Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DFW vs. Houston  (Read 6779 times)
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »

The s/o and I came to this conclusion once before..the ATX is great but a bit too small and lacks the employment opportunities that the big cities offer. Looking at the pros & cons of these 2 metro areas now.

Any opinions from you all?  I'm sure most of you are quite biased living in and around DFW.  If so..why?

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
muskrat

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »

less humidity
wider enterprising market (not centric based on oil and the like)
less traffic (depends on your commute of course)
more diverse IMO
more active DFW group  Grin
closer to Arkansas roads but then again Bandera is farther.

if you want to compare housing it's a bit of a roll really but compared to Austin we have more for less in both Cities.  What interests do you have and that will help.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
RichD

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »

I moved here when I saw the housing and economic stuff peaking.

It was a smart move.

If you've got skills DFW has something for you to do.
A big variety of industry here.

I chose south-central Arlington.
Being right in the middle (but just south of) everything means Dallas is 25 min away,
Ft.Worth is 15, and Cowboys stadium is 10 away,

And when I cut down my fence to party in the field behind my house
horses and livestock wander around the bonfire with us.

Close to everything and yet just-far-enough out.   waytogo

<edit> Oh, and with the exception of Muscrat, we're all better looking than Houston folks.  chug
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:18:43 PM by RichD » Logged

DFW-MFer!
muskrat

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »

I'm having surgery next week and now that I know how you truly think of me I'll include some "cosmetic" things be done.   Evil

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
system error

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »

I'll chime in on this one.  I agree with all the comments above and have a strong bias towards DFW over Houston.  Humidity, traffic, pollution, public transportation (we at least have TRE and DART) are all worse in Houston. 

The only real benefit to Houston is if you like to travel out of the country.  DFW is captive to America and they price it as such.  Houston (Bush airport) is United's hub but enough competition is there that the same flight to say Frankfurt will be significantly less.  Of course your flight will probably be delayed due to weather because, again, it's Houston.

If you just plan to fly every now and again or only plan to fly in the states then DFW is better.  You also have Love field for southwest air.  Houston has SWA as well but you would have to drive to Hobby (south Houston) and my suggestion would be to NOT live in the south Houston area so the drive would be a nightmare. 

That's my two cents.   

'13 Multistrada 1200
Fiat 500

My God, it's full of stars!
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:26:10 AM »

Appreciate the info!!

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Drjones

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

Houston:

Texas Medical Center
Lots of Manufacturing based companies
Less chance of a tornado
Hurricane parties
Melting pot of cultures thus wide vartiey of cuisines
Fewer upitty Dallas people
Cheap housing
An hour away from Galveston

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
muskrat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

not sure I'd be selling the short trip to Galveston.  That beach AINT purdi

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
RichD

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

Houston:

Texas Medical Center
Lots of Manufacturing based companies
Less chance of a tornado
Hurricane parties
Melting pot of cultures thus wide vartiey of cuisines
Fewer upitty Dallas people
Cheap housing
An hour away from Galveston

Houston:  Cheap housing and "culture" =  trouble.

More chances of hurricane refugees, and the crime they bring.

Higher humidity.

DFW: Has plenty of high end/quality medical centers too.

If you don't want to deal with the "uppity" Dallas folks,
there is always Fort Worth.  It's HUGE the attitude difference.
...and there is always Arlington in the middle for recreation.   waytogo

DFW-MFer!
Drjones

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:46 AM »

Hey just because there's a 10% chance the house next door is being used as a hydroponic pot grow farm doesn't mean there is high crime everywhere in Houston. Kiss

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
RichD

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »

Hey just because there's a 10% chance the house next door is being used as a hydroponic pot grow farm doesn't mean there is high crime everywhere in Houston. Kiss

If your neighbor is quiet, single, and has a $5,000-a-month electric bill...   laughingdp

DFW-MFer!
hiero

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »

Honestly, your experience in any city will be dependent on your own wants/needs/attitude. 
Texas Medical Center and in particular, UTMB is one of the world's leading Cancer and Heart institutes.  Take it for what it's worth, but if you have no connection to the medical world, so be it.  That's not to say hospitals wherever you are aren't good, these are just very good and co-located for one hell of a system.

I'm actually quite surprised that someone said that DFW is more diverse than Houston.  I would contest that, but also would consider that several areas of either city are probably more diverse than others.  On the whole, I have always thought Houston was more diverse.

The food in Houston really is quite outstanding.  I bet DFW has more high-end places, but the vast array of cuisines and options are quite staggering, accessible, and really fantastic in Houston.  Don't forget that Houston's craft beer industry is just booming with both homebrewers and business entrepreneurs alike. 

I agree that DFW definitely has better public transportation.  Houston's public transportation is built to take people in and out of the city during rush hours and that's about it.  It's actually very good at that, but as a public utility or use for anything else, it's not very good.

I also agree that a large portion of Houston's economy is based on petroleum and energy, but don't forget that Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation.  The diversity of industries in Houston would surprise you.  The spectrum is pretty vast with oil/gas/manufacturing to high-tech nanotechnology (Rice University is one of the big leaders in nanotechnology). 

Houston is one of a few U.S. cities (and only one in Texas as far as I know) with permanent, professional resident companies in opera (Houston Grand Opera), ballet (Houston Ballet), music (Houston Symphony) and theater (Alley Theatre). (stolen off the Westin Hotels website, sorry, I couldn't remember all of the pieces).   

The Houston Zoo, Theater Under the Stars, all the museums as well as the Menil Collection, the largest privately own modern art collection in the nation are all here as well. 

I absolutely think Houston gets a lot of crap because it's just not good at promoting itself in the least bit.  The PR of Houston stinks, but if you take a bit of energy to go find what you like, you'll probably find it here, unless it's mountains or something like that. 

You'll definitely need to deal with traffic, but what large city doesn't?  It's really hard to say one has worse traffic than the other considering that it depends on where you live and where you work that makes your commute.  A lot of these things (in any city) are manageable through different means.

Political climate is even interesting here, obviously we're still Texas, but is there another city in this state that has an openly gay mayor?  That could be good or bad for you, but it's interesting that it happened. 

For me, I truly believe I'd probably make a happy life for myself wherever I go.  We tend to find the same kinds of people and activities that we enjoy no matter where we are.  What matters to me in general is that I find a job where I enjoy the people I work with and am doing something important to me (if I'm lucky of course).  Along with a loving spouse and friends/family support, I think any place will be great for you - even Dallas or Houston  Wink

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »

Well said.  Is there a significant cost-of-living difference between Dallas and Houston? 
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Well said.  Is there a significant cost-of-living difference between Dallas and Houston? 

There's a pretty substantial penalty for living in Houston, but mostly that has to do with actually being in Houston.

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
hiero

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:17 AM »

[quoteLisa, hor=svoloch link=topic=59652.msg1112871#msg111287150693296]
There's a pretty substantial penalty for living in Houston, but mostly that has to do with actually being in Houston.
[/quote]

That's only for the defectors who go and sell their badass bike and leave.  Call it the svoloch tax...   Tongue

And Iisa, I couldn't tell you for sure, but I think compared to Dallas, cost of living is probably a little better, but probably fairly comparable to fort Worth.  I just checked the government per diem rates and it looks like Houston gets less in lodging than either and fw you get the most for lodging, but considerably less for meals and expenses in fw compared to Dallas and Houston (which both get 71 bucks).  That's just per diem rates, but thought it was at least a fair comparison.

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: