Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 25, 2024, 03:20:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FINALLY HAPPENED !! Bike knocked over and they took off!  (Read 6261 times)
kendallb

Monster 620

« on: August 25, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

So some Dirt bag backed into my bike, picked it back up  and took off!!

The bike was in perfect, mint condition, and now... nope

Clutch is completely bent, bar end busted, and the worst part....

My TANK!! - Huge dent and scratched.

Just called geico and somehow I have the 500 for comprehensive and 1000 for collision. So apparently I have to fix it for 1000 and they'll pay the rest..(i pay 180 a month with them. Really Giego!?!?!)

Wth, which will (if my damages even cost that much) would probably only be about 200 bucks.

I know to get dents fixed it can be expensive. but is it even worth it to go through insurance??

So sad  Sad Sad
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »

Oh so sorry to hear about your bike.  I highly recommend never going with minimum coverages.  Although with that kinda of monthly payment  Shocked  You may not have had a choice.  I am thinking it may be less expensive to not make a claim and just take the hit and fix it yourself.  I actually had a great dent repair guy out to fix a crease on my uncles Aermacchi tank and it takes a silly close inspection (magnifying glass) to see that it had been repaired.  Some of the paintless dent guys are amazing.  Also if you vist DP paint thread you may find that some patience and proper technique may make the repaint fairly inexpensive.

Not to kick you when down but I pay 750.00 per year for massive coverage on my 2013 M1100 with a $500.00 deductible.  Then again I am 48 and got my motorcycle license at 16.

Good luck with the fixes!  Post pics Smiley

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
justinrhenry
Super

weeeeee!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »

that's a crazy high monthly payment.  it was only $120/month for my streetfighter s. 

you should always go through your insurance imo.  even if it ends up being less than your deductible make them work for your money. 

_____
2013 Honda CB1100D
2006 Honda ST1300
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
Pedro-bot

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »

If I'm correct the old gen steel monster tanks are $1,800 brand new.
Pay the $1k deductible.
Make insurance pay for the remaining repairs.

Expect it back in mint shape. Insurance coverage is expected to make you whole. Do not accept any less following repairs.

Best of luck.

BTW, check your rates with Foremost.
Rates are highly variable with age, credit, zip code, etc., etc.
But your rate of $180/month sounds very high.
At that rate you may as well get liability coverage only and pocket the $2,160/year you are paying now.
In 2 years your well over $4k.
Enough to just buy another bike!

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

Yea im definetly going to cancel, change or downgrade..

That fact that im paying so much and still have to pay 1000 is frustrating..

They said it was that high because of me being a first time motorcycle owner... Im 32 and have a fairly clean driving record. (note: my car insurance is 75 bucks a month)

So yea, i just dont get it.

Thankfully, the bike seems to ride ok and i imagine besides the tank the fixes should be pretty simple. My brake light doesnt work either anymore Sad

The police said they couldnt file a report because no one witnessed it. Of course im covered, but 1000 down the drain. 500 deductible for comprehensive(acts of nature etc) and 1000 for collision? that doesnt make sense to me but oh well.

Orange sized dent in the tank.. about how much would i be looking at to fix?
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »

If I'm correct the old gen steel monster tanks are $1,800 brand new.
Pay the $1k deductible.
Make insurance pay for the remaining repairs.

Expect it back in mint shape. Insurance coverage is expected to make you whole. Do not accept any less following repairs.

Best of luck.

BTW, check your rates with Foremost.
Rates are highly variable with age, credit, zip code, etc., etc.
But your rate of $180/month sounds very high.
At that rate you may as well get liability coverage only and pocket the $2,160/year you are paying now.
In 2 years your well over $4k.
Enough to just buy another bike!

In that case, yea the deductible is the way to go for sure. 1,800 - wow!

Im looking into that asap. Sucks that its sunday and not much i can do but stare it and sulk.

Im in Los Angeles, first time rider, fairly clean record but a fender bender 2 years ago

^^ these were geico's reasons for it being so high^^
MidnightRambler

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »

Sorry to hear about your bike, people are the worst.  That does seem like a very high cost of insurance.  I'm 30 and have full comprehensive/collision at a $250 deductable each through Geico on my 696.  Runs me $365 a year total.  I have my truck and renters insurance through them which helps some but still...
hbliam
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

Not to kick you when down but I pay 750.00 per year for massive coverage on my 2013 M1100 with a $500.00 deductible.  Then again I am 48 and got my motorcycle license at 16.

I'll kick you back for him. 1M/1M/500K coverage, $460/yr., S4RT, 42

To the OP, you don't have to spend any money, you just get $1,000 less then the bill. So if your estimates say it will cost $5,000 to fix, they send you $4,000. Then we can guide you in the right direction to have it fixed for $4,000 or less. Don't sweat it. So, take it to your dealer and get an estimate (you may have to pay them a bit to do that if you don't plan on fixing it there). You don't want only Geico to estimate it for you because they aren't a Ducati dealer and it won't be as accurate.
Raux
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »

i was pretty impressed with progressive's rates
kendallb

Monster 620

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »

WTH!!  why is everyones coverage so low??

I also had progressive at first and they were even higher..

I figured it was a normal price, but also i got everything on my plan. (or at least i thought I did)

My driving record isnt abnormal.. a ticket 1 a few years ago, fender bender once.

Only thing being that im a first time owner. Im definitely calling them.
hbliam
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »

You have a ticket and an accident on your record and are a new rider. Your rates are gonna suck. Now you are making a claim. That ain't gonna help. Shop around.

I haven't had an accident (one and only) since 2000, a ticket since 2002, have ridden street bikes since 1989, have been with the same insurance company since 1998, and insure a house, and two other cars through them. Those factors will drop your rates.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:07:51 AM by hbliam » Logged
HotIce

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

I just paid $538 to cover both the Monster 1100 EVO and the HD Nightster, for six months, with Progressive. $500 deductible and $500K coverage. I have my car insurance with them too.
Though, I am afraid that after the speeding ticket I got a month ago (first in my history in USA - though 68mph in a 35mph  Grin ), rates might be going up.

hbliam
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »

My driving record isnt abnormal.. a ticket 1 a few years ago, fender bender once.

That actually is abnormal. Most people have no tickets or accidents on their record.
hbliam
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »

I just paid $538 to cover both the Monster 1100 EVO and the HD Nightster, for six months, with Progressive. $500 deductible and $500K coverage. I have my car insurance with them too.
Though, I am afraid that after the speeding ticket I got a month ago (first in my history in USA - though 68mph in a 35mph  Grin ), rates might be going up.

You live in CA? Go to traffic school. It will never go on your record.
HotIce

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »

You live in CA? Go to traffic school. It will never go on your record.
I can't. No traffic school if over 25mph speed limit.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: