Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 08:18:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 250018 times)
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #495 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

At some of our dealers that have domestic franchises, their $30+/FRH diesel technicians are being lured away by the oil field or mining operators for even greater pay.

$30/hr?!?!?!?!?!?! . . . . where do I sign? Shocked

most I have made in my life is $22.50 and that was overtime pay for working on a holiday !!!!

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #496 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »

You're in the wrong line of work. Low paid developers (programmers) that become contractors get $40/hr.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #497 on: September 05, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »

You're in the wrong line of work. Low paid developers (programmers) that become contractors get $40/hr.

coñooooooooo . . . I am averaging $9.35/hr now . . . not bad for Panama, but . . .

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #498 on: September 05, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »

coñooooooooo . . . I am averaging $9.35/hr now . . . not bad for Panama, but . . .

I wouldn't roll out of bed for that.  Tongue

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #499 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

Nevertheless, I still aint gonna pay you $50.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »

Nevertheless, I still aint gonna pay you $50.

funy you  . . .

Carlos
MendoDave
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »

Your $9:35 is probably the same as $22:00 an hour where Dave lives. He would have to pay the babysitter $9.00 so yea for that money it would make more sense to stay home.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #502 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

Hard to compare numbers... the real question is purchasing power.

Yeah... around here, $9-and-change per hour at 40 hours per week is barely enough to keep a roof over your head and food on the table... and I doubt it would cover transportation, raising kids, etc.

When I worked at the auto parts store while I was in college, back in '04 I was making just shy of $12/hr.  But again... purchasing power.  That was in Portland, and the $3k-$5k I'd earn in summer was barely enough to cover travel and incidental expenses while I was away at college.  I also had a job on campus to cover eating out and movies and whatnot... but that paid federal minimum (which was 5 and change per hour).  It was just enough each week to buy me a meal out with friends, a beer or two, and a movie ticket (at the wonderfully low student rate).

If my wife and I ever wind up in the Philippines, we'd probably be able to maintain an equivalent lifestyle on half our current income (or less).

Which brings me back to small diesels... living in the Philippines, I'd definitely have a HiLux or Fortuner diesel.  Diesel is less expensive than gasoline (and gasoline prices there run about the same as Oregon), and the HiLux and Fortuner are relatively affordable vehicles.  Import taxes in the Philippines are crazy, so you're MUCH better off getting something made in SE Asia (IIRC, the HiLux and Fortuner are made in Thailand and/or Indonesia?).

Still scheming of a way to import a HiLux diesel engine, manual transmission, and associated electronics to the US-of-A.  I'd drop it in a mid-2000's Tacoma.  Out here there is no inspection, so nobody would care.  Wish my grandfather was still around... he had the fab skills to do such swaps with ease.  It'd probably take me a while to get it built correctly.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #503 on: September 06, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=161096250531

Youre welcome

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duc_fan

« Reply #504 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

Cool.  waytogo

Helluva lot cheaper than I expected.

Too bad that one is a slushbox, though.

Will have to do some shopping domestically to see if there are more of these...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #505 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »

About 30 on ebay right now.  Stick, auto, 2wd,4wd

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duc_fan

« Reply #506 on: September 06, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

Huh... I dug through there earlier, it said there were less than 20 Toyota diesels.  Only 4x4 setups I found were autos.  All the sticks were 2WD.

Regardless, it's not like I have the cash to pull the trigger today.  But now we know that option is out there.  Wink  If/when the time is right, I'll still price out getting a complete setup out of a wrecker in the Philippines... having family there I may be able to acquire the setup a bit cheaper.  Wifey is gonna make me finish and probably sell the GTI first... so we're looking at late next year at the earliest that I could start such a project.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

Wifey is gonna make me finish and probably sell the GTI first...

Hmmm...

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #508 on: September 06, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »

Cool.  waytogo

Helluva lot cheaper than I expected.

Too bad that one is a slushbox, though.

Will have to do some shopping domestically to see if there are more of these...

thats because thats old old old 2.4L

you want a 2005  onwards
D4D as in hilux and prado

3.0 L 121 kW (162 hp) I4 1KD-FTV intercooled VN turbo diesel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine#1KD-FTV

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »

This increased the horsepower to 142 hp (106 kW) at 3400 rpm and torque to 343 N·m (253 lb·ft) at 1600-2800rpm
drool

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: