Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 01:24:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different Rear Brake Lever?  (Read 2487 times)
ChrisK

« on: September 05, 2012, 06:23:48 AM »

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this so excuse me if some of my questions on this forum are out of ignorance! This is my first real post...

First question is, through years and years of rolling my right ankle in basketball, it doesn't bend the way it's supposed to. My right foot is basically kicked out at an angle away from directly in line with the way my knee bends. SO, when using the rear brake on a motorcycle I have to put an incredible strain on my leg just to keep my foot on the lever. Is there anything that can be done about this? Any sort of extended brake lever? Thanks guys

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1982 Virago 920 Cafe/Fighter Project
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

"There is no minimum."  - some guy.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »

Not that I've seen. But you could make one perhaps. A simple cheap proof of concept might be to find some PVC with an inner diameter that's about the same as the out diameter of the lever tip and shove it on. You can test/tune it to the minimum length needed - then work on something more sturdy.

The PVC might be the way to go, but it might be too prone to flexing for long term use - you'll have to figure that out.

I'd also suggest that when you getto something more permanent you figure out an easy release or break away system for it. On example - with the PVC you could use small diameter safety wire run through hole drilled in the tube and run around the lever to hold it, so it won't slip off mid ride, but would break away (hopefully) before doing damage to the actual lever in the event of an accident.

Just remember - that the brake tip is many times one of the lowest items sticking out the side of a bike and extending it may bring it into contact with the ground early 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ChrisK

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on breaking the lever, probably wouldn't have thought of that. I might try the PVC idea just to see how far out I need it extended.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:20:49 AM »

Yeah, PVC will be the cheap and easy way to mock it up. Hell you could carry a few sections and a hack saw blade with and 'edit' the length while out on test rides.

Another thing I thought of though - PVC will be slippery. You might get some grip tape, athletic tape (like for hockey sticks) or similar so your toe doesn't just slide off when you put pressure on.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
ChrisK

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »

Yeah I had thought of that. If I like the way PVC turns out I'll end up spraying it with some knock-off bedliner stuff a buddy of mine has laying around. Might also consider aluminum tube, depending on thicknesses and diameters I have in the garage.

1998 M900
2007 CBR600RR Track Bike
1980 Lambretta Moped
Supra Boats enthusiast

billschusteriv

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »

I 'm assuming you aren't considering surgery or similar methods have not helped in restoring alignment of your knee and foot.  Nothing wrong with that... I just tore my ACL and opted the route of physical therapy/no surgery.

I'd also suggest that when you getto something more permanent you figure out an easy release or break away system for it. On example - with the PVC you could use small diameter safety wire run through hole drilled in the tube and run around the lever to hold it, so it won't slip off mid ride, but would break away (hopefully) before doing damage to the actual lever in the event of an accident.

Just remember - that the brake tip is many times one of the lowest items sticking out the side of a bike and extending it may bring it into contact with the ground early 

Not sure how it would work - but perhaps replace the peg with the same material used for frame sliders?  I believe you'd still need to come up with the aforementioned easy release/break away system. 

From what I remember from my moto safety course and the good thing is that you should be doing 70% of your braking with the front anyway.

Hopefully I won't get flamed too much for this ( popcorn ), but another alternative is to install a second brake lever on the handlebars - similar to stunt bike setups.  This would move your rear brake control (from the foot to hand) and alleviate your discomfort without having to worry about making something that could cause you to dump the bike mid turn.

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-stunt-discussion/203529-pic-hand-brake-clutch.html

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:28 AM »

There's similar same products for the dirt market. One I've seen for the off road market comes with the lines so you can work the rear brake from both a hand lever and the traditional toe lever.

It's far from uncommon for folks with physical issues to move controls. There's a thread about a guy who's racing - that gent has only a left arm and left leg. So yeah, he had to move some stuff.

Derlin is the stuff used for frame sliders a lot... that and bolt in paintball guns. It'd be a good option, but the lever would need to be modified to create a bolt on set up. Or if you've got access to a lathe you could easily turn a kurled derlin extension to fit over the stock tip.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
jrswanson1

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »

Instead of straight out, how about curving the extension out and up?  That will keep it off the ground in a corner and still let you use the rear brake.
Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »

I remember from my MSF class that there was a type of braking system that operated both brakes when the front was applied if i'm not mistaken - although I don't remember what they called it, but that might be an option too?   

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »

I have discussed this at length with a gentleman  Grin I know who rides with a prosthetic right foot.

I think we have come to the conclusion that a "mechanical" (not electronically controlled) linked braking system needs a proportioning valve for the inevitable turn-off onto a gravel/dirt surface.  I think his current plan is one of the dirtbike/stunt solutions installed for the left thumb to operate.  It would also appear that at least some high-level race-bikes are set up with a similar solution at many times the cost.

Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »

i could see the need for that if the rear pedal operated the front brake, but if it's the front that's also operating the rear then i'm not sure why it would matter - unless you can't have one without the other? 

12 M1100EVO
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »

i could see the need for that if the rear pedal operated the front brake, but if it's the front that's also operating the rear then i'm not sure why it would matter - unless you can't have one without the other? 

In this instance we are talking about an inability to operate the standard foot-pedal.  The reason they are separate is the need for differing proportions of braking effort between the rear and front tire. 

So, in the situation where you are on a nice, smooth two-lane highway with an elevated speed limit and nature urgently calls: you look for a place to pull over and answer the call.  The only place for miles is a turn-off with a "step-down" to a gravel surface, and there is no paved shoulder.

When I ride over a transition from one road surface to another while braking (specifically from a higher grip surface to a lower grip surface) I will lessen the force I apply to the front wheel.  I will generally use more rear brake in proportion to front brake on an inclement surface.

If you simply plumb the hydraulics together so the front brake master cylinder operates both ends, you no longer have this option unless you install an inline proportioning valve.  You will also end up with more lever movement due to the increase in volume of fluid (don't ask me how much, because I don't know Cheesy)

You could leave the rear master cylinder as an alternative actuating method, but this doesn't really solve the problem if it is exceedingly painful to reach the pedal or if you have no feel for where the pedal is or how much pressure you are putting on it.

RBX QB
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

Don't the stunt riders often locate a small hand-operated lever for the rear up near the clutch lever? That might be something to consider, and just learn to use that and leave the foot lever alone.
Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

You could leave the rear master cylinder as an alternative actuating method, but this doesn't really solve the problem if it is exceedingly painful to reach the pedal or if you have no feel for where the pedal is or how much pressure you are putting on it.

so if i'm understanding this correctly (i think i misunderstood the initial post about this setup) you've got some sort of valve on the handlebar that can dial in the amount of force applied to the front brake or rear brake all from the front lever? I have absolutely no idea how that would work, but it's pretty spiffy  waytogo

and yeah i totally agree...i tend to use 0% front brake on gravely surfaces

12 M1100EVO
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »

This is a proportioning valve

This is a thumb brake

there are pros and cons for both options.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: