Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 17, 2024, 11:51:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR MONSTER TODAY ??????  (Read 243461 times)
PAUL M
S4RS

« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:49 AM »

Hey Suzy, are you crazy or got ADHD or something,your giving me sleepless nights  Roll Eyes

Just fix the oil leak and clean the oil stain with oven cleaner,and try some Ajax as well, and get it as best as you can.
The Ducati finish on the heads and cylinders is some sort of baked on stuff ,and quite durable and hard wearing for  the temps of air cooled engine.
If you can't replicate the Ducati finish and go down the rattle can engine paint route i think it would look a lot more second hand sooner than later,
than with the original finish  you have already.
The crank case and engine covers a different matter.
Plus i think you have only about 12,000klm on the engine it cant be that bad Huh?

Imo i would leave the battery tray stock, in case you get caught short you can always just throw in a stock battery, you could use the extra space for tools and a puncture kit.
Have you done the crank case breather mod if you remove the breather box under the seat. and remount the regulator on an aluminium plate you will have room for one of the coils there.

Good luck with the project and i watch with interest with the engine painting. Tongue waytogo
Oh and winter now is the best time to be out on the bike for next few months not too hot not too cold, wait till summer (the wet season) Undecided Undecided

Don't listen to Rob Cry Suzy, it sounds like  sabotage he knows he'll have no chance at the next concourse  applause

I'm currently doing a Ducati Paint Durability Test on my bike & have found the paint quality crap, unless cleaned occasionally (weekly) paint
deteriorates far to quick,
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:56:04 AM by Paul » Logged
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2012, 01:54:49 AM »

Hey Suzy, are you crazy or got ADHD or something,your giving me sleepless nights  Roll Eyes

Just fix the oil leak and clean the oil stain with oven cleaner,and try some Ajax as well, and get it as best as you can.

The Ducati finish on the heads and cylinders is some sort of baked on stuff ,and quite durable and hard wearing for  the temps of air cooled engine.
If you can't replicate the Ducati finish and go down the rattle can engine paint route i think it would look a lot more second hand sooner than later,
than with the original finish  you have already.

It's not an oil leak.  It's where the paint has cooked.  695s are notorious for this.  They run too lean stock, and this causes the heads to get really hot.  The crappy OEM paint melts and turns brown, as shown.  See for example http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=50080.0

Plus i think you have only about 12,000klm on the engine it cant be that bad Huh?

Nah, I ticked over 20,000 a few weeks ago.

Imo i would leave the battery tray stock, in case you get caught short you can always just throw in a stock battery, you could use the extra space for tools and a puncture kit.
Have you done the crank case breather mod if you remove the breather box under the seat. and remount the regulator on an aluminium plate you will have room for one of the coils there.

I've already modified the stock tray to get the A123 battery to fit.  No way a stock battery is going in now, not without a couple of evening's patient work.

I did the breather mod and fabbed up a plate to mount the regulator and vertical coil when I put the 999 shock on.  Here's a photo:

It's alright, but would be a lot neater if the coil weren't there.  

Good luck with the project and i watch with interest with the engine painting. Tongue waytogo
Oh and winter now is the best time to be out on the bike for next few months not too hot not too cold, wait till summer (the wet season) Undecided Undecided

I haven't got heated grips, so I can't go out in winter.  If I really need to, I can steal the Spada off Kristyn Smiley

There's an awful lot of unused bracketry on that frame.  I could lend you a grinder if you like...  Grin

[/quote]

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
Brett76

« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »

Wow, good luck S

Ducati Monster S2r800
goldFiSh

« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »

Careful there Rob. The skinny tyres on the little bikes have a much different profile to the bigger bikes - I think to get to the edge of those there will be many and varied hard parts scraping up the road firstest.

Whilst my steed is by no means stock, my M800's little tyres are balled up to the edges from the super bike school.... No hard parts scraped....
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »

Whilst my steed is by no means stock, my M800's little tyres are balled up to the edges from the super bike school.... No hard parts scraped....

Interesting ... I didn't even realise the DSSA 800 had the skinnier tyre (the S2R is 180) and the low profile front - which would have been my next suggestion to blame. The 6-series were lower though and it is not just the seat.

I s'pose my reference point is a bit skewed though as Jukie's 620 has been lowered further (front & back) but before she changed the shock there was the occasional scraping of hard bits ... and she is nowhere near the edge (but they are balled up at her 'edge').

... and she is still faster through the old road than I am on the 999 without being near the edge of the tyres laughingdp

Believe post content at your own risk.
suzyj

« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

Monsters look cooler with no wiring.

Here's the offending piece, writhing on the floor.

The blue painter's tape has a description of what goes where, so I can put it back together again Smiley

Next step is to make a support for the front of the swingarm so that it doesn't collapse when I remove the suspension pivot from the frame.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:10:13 PM by suzyj » Logged

mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »

That frame does look hot without the loom on it.

FIFO
Doing the latter

« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

It's not an oil leak.  It's where the paint has cooked.  695s are notorious for this.  They run too lean stock, and this causes the heads to get really hot.  The crappy OEM paint melts and turns brown, as shown. 

From that picture i would bet Dez's Balls that's oil Huh? laughingdp

in memory of Brian W, 2010 /2015
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »

Why thanks Rob  Shocked                         
but I would prefer to keep the twins  0*0 tucked away at home

As soon as the rain stops I plan to grease my dry clutch plates  Shocked

Found an interesting thread about removing the dry clutch groan
Will keep you updated .

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/123775-grabby-shreiking-clutch-how-i-cured.html

Oh and chucked a new black round thing on the back of my bike> Conti Sport Attack 2  waytogo
suzyj

« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »

Avionics package prototype.

And on the bike (yes, my garage did flood yesterday).

The battery is held in place with a large o-ring.  The coils aren't bolted in at present.  They're just held in with blue tack to give an idea of what the whole assembly will look like.

Yes, that is a rectifier/regulator bolted to the side.  Should clean the back end up significantly, as with the coil and rectifier/regulator moved under the tank, the only wires that have to go back past the suspension pivot are for the taillight.

This won't be my final bracket.  I'm going to make up a new one out of 3mm rather than 4mm sheet.  The 4mm sheet is a bear to work with.  Adding the rectifier regulator to the side was a bit of an afterthought, but one which I think is a real goer.  I put the tank back on temporarily and there will be good airflow at that point (better than under the seat, at any rate).

Anyway, I plan to buy a Shindengen FH012AA to go there, which is smaller than the stock unit but a tad thicker.  The stock unit fits physically with the tank on, but the Shindengen one will be a bit too close.  Hence I plan to fab a second better version of the mounting bracket, with the whole assembly shoved about 5mm to the right, and the ECU flipped back to it's stock arrangement (which is narrower but taller).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:58:41 PM by suzyj » Logged

heatherp

« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

Thats looking very neat and tidy Suzy.  Well done.  applause
suzyj

« Reply #251 on: April 20, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »

You know that point where after working away for a number of hours you tidy up the tools, then sit back and look at all the bits of motorbike spread across the garage and wonder if you might be in over your head?

Yeah.  I think I'm there.

I made up a replacement for the electronics mount.  I'm happy with this one - it puts all the bits in the right place.

My loom is at "maximum scariness" point, having stripped off all the covering.  This photo doesn't scare me nearly as much as the first photo though.  It's only electrickery stuff after all.

kyle

« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »

Looking good there suzy!
What are your plans for the wiring harness?

Roughly how many hours was it to get the frame bare as it is above? I have been seriously considering getting mine sprayed lately..
mattyvas

I've become an old man on an old man's bike

« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

Holy crap Suzy!!!!!
I am so humbled looking at that.
Fitting my little gear indicator to the tractor seems like a piece of piss compared to anything you've put up.
 bow down bow down bow down bow down bow down bow down

suzyj

« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »

Holy crap Suzy!!!!!
I am so humbled looking at that.
Fitting my little gear indicator to the tractor seems like a piece of piss compared to anything you've put up.
 bow down bow down bow down bow down bow down bow down

You'll be relieved to know I intend on keeping the exhaust stock  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: