Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 06:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 249996 times)
DesmoDiva

« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »

Doesn't look that bad.

BTW, BMW makes Smart Cars, not MB. 

I drove Smarts in Germany and thought they were just a gutless as the one's we have here.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

Doesn't look that bad.

I drove Smarts in Germany and thought they were just a gutless as the one's we have here.

Smart is Mercedes
Mini is BMW

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

Doesn't look that bad.

Nope, MB has always owned the Smart brand.

www.smartusa.com

Scroll down to see the copyright.

DesmoDiva

« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Ooops, my bad.   Cool

I guess I remembered wrong.  Thought the Smart dealers were co-housed with BMW dealer in Germany.   Embarrassed

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

Yep.

And the bullshit nonsense collectively known as the EPA.

^^ This.

I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax.  Once I learned what all was included in the required emissions system, I understood why we don't have more diesels.  GM shelved the 4.5L Duramax, and retooling it for the newest standards would cost millions.  The fans of the "Duraburb" are fanatical, but GM management is asking how many are there with money to buy? (I think there should be enough, but I don't give GM management much credit in the brains department... they can be monumentally stupid)

These emissions regs are also what keeps more of the small VW diesels away (like the very frugal 1.6).  They can only afford to certify a handful of their range to US EPA spec.

Ditto for Toyota with the 2.5TD in the HiLux.  Too much money to federalize the emissions.  I saw several on a trip to the Philippines... man, I want one so bad!  I am sorely tempted to buy a wrecker next time we're there, strip the engine/trans/electrics, ship it here, and find a run-out Taco to stuff it in.  I live in an area with no emissions inspections, so it'd be fine to run out here.  You'd never be able to register it in an area with emissions testing, but if I ever had to move, I'm pretty sure I could find a buyer out here in eastern Washington or Oregon who'd love a newer smallish diesel pickup.  Several of my coworkers expressed interest in such a conversion as well.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »

^^ This.

I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax.  Once I learned what all was included in the required emissions system, I understood why we don't have more diesels.  GM shelved the 4.5L Duramax, and retooling it for the newest standards would cost millions.  The fans of the "Duraburb" are fanatical, but GM management is asking how many are there with money to buy? (I think there should be enough, but I don't give GM management much credit in the brains department... they can be monumentally stupid)

These emissions regs are also what keeps more of the small VW diesels away (like the very frugal 1.6).  They can only afford to certify a handful of their range to US EPA spec.

Ditto for Toyota with the 2.5TD in the HiLux.  Too much money to federalize the emissions.  I saw several on a trip to the Philippines... man, I want one so bad!  I am sorely tempted to buy a wrecker next time we're there, strip the engine/trans/electrics, ship it here, and find a run-out Taco to stuff it in.  I live in an area with no emissions inspections, so it'd be fine to run out here.  You'd never be able to register it in an area with emissions testing, but if I ever had to move, I'm pretty sure I could find a buyer out here in eastern Washington or Oregon who'd love a newer smallish diesel pickup.  Several of my coworkers expressed interest in such a conversion as well.

US spec is not the problem.  IT is California's ARB diesel rules and the 11 states that follow CARB.

Jeep was going to put out a "43 state legal" diesel in 2008( ?) but decided against it.

CARB had good reason to implement the high bar of emissions... until this came out:
http://www.examiner.com/article/calif-climategate-part-ii-air-board-s-340-pollution-error

And of course the fact that the individual responsible for this "error" had apparently falsified his academic credentials, and yet, CARB did not revise nor revisit his findings even though they were aware he overestimated the emissions by over 300%

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »

Kay, just incase you don't know, CARB allows conversion of a gasoline vehicle to diesel as an alternative fuel. This also makes it exempt from smog regs and checks: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210359

I can't find the form on the DMV website, but I have a copy of it somewhere if anyone needs one. Pre 98 vehicles are no problem. Later than that, and it gets sketchy.
duc_fan

« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

US spec is not the problem.  IT is California's ARB diesel rules and the 11 states that follow CARB.

Jeep was going to put out a "43 state legal" diesel in 2008( ?) but decided against it.

CARB had good reason to implement the high bar of emissions... until this came out:
http://www.examiner.com/article/calif-climategate-part-ii-air-board-s-340-pollution-error

And of course the fact that the individual responsible for this "error" had apparently falsified his academic credentials, and yet, CARB did not revise nor revisit his findings even though they were aware he overestimated the emissions by over 300%

I stand corrected.  Sorry... I had forgotten that CARB is a bigger problem.  Kali's car market is a huge chunk of the total US car market, so for a vehicle to make financial sense it generally must be 50-state legal.  Add to that the fact other states like Orygun and Washington have adopted the self-harming CARB rules... and we have created a nonsensical barrier to truly efficient vehicles.

I do maintain that the EPA isn't helping.  EPA has their own rules for diesel particulates and NOx which differ from the more commonly accepted Euro standards.  And, it is expensive to retool emissions equipment to hit different targets.

Consistency and sound science-based standards would go a long way toward getting the more efficient engines available here in the US.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

LowThudd

« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »

DMV form Statement of Facts. Check box for exempt from smog DIESEL: done. Might have to ref it though. http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf
duc_fan

« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »

Kay, just incase you don't know, CARB allows conversion of a gasoline vehicle to diesel as an alternative fuel. This also makes it exempt from smog regs and checks: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210359

I can't find the form on the DMV website, but I have a copy of it somewhere if anyone needs one. Pre 98 vehicles are no problem. Later than that, and it gets sketchy.

Hmm... this is interesting.  I wonder if the same applies in Oregon and Washington.  If a diesel-swapped Taco was legal to register and emissions-exempt, that would be a HOT seller in Portland or Seattle.  I should go into the conversion business.  I have family in the Philippines, so a source of inexpensive Toyota diesel parts.  I have a 2400 sqft garage at my disposal (and an equally large gym/barn/multi-purpose-room for storage), so workspace to perform swaps is also available.  I have the cash saved up to install a 2-post lift as well.  Hmm... ideas...  coffee
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:57:36 AM by duc_fan » Logged

duc_fan

« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »

Looking at it more closely... the swap probably has to be a US-spec motor & emissions system.  I could still do a foreign-market swap out here in central/eastern Washington, where there is no inspection, but I would not be able to sell it west of the Oregon or Washington Cascades.

Of course, I know the NSA is reading all of this... but I'm guessing that they don't give a rat's a$$ about EPA violations.   cheeky

LowThudd

« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »

Looking at it more closely... the swap probably has to be a US-spec motor & emissions system.  I could still do a foreign-market swap out here in central/eastern Washington, where there is no inspection, but I would not be able to sell it west of the Oregon or Washington Cascades.

Of course, I know the NSA is reading all of this... but I'm guessing that they don't give a rat's a$$ about EPA violations.   cheeky

All pre 98 diesels are exempt from smog in CA. My 83 MB diesel has never been inspected. From what I have read on Toyota forums from those who have done the conversion in CA(do a search), all the Referee wants to know is that it is the proper motor for the class of vehicle, and that it is indeed a diesel.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

Actually, to do a swap and be EPA legal, it has to be a SAME YEAR compliance.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
LowThudd

« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

Actually, to do a swap and be EPA legal, it has to be a SAME YEAR compliance.

Technically, yes. But as in the DMV form, once the conversion is done it is smog EXEMPT. Many people have done this with earlier motors, and were fine. Do some searches for 'Diesel conversion in CA Toyota'. Many have done it with earlier motors and been fine. Have you been to a Referee before? I knew one by first name in High School trying to get my Bradley Kit car(VW based) registered. All the ref cares is what the DMV wants to know: Is it a diesel or isn't it? Is it a CAR with a CAR engine or a TRUCK with a TRUCK engine. It is only a visual inspection here in CA to confirm that it is a diesel conversion, and not someone trying to get a free ride without a smog check. Same as when my stepdad registered the electric pickup we built. They just wanted to see under the hood to make sure it was being registered as what it was. Look at the form link that I provided. The provision is that any pre 98 vehicle can be EXEMPT from smog if it is converted to Electric, Diesel or 'Other' fuel. The provision is there because people generally want to do a diesel conversion to run on veggie oil/Biodiesel. They don't care beyond the facts of it.
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

^^ This.

I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax.  Once I learned what all was included in the required emissions system, I understood why we don't have more diesels.  GM shelved the 4.5L Duramax, and retooling it for the newest standards would cost millions.  The fans of the "Duraburb" are fanatical, but GM management is asking how many are there with money to buy? (I think there should be enough, but I don't give GM management much credit in the brains department... they can be monumentally stupid)

These emissions regs are also what keeps more of the small VW diesels away (like the very frugal 1.6).  They can only afford to certify a handful of their range to US EPA spec.

Ditto for Toyota with the 2.5TD in the HiLux.  Too much money to federalize the emissions.  I saw several on a trip to the Philippines... man, I want one so bad!  I am sorely tempted to buy a wrecker next time we're there, strip the engine/trans/electrics, ship it here, and find a run-out Taco to stuff it in.  I live in an area with no emissions inspections, so it'd be fine to run out here.  You'd never be able to register it in an area with emissions testing, but if I ever had to move, I'm pretty sure I could find a buyer out here in eastern Washington or Oregon who'd love a newer smallish diesel pickup.  Several of my coworkers expressed interest in such a conversion as well.

Have you modded your Duramax at all?  Ive got an 06 LBZ.  Gets 22 mph on the highway.  Intake, exhaust and stage 3 hypertech.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:11:20 PM by rgramjet » Logged

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: