Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 07:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...what do you all think  (Read 61379 times)
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

they are allowed once they learn the secret handshake and can sing the anthem

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

so what's to stop a hack from jumping someone else's for sale thread and undersell the full member

Jerry...

you underestimate me.  Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

coduc

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »

How many bogus for sale ads go up over a week/day/whatever?  I guess I don't pay a super amount of attention.  Or maybe I don't recognize them....   boo

Are the for sale ads screened by moderators already?
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »

I don't think that those who don't bother to vote should be able to nullify my vote for a 50 post minimum.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
coduc

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

Theres 70 votes, right now.  If you figure there are about 1500 "active" members, as previously discussed.  That means there has been only 5% participation in this discussion via vote.  5% turnout is pretty bad and a poor indicator of what the "public" wants....food for thought.

I don't even count as part of the 1500, because I'm still barely a member with about 40 posts..... bang head  I did vote though.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »

I don't think that those who don't bother to vote should be able to nullify my vote for a 50 post minimum.
I'm with Spikey on that.  

Theres 70 votes, right now.  If you figure there are about 1500 "active" members, as previously discussed.  That means there has been only 5% participation in this discussion via vote.  5% turnout is pretty bad and a poor indicator of what the "public" wants....food for thought.

I don't even count as part of the 1500, because I'm still barely a member with about 40 posts..... bang head  I did vote though.
The opportunity is here to have a say.  You're right though, that so many havn't taken up that opportunity could be interpreted as the whole story generally being regarded as a none issue by the silent majority  Undecided.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2013, 01:24:45 AM »

And/or the fact that some of the more active members don't venture far from certain boards, such as the racing section or their local club boards.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:35 AM »

And/or the fact that some of the more active members don't venture far from certain boards, such as the racing section or their local club boards.
News item added to the header.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2013, 03:33:57 AM »

good idear!!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Ahks
Modest with his

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »

I know vBulletin can give users a message something like "The Administrators want you view this thread" type of thing.
Can SMF?

Some self important jerks hate the mandatory read threads but for important issues it's handy Smiley
Betty

Uh-oh ... what's going on here?

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:28 AM »

As it turns out I have that turned off with the twisty thing anyway ... so wouldn't have seen it without reading this thread laughingdp

With regard to the general apathy ... I agree there are plenty of members that don't venture far from their typical hangouts (myself included). But I suspect there are several reasons for this:
  • if people feel time on the board is preferred there is no option to respond
  • 'active' members will not be restricted anyway so no need to respond
  • why would you want to sell anyway cheeky
  • most members trust the decision of the Flounders (asking opinions builds trust)

I do sometimes look through the bikes for sale threads ... generally to look at the pretty pictures - or because I am a sadist and enjoy the unpleasant experience of seeing how cheaply bikes change hands in the US. But I have seen frustration about:
  • posts that don't get responses ... or prompt responses
  • claims that posting photos is too hard
  • 'please email me because I don't check the board' type posts
  • not updating threads when the bike is sold (particularly elsewhere)

It must be frustrating for people to post an interest/enquiry only to receive no response, wait days or hold off waiting for something that has long since been sold - so I think some restriction is important. Of course if people just flood the classifieds with for sale ads ... they should be sponsoring.

I think the simple answer is that somebody has identified an issue ... there are positives and negatives to both sides ... and the 'community' has not voiced strong/unified opinions one way or the other. So the Flounders should decide what they prefer and just do that ... but I agree that just because few people have voted shouldn't discount the input of those that have.

Oh and I didn't vote Evil

Believe post content at your own risk.
El-Twin

« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2013, 06:32:03 AM »

I lurked here for a long time because I had little to offer, but much to learn.

After graduating from the Elementary to the Secondary stage of my education, I felt as though I could make useful contributions that might interest others while not embarrassing myself.

What that means in terms of number of posts, I'm not sure.

If I have to pick a number to help the cause, I choose 50. Or whatever the number is to achieve Jr. Member standing.

1961 Honda 50
1962 Mustang Thoroughbred
1972 Honda CB500 Four
2012 1100 evo

If I ever find myself on a winding road, holding up a line of cars with a motorcycle, I will carry the shame to my grave.   -PETER EGAN
memper

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »

Is there a way to regulate it through time instead of posts? Sorry if this was addressed I didn't read all 8 pages. Maybe the person needs to be a member for 2 months or something before he/she can sell?

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »

Is there a way to regulate it through time instead of posts? Sorry if this was addressed I didn't read all 8 pages. Maybe the person needs to be a member for 2 months or something before he/she can sell?
No...slacker.  Grin

If that was an option I would have offered it.

perspective

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »

I know vBulletin can give users a message something like "The Administrators want you view this thread" type of thing.
Can SMF?

Some self important jerks hate the mandatory read threads but for important issues it's handy Smiley
I'm not sure.

I'll look into it.

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: