Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 05, 2024, 09:18:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idaho Ride  (Read 2304 times)
Kabulpostie

« on: August 04, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

So this is my first attempt at a ride report, I'm sort of practicing for a big trip (for me) that I plan on taking at the end of August (If anyone has some can't miss sights between North Idaho and Yuma AZ I would to hear about them).
 I been without my bike for almost a year, just got it back from the mechanic last night and promptly buggered up some parts in my clutch lever, but I made it work and everthying turned out ok.
 I started out in Coeur d' Alene, ID and intended to ride up to Thompson pass in MT.
 It was absolutely beautiful today and I couldn't have asked for better weather. I started out heading east on I-90 until I got to Kingman and then headed north and rode next to the Cd'A river. The first place I stopped at is known as the Snakepit (Ennaville Inn?) a local fixture which is sadly only open part time on the weekends now and I guess it's future is in doubt. Too bad as it is a really cool old place to hit after a Mt Bike ride, float down the river or motorcycle journey.

The road following the river is narrow and fairly bumpy so it is easy to go too fast and get bounced out of the seat. I was pretty happy tooling along at 40mph or so. Anytime I started feeling like I wanted to open up a bit I had to remind myself "you haven't ridden in a long time and NEW TIRES NEW TIRES lol). The fact that the road wasn't great and there were a lot of people out was great, it was the perfect environment for me to get my "motorcycle awareness skills" tuned up. Lots of RVs, trucks with trailers and people running across the road to get to fishing spots required I was mentally all there..for me anyway:)
I only took a couple pictures of the river because the scenery was so beautiful all the way up I  pretty much gave up, that and a cell phone and my crap photography skills couldn't do it justice.
The river pics:

With the bike:

A few miles up the road I came to another bar/eatery and had to get a picture, looks like a lucky DMFer could have a new business if they want drink

The Beaver in question:

Unfortunately that's all the pics I took and I never made the pass either. I rode for quite a while and came to a sign that said pavement was ending, since I had about 90 miles on the clock and I'm not sure of the actual range yet I chickened out and headed back to Kingan to fill up and head back to Cd'A were I rode along Lake Coeur d' Alene for a bit and then headed of to Lake Fernan and finished up my day. So all in all it was about 200 miles, I got familiar with the bike again and was able to start evaluating some of my equipment. I absolutely love my new tires, Pilot 2ct (?) the bike feels so much more nimble and yet stable at the same time I was in heaven. My 1st Gear Mesh jacket in high viz was pretty good, but the back protector didn't inspire any sense of safety whatsoever, I'll be looking for aftermarket ASAP.

I've also learned in the the last ten minutes that ride reports are far harder than I thought, hopefully I will get better at this and remember to take more pics. Any helpful ideas to make my next one better would be appreciated as well.
 Over all I can't think of a much better day on a bike than I had today.
Keep it rubber side down all:)
Ducatamount

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:25 AM »

Idaho looks awesome.  applause
I always like to see some people in the pics, makes them more interesting.

half fast
MidnightRambler

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »

Looks like a fun trip.  As for spots to see between Idaho and AZ, the southern Utah/northern AZ area is packed full of national and state parks, all worth visiting.  Here's a good map http://utah.com/nationalparks/.  Just moved to northern Utah myself and plan on taking some trips into Idaho.  Any places you'd recommend?
Kabulpostie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »

I haven't been to Southern Idaho ever, so I can't help you there. I did find a scenic drives website or two for motorcyclists, I haven't had time to look at them much, but they look good
..http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
https://roadtrippers.com

One thing I will say is that in N Idaho at least the roads are not uniformly maintained so you might come around a corner and find a nice big patch of gravel, so I tend to ride at a cruising speed around here to avaid surprises.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »

That's going to be a beauuuutiful ride man. I have too many "can't miss" spots to list on that route...you'll have your eyeballs full for sure. Nice bike btw

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »

The Idaho countryside looks beautiful.  Thanks for taking time to share it with us  waytogo

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:29:19 AM »

Where's the 'taters?

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:40:21 AM »

Where's the 'taters?

JM
Meh, you can keep the spuds JM...  Wink

The Beaver in question:

Nice beaver   Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:55:44 AM »

That's a pretty big beaver!!!

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Johnny OrganDonor

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:22 AM »

In your area, Highway 12 between Lewiston and Missoula along the Lochsa and Lolo Rivers - 'nuff said about that.

In southern Idaho, the Thousand Springs area along the Snake River in the Hagerman Valley is a mighty pleasant stretch.
duc996

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »

Looks like you have a nice little playground there in Idaho, :-) take some more pics next time.Thanks for sharing.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
MidnightRambler

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »

Thanks Johnny, adding Thousand Springs to the list  waytogo
seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

Looks really nice, enjoy, touring over unknown twisties requires tad bit of caution.
That route looks similar to a route I took a few ago about 360miles south thru the Adirondacks thru the Catskills, Rt 8  - Rt 30.
Not super twisty but a sharp corn now and again isn't a bother.great steed to view the country from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: