Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone know this bike or seller?  (Read 10257 times)
teddy037.3
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »

the way this is potentially shaping up, I don't have a problem paying the penalties... as long as it's double digits, I guess.  for once, I'm happy that this place is so small.  turns out I knew who the original owner was, so we've been emailing the past few days and I have alot more details on the bike, as well as probably recovering the red key.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »

Whoa, that's quite a turn.   waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
teddy037.3
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »

yep... so long as this title thing gets sorted, I may be back on two wheels
whackie

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:02 AM »

hope you get things sorted out. hawaii has crazy paperwork. it was a nightmare buying a bike from out of state, talk about the run around. it was a whole process of playing tag with different state depts.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 02:15:17 AM »

Buying one used from out of state (SC) wasn't that bad, simply because the bike was already titled and what not.  Buying on new from out of state (SD) on the other hand...  I really got the feeling that the DMV down there didn't realize that you could actually buy a vehicle from somewhere else... 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
teddy037.3
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

this kettle of fish is a little more... exciting... than just buying out of state.

short story -> long, as best I connected the dots so far:

Sam, the OG, brought the bike from WA while she was at school (UH-M).
falls of kickstand, cracks case (I think the left cover?), bleeds oil all over.  too broke to fix it.
graduates, packing up to move back, puts bike on CL as "parts bike."

Jim buys bike,  Sam signs off the WA title
he eventually fixes it, starts looking to title it in HI. had been talking to someone at the Wahiawa satellite, and sends Sam paperwork to fill out ("vehicle arrival certification" is what he mentioned by name to me, idk what else was sent to her) but it apparently was incomplete.
Jim puts up bike on CL

enter Teddy.  looked at the bike on saturday, Jim says he will get the bike weighed 'this week'

email inquiry to the gov't gets a response, telling me that I need the signed off title, Bill of Lading, insurance/safety, the scale weight of the bike and checked by MVC (motor vehicle.... C? beats me... ).  pay penalties for the gap in reg, and all will be well.

today- bike still hasn't been weighed, waiting on Sam to fill out paperwork again and mail (I suppose it should go to me, not Jim).

debating on using Jim's "too busy right now" as a bargaining chip to drop my offered price, and find a way to get the bike from him and take care of everything myself.
whackie

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:13 PM »

this kettle of fish is a little more... exciting... than just buying out of state.

email inquiry to the gov't gets a response, telling me that I need the signed off title, Bill of Lading, insurance/safety, the scale weight of the bike and checked by MVC (motor vehicle.... C? beats me... ).  pay penalties for the gap in reg, and all will be well.

i figured it would be more exciting, esp since that bill of lading will be a pregnant dog to get. that's what they will be looking for to find out when it actually arrived, and when you owe reg from. i'm thinking the mvc is the recon guy.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »

i'm thinking the mvc is the recon guy.

I'm thinking it might not be worth it. If the state is going to try and charge for the gap in registration, based on when the bike arrived on island as stated on the bill of lading... Did Sam not have the bike registered there?

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
teddy037.3
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »

I'm thinking it might not be worth it. If the state is going to try and charge for the gap in registration, based on when the bike arrived on island as stated on the bill of lading... Did Sam not have the bike registered there?

I'm not sure if she did or not; gotta ask.... the website says that either the bill of lading or out-of-state vehicle permit is required to transfer the title to HI
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »

I'm not sure if she did or not; gotta ask.... the website says that either the bill of lading or out-of-state vehicle permit is required to transfer the title to HI

If it was registered here it would have Hawaii tags or an out of state permit. If it has a plate from somewhere else & no out of state vehicle permit (the big blue sticker) then it was never registered here. MVC is the recon guys up at the top of Kapahulu. The best you could hope for was that it was registered here and when it went out of service the plates were surrendered because the vehicle was being stored and then there would be no penalty registration fees. Of course you could always get as much paperwork as possible and go into DMV during the middle of the month and try to sweet talk them as much as possible.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
teddy037.3
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

Undecided

potentially 3 years worth of penalty fees? no thank you
teddy037.3
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

That's only $300 plus the actual penalty.  It's the repair work I'd be worried about.  Plenty bikes on CL over time.  Be patient.  I spent 4 months looking before I bought the monster.

if the cracked/leaking bit was only the side cover, it has been fixed. the only other damage on the bike was a bit of rash on the left barend and the clutch lever, which is bent a little.

bike needs tires, 30k service, new belts. otherwise it's in decent shape.

:edit: "too broke to fix it" meant she had no money; not the bike being broken...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:10:31 PM by teddy037.3 » Logged
teddy037.3
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

update! dude is going to "keep the bike for now."  whatever that means.

noticed he pulled the ad, as well. hell, maybe he sold it to someone willing to give him 4. beats me.

*le sigh*
whackie

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »

you're probably better off anyways. like someone else said, it's a waiting game.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

you're probably better off anyways. like someone else said, it's a waiting game.

And as Homer said, "The waiting game sucks.  Let's play hungry hungry hippos!"

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: