Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 11:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dresden VW factory  (Read 3008 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:04 AM »

Pretty cool concept.

VW Factory - Germany

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
CairnsDuc
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

Very Impressive!  Shocked
Oldfisti
Some call it a sub, dagwood, hoagie or footlong. I just call it my...

My mom says I'm a catch.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »

I love how the portable workstations are inductively powered thru the maple floor.   

It's like I keep saying:  Those who would sacrifice a free range session for a giant beer, deserve neither free range time nor a giant beer.
i have had guys reach back and grab my crotch in an attempt to get around me. i'll either blow in their ear or ask them politely to let go of my wang.
zarn02

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

Neato. waytogo

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »

Yeesh!  I really miss living over there.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

Too bad the Phaeton was a commercial failure, at least in the states.  The last year they were sold (2007-8?) they only sold 400 of them.  They are talking about bringing them back, but at a starting price of about $60,000 I think most people are going to pass.  It's a VW. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »

Yea well...  Americans never have been known as terribly smart.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

That must explain why we're the biggest market for Ducatis?  Huh?

No, the problem with the Phaeton is VW.  They are an economy car brand here.  The same reason that Mercedes won't bring the A class cars to the US - they are a luxury brand here.  You can't sell a Mercedes economy car here and you can't sell a VW luxury car here.  Just won't do. 

The 2003 Phaeton was priced starting at $70,000 and went up to $100,000.  Tell me there's not somethign you'd want more for your money than a VW for $100k?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »

Yea well...  Americans never have been known as terribly smart.

Or the opposite.  Paying 90k for a VW is dumb IMO.

Why don't they show the sh!t hole mexican plants that the main stream North American VW's are made?

mitt

zarn02

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »

Tell me there's not somethign you'd want more for your money than a VW for $100k?

I suppose they could simply invent new brands, as the Japanese have done for their more upscale offerings.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »

Tell me there's not somethign you'd want more for your money than a VW for $100k?

Let me refer you to my previous comment about Americans not being known for their intellect.  

I'm not buying a car as a status symbol.  If it has the features I want, and the price is good, I'm buying.  Even at those prices, the original Phaeton was a deal compared to equivalent Mercs and BMWs.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »

Or the opposite.  Paying 90k for a VW is dumb IMO.

Why don't they show the sh!t hole mexican plants that the main stream North American VW's are made?

mitt

The high end VWs have always been made in Germany, mostly by hand.  They went to the North American plants when the American market demanded a German Camry.  So yes, I stand by my statement of Americans being a bit dim.

I suppose they could simply invent new brands, as the Japanese have done for their more upscale offerings.

One word, Audi.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »

Let me refer you to my previous comment about Americans not being known for their intellect.  

I'm not buying a car as a status symbol.  If it has the features I want, and the price is good, I'm buying.  Even at those prices, the original Phaeton was a deal compared to equivalent Mercs and BMWs.

The problem was that VW couldn't even get people to look at the cars - -why?  because of the reputation of all the other cars with the VW label.  It's not an intellect thing, it's just how VW has marketed itself and the fact that people don't spend a lot of time searching.  VW just tossed this very expensive car on the market without preparing people for it.  They didn't do their homework. 

I mean, how many people looking for an economy car head to the Mercedes dealership?  None.  why?  Because they don't make economy cars (in the USA).  Same with VW.  Some guy has 100k to blow on a car, he isn't think "mmmm.. a VW would be nice..."..

Also, the Phaeton had plenty of QA issues. It was pretty well panned in the reviews.  Lots of electrical problems.  It just had an uphill battle.

My european friends don't seem any smarter when buying a car, they do the same thing Americans do:  buy what everyone else is buying.  That's why you see a shit-ton of Seats and Fiat Puntos and VW Lupos all over Europe.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »

Well, Seat is basically a VW with a different, slightly down-graded badge.

And I'll give it to you that VW didn't do their homework on the marketing front with this car.  But then again, when have they ever done a decent job at marketing?  They basically did the same with the R32, with the second gen car flopping. 

My main point is that too many people here immediately, and wrongly, assumed that a particular brand was incapable of making an upscale product.  And yes, the same can be said for the A class, and the majority of the 1 series.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

It's just not unreasonable for people to assume that.  The QA on VWs in the states isn't the best for a lot of reasons.  My Golf was made in Brazil and it's not bad, the engine was made in Germany though I think all of the diesels are. 

Point is, people buy cars partly based on the history and partly on the image.

My wife's new Kia Sorento was a gamble.  But they did their homework for their new cars (and hired the design guy from Audi...).  (and so did we, we test drove 5 different vehicles in the same segment)... over a year later and we'd buy it again, and it's still the cheapest CUV for the segment.  But it was a huge gamble given Kia's record, but a cheap gamble.  Spending $100k on a car is a huge gamble. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: