Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 03:23:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...what do you all think  (Read 61280 times)
lawbreaker

« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

I'm all for a combo of membership longevity and post count to be able so sell items.

OR

Give Free BEER

and BooBs waytogo
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

I think there are some really good ideas and suggestions going on here but, to be honest, I'm still on the fence.

I think the long term, heavy contributors, and/or highly knowledgable members often benefit from letting anyone sell here. It usually results in a good deal for the buyer. Most of us who have been here for a while or that know enough about these bikes know when an item for sale isn't worth more than a look at the thread and will move on. And buying online is always "buyer beware" so there's no getting around that.

So, effectively, the member who joins just to sell "shit" isn't actually selling anything. But, again, if its a good part or good gear at a good price then why not?

That being said, I also understand wanting to cut down on the number of members who post nothing but 'for sale' threads. Like the member that Raux is talking about. If that's the case then I might suggest looking a little harder at the lesser known, low posting members. If all of their previous posts are 'for sale' threads and nothing else then maybe a Mod can send a message, really contribute or get booted.

I think all of the Mods are great dudes (even though I've been the cause of a run-in or two) and you guys have created a great place for us to hang out and I'm sure regulating every thread is quite tiresome. Why not induct another member to the Hall of Mods solely to keep the for sale section in order? I'm sure someone would love to take on that position.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:20:38 PM by The Bearded Duc » Logged

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

In the end, the Founders can do whatever they want, but I doubt they will be banning anyone simply because they just post on the For Sale section. In a way, they are contributing. If the guy that is selling these items is a douche, but is fair priced and delivers on what he advertises... I expect that if anyone had a bad experience buying from this guy there would be a huge thread about it. We're all big boys and girls here. If you decide to buy anything from some stranger or the web, regardless of how many posts, then you're always taking a risk.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
hbliam
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

How many more times does it need to be brought up that this isn't about scammers?
MendoDave
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »

Until this thread drops off to Page two evidently.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »

How many more times does it need to be brought up that this isn't about scammers?

This is the DMF...

they can't let facts get in the way. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »

Here is a little perspective from another list that I am on.

* Members are permitted one FS notice per week. It can only be posted on Mondays.

"Unlike most other lists, the OldTools charter expressly allows
commercial postings by its members, with the stipulation that the
sellers also participate in the group's discussions. In short, we
don't mind if you sell old tools via the list, so long as you pass on
your expertise with it."

We'll give this a try and see how it works. 

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »

I hope this wasn't directed at me, I don't think my post had anything to do with spammers.

In the end, the Founders can do whatever they want, but I doubt they will be banning anyone simply because they just post on the For Sale section.

This poll thread is solely supposed to be about new members posting in the For Sale section.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
hbliam
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »

I hope this wasn't directed at me, I don't think my post had anything to do with spammers.

It wasn't directed at you because your post had nothing to do with spammers or scammers.

BTW DP: When is this poll/thread gonna end?
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »

I vote for let anyone post.

After reading this thread (I missed the initial discussion because I was busy...), and checking out the Parts section... I can easily see the annoyance (and I have shared it) with the "join-to-sell" members (particularly one recent member).

I would rather see turds who are using this solely as their "pre-targeted market" get the ban-hammer.

Scenario: member joins, swaps out a few parts and lists the OEM stuff for sale.  Not much to add yet because this member is still getting to know both the forum and the bike (I didn't post much for the first few years because I didn't have anything to say).

The "number of posts" requirement for sales has turned me off of some other forums.

1st or 2nd post is in Parts?  Sure. 

20 posts only in Parts? Why aren't you admitting that you are a vendor and becoming a sponsor?

Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »

20 posts only in Parts? Why aren't you admitting that you are a vendor and becoming a sponsor?

Considering that many of our sponsors contribute more to the 'community' than just selling parts ... this is a very valid point.

But that only places us back where this whole discussion started.

Believe post content at your own risk.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

It wasn't directed at you because your post had nothing to do with spammers or scammers.

BTW DP: When is this poll/thread gonna end?
I don't know.

The results are overwhelmingly in favor of some sort of post requirement to start for sale threads, but I was really hoping to get more participation from the members.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

hbliam
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »

I don't know.

The results are overwhelmingly in favor of some sort of post requirement to start for sale threads, but I was really hoping to get more participation from the members.

I wouldn't worry so much about the people that refuse to vote.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2013, 05:05:42 PM »

Considering that many of our sponsors contribute more to the 'community' than just selling parts ... this is a very valid point.

But that only places us back where this whole discussion started.
I don't think it sets the discussion back, this particular incident seems to have stemmed from a relatively small number of our FS posts... which don't really clutter up the forum for very long with the limited lifetime of FS threads (this I DO like!)... and one member in particular who appears to be taking advantage of our policies.

I am in favor of moderators moderating this kind of behavior through less automated processes.  Understanding we are a community and hence the on-topic commentary allowed in FS threads (which seems to drive what looks like more sane pricing than other forums I have frequented).  After reading the commentary in the one thread and the responses it received, I support and endorse banning that kind of arse-first salesmanship.

It is my completely unscientific and inexperienced belief that someone who responds to legitimate questions in a FS thread with hostility and/or defensiveness is the kind of person who will post the minimum number of times with pointless asshattery just to list.  And then the members posts don't get deleted automatically after 90 days.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »

I wouldn't worry so much about the people that refuse to vote.   
I'm inclined to agree with hbliam here......

.... but in the face of the massive non-vote for "don't care", I'm also not sure that we - the 104 who voted for some pre-selling post threshold - have any mandate to request change... Undecided.

I don't know.

All have had the opportunity to express an opinion here and to vote. 

To date only 136 members have done so.

What that lamentably shows is that to the vast majority of members this is a non-issue. 

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: