of investments trying to chase a return has been proven to actually lower your total returns over time.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
muskrat

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »

cost is important but beware that many low cost investments (ie mutual funds) are closet index funds so you can do your own research and do just as well if not better.  Also, if you ever think you can outsmart the market ask yourself "can I guess people's reaction?"  The market is driven mostly by the cattle mentality.  My suggestion is you start with a regular investment program like an IRA, 401k if available and the like.  DO NOT lock yourself into a product because there's a guarantee unless you know what you're getting into in the long-haul.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

The Office - I declare bankruptcy! Michael Scott

This is an insult to the Pez community
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »

Gordon Gekko's Greatest Hits (Wall Street 1987)

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
pitbull

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:47:11 AM »

for long term investing go with index funds over mutual funds, finding an index fund that closely mirrors the best mutual funds. The MER's of most mutual funds will chew up a huge portion of returns over a 20-30 year period. I know a lot of mutual funds have lowered their MER's since with the popularity of index funds, so if you go with mutual funds, look for ones with a MER in the 1% range.

At one time most mutual funds had MER's of around 3%. At 30 years compounded, it would eat up about 60% of your profits.

The truth of the matter is, an index fund that simply mirrors the S&P 500 index or Nazdaq index will outperform 85-89% of all mutual funds, once the higher MER is factored in.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »

The truth of the matter is, an index fund that simply mirrors the S&P 500 index or Nazdaq index will outperform 85-89% of all mutual funds, once the higher MER is factored in.

Yep. Personally I like Dodge & Cox's various products. Low load and good results.

Mind you, right now I'm in cash. The current market is overvalued and scary as hell.

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »

My 401k has a good % from dodge n cox.. no idea why I picked them lol.. also big chunk of international..  I had, and still have, no ideawhat was what.. I just guessed what would make more and looked @ the long term return and which has a higher return..  one day I want some one to look it over and give me some advice..  still upset I didn't buy into jetblue shares when they were dirt cheap.. big return after a while..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: