Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 02:01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All about fuel tanks!  (Read 224432 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

Anyone know what I'd need to do to get an '06 S2R plastic tank to fit on a '02 900 frame?

New brackets?
Fuel pump?

Will it even fit?

It can be done, but it would be cheaper to get a used steel tank.

You'd need a new hinge bracket, and the entire fuel pump mount flange which includes the pump, filter. and sender.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »

Retrived from TOB posted by 2001chromo on 12-12-2006

A general rule of thumb for all "steel" tanks goes like this.

They're backwards compatible. If you've got an older bike and are trying to fit a newer tank it will fit, but might need a few mods or a change(s). Unfortunately putting older tanks on newer bikes will take more work than most will want to do/bother with for either PITA factor or $$$.

Specific differences are below

from 1993 - 1999 All the carbed tanks fit the same (but the cutouts for the seat are different from the newer 2000+ designs) and they only have 1 fuel line coming out which uses either 5/8" or 8mm fuel line. All steel tanks have 2 drain lines which are 1/4" or 6.35mm sized lines. All carbed models have their fuel filters/pumps outside the tank. You can use a newer tank, but you'll have to also use a newer seat to fit the cut out of the tank (it's only a little off and if you're not a perfectionist, it's livable)

In 2000 & 2001 Ducati made both carbed and FI tanks. The most obvious difference between them is that the fuel filler on top either has just a fuel cap (for carbed models) or a fuel cap which is just inside an aluminum ring (for the FI models).

(FI) All FI tanks have their fuel filters and fuel pumps inside the tanks. And you would remove both the fuel cap and the aluminum ring which the fuel cap mounts to from the tank (gently using the wooden handle of a hammer) to gain access to both the fuel filter and pump. It helps if you've got small arms to fit inside that hole. On the bottom of these tanks there are 4 lines coming out. All 4 of which are bent at 90 degrees. 2 are large for fuel (5/16" or 8mm) and 2 are small (1/4" or 6.35mm). The cut out underneath for the airbox and battery are different than the newer design and will NOT fit newer tanks without a lot of relocating of parts or modifying.

(carbed) These are the rarest tanks as they are for carbed bikes and have the newer seat cutout (which fits everything from 2000 to current in the Monster line), but are have the smaller hole at the top of the tank for only a gas cap and NOT the extra aluminum ring. But it's fairly easy to make any FI tank fit this bike with a little work. Closing off one of the fuel lines and adding the extra aluminum ring (which didn't come with the original carbed tank) and has 8 2mm allen bolts holding it into the tank.

All tanks from this point forward are FI only.

The 2001 S4 tank is special as it has the underside shape of the newer 2002+ style tanks, but it came out in 2001. (FYI- this was the first Monster to use the ST style frame and 5.9 "immobilizer" electronics, all Monsters going forward use this)

From 2002 & 2005/2006 Ducati also went with a different location for the battery and airbox underneath the tank. So the cut out underneath is larger overall (hence why the older tanks don't fit) also the fuel filter is held inside the tank with a C clamp in these tanks, rather than just floating in the previous FI tanks. The easiest way to tell the difference between a 2000/2001 FI tank and a 2002/200x FI tank is by the fuel lines coming out of the bottom. Specifically the 2002/200x tanks have 4 lines coming out of the bottom, but only 2 are bent at 90 degrees (the smaller 1/4" or 6.35mm ones) are bent at 90 degrees and 2 the larger (5/16" or 8mm) ones point straight out of the bottom towards the ground when on the bike.

In 2005/2006 (in the US at least) all the tanks went to plastic. (But there's still a few Metals that were being depleted from stock, hence the 2 year span to actually completely change to plastic) simple check to confim, just check to see if a magnet sticks to it. These tanks have the same cutout underneath for battery and airbox. But have a different fuel filter/pump system that bolts into the bottom of the tank. They only have a gascap on the top of the tank and they use a different mechanism for the hinge.

2007 From what I hear, the S4RS tanks are very differently shaped too. But I've not seen one to tell you what those differences are compared to others.

HTH

These are pics of a 04 S4R (Desmoquattro)

The connections

The connection diagram

Internal coonections, the larger hose is the delivery from the pump, the other two are the vent & drain hose

The clip that holds the filter

The clip that holds the fuel pump is shown on the right, note the fuel delivery and vent & drain lines on the right.

Fuel pump and filter, the device on the left is a fine strainer on the pump inlet

Fuel level sensor, protruding from the body are the pump power supply leads.

DP Carbon Fibre connections

Internal shot, note that unlike the steel tank, the fuel supply and vent & drain pipes are rubber hoses all the way to the bottom of the tank

Capo de tuti capi
JDucati
The indispensable

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »

I am trying to remove my fuel level sensor and i can get my hand on the connection inside the tank but i dont know how to actuate the clip on the connection.

Do you have to press the little clip towards the housing of the connection or depress it outwards to remove it?

See picture above to see what im talkin about.

2003 Ducati Monster 800ie Dark
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »

Push it towards the connector body.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

2001cromo

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »

DP's right, but my fat knuckles have a hard time workin in there.

Instead I take out the whole pump/screen assembly and then unclip the senders plug from the pump once it's outside.

Just my 2 cents.
JDucati
The indispensable

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »

if my fuel level sensor wires have some of the outer insulation scraped off.

should i use it? No metal is exposed but its down to the white inner insulation.

Is there anything I can do to patch it up?

2003 Ducati Monster 800ie Dark
cicii

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 03:33:19 AM »

Can we get some pictures of the undersides of the different tanks?

Specifically:
1. Plastic underside with good view of the fuel pump set up
2. Carbie tank with a good look at the fuel line connections
3. Injected tanks (various models) with a look at the shape and fuel line connections
3. different hinge styles (plastic Vs. metal)
4. Anything else that folks think is important / relevant

Hi Herm
Im having issues with my tank. I bought a new tank and have the underside images of both.
Its for the carb models, to fit the early to mid 90s models

this is the new
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78704628@N00/3458396807/#

this is the old
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78704628@N00/3459212032/#in/photostream/

what confuses me is that the description of the tanks say that there are 2 drain lines and 1 fuel line. this is fine for the old tank. but with the new there's and extra line which looks to be a third drain line?? a few min after fuel is put in it comes out the third pipe.

To fix this im thinking i'll get a T or Y connection and just link that into the main fuel line

I hope this helps
Dom
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »

if my fuel level sensor wires have some of the outer insulation scraped off.

should i use it? No metal is exposed but its down to the white inner insulation.

Is there anything I can do to patch it up?
They use tape at the factory to hold the wires together...

but I wouldn't worry if the copper isn't showing.

perspective

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 07:31:39 AM »

Ducati Performance CF: SKU code #96922200B

From "FITS ON" link:

Fuel tank
This item fits the following models:
Monster
620 Dark 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002

According to the fine print " ....Except Plastic tank models"....you've confussed me more my brother.... Huh?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
erik822

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »

According to the fine print " ....Except Plastic tank models"....you've confussed me more my brother.... Huh?

For the 06 model year, Ducati Monsters came with both steel and plastic tanks. Some came with steel until those ran out at the factory and then they started installing plastic ones. So it's a reference only to the last year, which they may or may not fit, depending on the type of tank the '06 bike in question has.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »

For the 06 model year, Ducati Monsters came with both steel and plastic tanks. Some came with steel until those ran out at the factory and then they started installing plastic ones. So it's a reference only to the last year, which they may or may not fit, depending on the type of tank the '06 bike in question has.

Well my Bike has a plastic tank and according to the VIN is a 2005....Now I need a tank, and if I can get one metal one, better...mine cracked in the accident and didn't notice untill filled up to test ride... Embarrassed
Anyone has a metal tank...for my bike, 2005 620 Dark... Cry

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
erik822

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

Well my Bike has a plastic tank and according to the VIN is a 2005....Now I need a tank, and if I can get one metal one, better...mine cracked in the accident and didn't notice untill filled up to test ride... Embarrassed
Anyone has a metal tank...for my bike, 2005 620 Dark... Cry

Sorry, I said 06. 05 is when the change from metal to plastic started. My mistake.

You can't use a metal tank without also buying a new fuel pump, fuel sensor and a couple of other parts. Metal tanks may not crack in an accident, but they dent very easily in low speed tipovers. I looked at switching over the other way and decided in the end it's easier to just buy what you have now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:17:51 PM by erik822 » Logged

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »

Sorry, I said 06. 05 is when the change from metal to plastic started. My mistake.

You can't use a metal tank without also buying a new fuel pump, fuel sensor and a couple of other parts. Metal tanks may not crack in an accident, but they dent very easily in low speed tipovers. I looked at switching over the other way and decided in the end it's easier to just buy what you have now.

good questions, and answers.

the important thing to take away is that the s2r1000 and the s2r800 can be fit with a metal tank, even if they came with a plastic tank. however, the metal tank needs to be from another FI bike (and not an s4r), and you would also need the plumbing for that tank, as well as the hinge mechanism.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »

good questions, and answers.

the important thing to take away is that the s2r1000 and the s2r800 can be fit with a metal tank, even if they came with a plastic tank. however, the metal tank needs to be from another FI bike (and not an s4r), and you would also need the plumbing for that tank, as well as the hinge mechanism.

I'm looking into adding to my garage a 2001 S4[guy is leaving the country and doesn't want to take bike with him], the tank was rusted thru on top, everything inside is ok, can I fit a plastic tank to it or should I just buy a metal tank from which model then?  I'm dumbfounded. Huh? Huh? Huh?

Carlos
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »

I'm looking into adding to my garage a 2001 S4[guy is leaving the country and doesn't want to take bike with him], the tank was rusted thru on top, everything inside is ok, can I fit a plastic tank to it or should I just buy a metal tank from which model then?  I'm dumbfounded. Huh? Huh? Huh?
Get steel....

2003 up steel will work...or an S4.

perspective

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: