Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 12:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The power of orange compels you!  (Read 466632 times)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #570 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:03 AM »

But did you get a new bottle of that chocolate milk on the way home? mmmmm....

Zooooommm

Nice upgrade! welcome to the orange side.

So is the SMT the 990 ADV but with 17" wheels?

ML- I know a guy who killed his DukeII LC4 doing wheelies like that all the time....they are incredible when you you see em for sure...

DTM- SM-T is more the SM-R with a slightly bigger tank and some fairing like headlight for to emphasise the "T" for touring ability along with factory small soft panniers ( which I didn't get from the P.O., but he did install those Givi monokey racks with the el cheapo bottom of the spectrum E21 cases) and I did get the softsided KTM briefcase with pen and owners manual which I haven't had a chance to crack open yet...

intial things I notice...some of which are in direct comparison to the Cagiva are as follows...

light and nimble
incredible braking/stopping power
great power
VERY quick acceleration
re:Leo Vince half system, a nice "POP" that seems to occur on decel at times between 4200-ish and 5400-ish RPM's...it leads me to beleive there is probably some fire coming out with it, but not entirely sure...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #571 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:32 AM »

That popping might actually be from running the wrong mapping. I've got the cables and such to take a lookie... for a price  Dolph

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:14 AM »

Killed as in oil starvation?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #573 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »

Killed as in oil starvation?

I think he ran it too hard as the counter balancer was giving up the ghost and the motor went BANG as he said...it had just over 40K on it when it went kablooie....he then switched over to a DR-Z 400 that he has killed 3 motors so far on the same chassis riding it hard....I am not sure what if anything ever came of his Vertimati....

That popping might actually be from running the wrong mapping. I've got the cables and such to take a lookie... for a price  Dolph

I was thinking it was a mapping issue as well, as I am guessing the P.O. probably didn't do anything other than throw the new pipes on when he did the LV pipes....but I don't know that for sure.

98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #574 on: September 18, 2012, 06:03:16 AM »

I think he ran it too hard as the counter balancer was giving up the ghost and the motor went BANG as he said...it had just over 40K on it when it went kablooie....he then switched over to a DR-Z 400 that he has killed 3 motors so far on the same chassis riding it hard....I am not sure what if anything ever came of his Vertimati....

I was thinking it was a mapping issue as well, as I am guessing the P.O. probably didn't do anything other than throw the new pipes on when he did the LV pipes....but I don't know that for sure.

I don't ride wheelies for miles or anything.  I have to think these bikes are designed to be on their sides and at extreme angles and live.

Re the popping :  did the po pull the emissions stuff and add the block off plates?

If not you might want to. They'll richen things up by removing some air.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #575 on: September 18, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »

That was the case on my 690. There's free ware for the tapping into the ECU and the maps are available from KTM. They probably have a slip on map. Probably should do some looking for common map tweaks that people do. There's a number of ones for the 690 that made life better. One is the software disable of the SAS, which might be causing to popping by injecting air into the exhaust stream to heat up a cat... that you don't have.

And at least on the 690 you have two maps. One fuel table and the other throttle position mappings - so you can tweak your twisty tube!

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #576 on: September 18, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »

Zooom, if yours still has the SAS on it, that is the likely source of the back-fires on decel.  It doesn't matter how you tune the bike, if that system remains operable your bike will continue to pop like that.  And yes, there is flame coming out, Just ask Jim about how my SD used to do the same.  As far as the software goes, I also have my lap top set up to read/re-map the LC8, and you're welcome to use it any time you want.  The KTM/Akrapovic  authored, aftermarket maps are nicer than the stock code, but are generally still on the rich side.  The software I have allows you to fine tune just about every aspect of the map, so all you need is a dyno and you can dial it in perfectly. 

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #577 on: September 19, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »

Which one are your using? TuneECU?

The new big ADV bike in livery is starting to appear

From Asphalt and Rubber
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2013-ktm-1190-adventure-leak/
'The folks at KTM briefly let leak a brochure photo of the 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure today, giving us our first good look at the completed machine. A prototype of the bike was recently reviewed by Motorrad, this new photo confirms many of the details that the Germans dropped in that article.

Based on the KTM RC8 R’s 1195cc LC8 v-twin motor, the KTM 1190 Adventure sees the superbike lump re-tuned for its adventure-touring duties, and in that capacity it makes 147hp. Meanwhile at 518 lbs with a full tank of gas, the 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure is a touch heavier than its 990cc predecessor, though we don’t think you will mind.

We have to say, the styling seen here is a marked improvement over what we saw in Motorrad’s preview article. The seat has a stark resemblance to the Ducati Multistrada 1200, but the overall design seems very compact and streamlined. Said to be purpose-built with off-roading in mind, the KTM 1190 Adventure has all the extra goodies you would expected: ABS, traction control, and even a slipper clutch.

Expected to debut at INTERMOT in a few weeks’ time, the 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure already has some stout competition, as Ducati has unveiled its revised Ducati Multistrada 1200 line, which includes semi-active suspension for the “S” models. Seen by many as a more on-road adventure bike, perhaps KTM hopes its off-road pedigree will be valuable differentiator (we think so)."

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »

can anyone point me to a good online parts catalog so I can poke about and see what the SAS components look like/are located so I can see if the P.O. did this mod or not?

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »

The top end #2/3 connects to the air box. #11 should be on the heads, right before the header... I thin Not looked at the LC8 in that detail yet.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #580 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »

thank you....went outside and looked and I most definitely do in fact have ALL of that business goin on with my bike still on there...looks relatively easy to access as the SAS valve itself is right behind the airbox in full view when you pop the seat off.

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »

Read up on removal. I think there's some electromancy needed as well if you disconnect the valve system from the harness. It's the same stuff as on the 990 ADV, so the ADVRider gang has it all figured out.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
zooom
Post Whore

« Reply #582 on: September 20, 2012, 03:08:25 AM »

I have to say...this bike is humbling and making me feel a lil like a newbie again...

I find myself cracking the throttle like a kid again and trying to gofaster than I usually would...

I find myself braking more because of said speed and having little to no issues with it other than being a lil too hot a couple times in general misjudging...

I find myself kind of afraid to loft the front wheel because the bike is soooooo much lighter than the Gran Canyon. The Cagiva would loft and when I had enough it was easy to put down and it would never really climb past a certain point ( at least not easily anyway). I am afair I might end up looping this bad boy...

2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #583 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:43 AM »

Cover the rear brake Wink

lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #584 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »

these things do that waytogo

I run wide in a lot of uphill corners......because the damn front tire refuses to stay grounded if you're on the throttle uphill  laughingdp

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 163   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: