Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 24, 2024, 05:28:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...what do you all think  (Read 61314 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »

Probably should put your goats in a more secure area so the youngins don't hijack them.
Great idea, I'd vote for that  waytogo

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
coduc

« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »

Goats have no front teeth.....Shocked
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »

That would reduce the audience that can purchase and IMO would be bad for the members that are part of the community and happen to be selling. It's easy enough to do it that way.

The other way only prevents a new member from starting a thread in a for sale board.
To answer an earlier question...it just frosts me when I'm looking through the classifieds and I see a member with say 22 posts and every one of them is in the classifieds.

That isn't what this place is about. It's a community, not an economic opportunity.

I'm not against some sort of prerequisite number of posts to buy or sell but I have to say that I recently sold a gas tank to someone with only 2 posts.  That worked for me.   Wink

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2013, 02:23:38 AM »

I'm not against some sort of prerequisite number of posts to buy or sell but I have to say that I recently sold a gas tank to someone with only 2 posts.  That worked for me.   Wink
My proposal would not change that.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2013, 03:21:39 AM »

My proposal would not change that.
Mine would.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »

Mine would.
I understand that it would.

What I don't understand is why you'd want to limit the audience of participating members.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »

To avoid the 50x +1s.

But as I said early on, if it were up to me I'd also lock several other board sections up to all but members of a certain level of contribution. 

Reward for input.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2013, 04:12:43 AM »

To avoid the 50x +1s.

But as I said early on, if it were up to me I'd also lock several other board sections up to all but members of a certain level of contribution. 

Reward for input.

Woe be to the people that +1 to reach their count... Wink

I feel that policy is exclusionary and don't re-visit forums that won't allow access to all members. I stopped participating in the NEDOC forum due to that. That's just me.

Limiting thread starting privileges is a middle ground IMO.

perspective

suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »

While we're at it, I'd also like a minimum number of posts before ppl can create "my bike won't start" threads, and an automatic ban for excess capitalisation in posts.

Oh, and lets move oz monsters so its the forum default page.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:58:21 PM by suzyj » Logged

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
Raux
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »

Suzyj

I think you're on to something.

I want firm commitments from the regulators of this forum that no one can bad talk the new Monsters.

It's a form a discrimination.

Oh, and a clear definition of what are the fastest colors in descending order so there can be no more debate.

And let's stand up a central court thread to take people who need to be banned for any infraction so that a body of appointed members can hear all the evidence and decide.

Then again we could all just be adults and decide things for ourselves
750Monster43

« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

I joined almost a year ago, and honestly, it was mostly for the Parts ads - as I couldn't view them without an account.

I've purchased a set of Arrow high mounts from a member that I was able to view with my low post count.  As well, I helped a member out by sending him a piece for his aftermarket slave that I didn't need and he did.  I didn't ask anything for it, just dropped it in the mail.

Doesn't that make me a part of the community?  I don't really care to post.  I'm not an expert and when I do read some of the experts opinions, even in this thread, that beat up on the opinions of others makes me want to do so even less.  It's just that mentality of having more posts, been here longer, therefore my opinion should carry more weight than yours - noob.  Reminiscent of the Stonecutters - member 15000 go polish my pipes as I, member 1234, drink from this lass of virtue true.

I've seen x amount of posts to count for viewing this section, or to post for sale, or post pics on other forums ... but at the end of the day, scammers are gonna scam.  Didn't think it was that big of an issue here, since many vets here are watching out for who is posting what and sure they are speaking to the mods about questionable items for sale.

I vote for 25, if there is going to be a restriction, but don't take away my ability to see ads because I choose not to post about my breakfast or if I chose boxers or briefs this morning.

Thanks for reading and have a great ride today!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:30:31 AM by 750Monster43 » Logged
hbliam
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

I don't know where everyone keeps getting the idea that DP started this thread to defuse scammers. My understanding (from actually reading his posts in the thread) is he is concerned/annoyed with people that join simply to sell stuff. There are other sites for that.

hbliam
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

I've purchased a set of Arrow high mounts from a member that I was able to view with my low post count.  As well, I helped a member out by sending him a piece for his aftermarket slave that I didn't need and he did.  I didn't ask anything for it, just dropped it in the mail.

Doesn't that make me a part of the community?  

You haven't sold anything. Thats the issue. The new rule would allow new members to buy all they want, trade all they want, and help out all they want. Just not sell for a bit.

I don't really care to post.  I'm not an expert and when I do read some of the experts opinions, even in this thread, that beat up on the opinions of others makes me want to do so even less.  It's just that mentality of having more posts, been here longer, therefore my opinion should carry more weight than yours - noob.  Reminiscent of the Stonecutters - member 15000 go polish my pipes as I, member 1234, drink from this lass of virtue true.

Having more posts/been here longer does carry more weight for me because I have been able to evaluate this persons opinions, expertise, value system, educational level, conflict resolution, and other variables over a longer period of time. I've been interacting with (some) of these guys since 1999. Of course I would give more weight to their opinion then yours. Wouldn't you?
750Monster43

« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

Having more posts/been here longer does carry more weight for me because I have been able to evaluate this persons opinions, expertise, value system, educational level, conflict resolution, and other variables over a longer period of time. I've been interacting with (some) of these guys since 1999. Of course I would give more weight to their opinion then yours. Wouldn't you?

No, I necessarily wouldn't.  In fact, there are some posters here that I simply scroll down when I see their comments in a thread.  I based this on how they have dealt with others in previous subjects.  More than 1 person can have the same answer to the same problem, it's not that unique ... so I move on and read someone else's solution that has the exact same relevance without being condescending.

It's awesome that you have been dealing with some of these guys since 99.  I haven't, and you know I've gotten along just fine not knowing them myself.  I'm sure that the knowledge some of them possess is infinitely vast, but, I am also certain that knowledge came well before Post # 1 on these boards.   Not too many become subject matter experts with no relevant experience prior.   
Raux
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

the other aspect of the number of posts is the time people have.

some people, unlike me, don't waste time posting, they are doing, and some of them doing great Ducati related stuff. Their opinion, in my opinion, IS highly desired.

take the time to look at people's links and profiles and welcome posts. More posts don't me more knowledgeable. I have nearly 10k posts and I'm an idiot compared to people like DuckStew or Brad the Bike Boy. neither of which post a lot, because, well they're too busy working on bikes.

And if the concern is people are joining just to sell? so what. it's not like this place is worried about making numbers for a future sell like the DML? or is it Wink

point is, leave it alone, no one is being hurt, and if they are, let them decide to go somewhere else or not.

if you want to ensure the users that are active are truly active, have people sign in every few months instead of having the option to sign on forever.
you'll see the trend of those who are truly active, lurkers, and who just came onboard to sell one time and leave.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: