Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 25, 2024, 11:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might buy an 06 620 Monster. HELP.  (Read 7614 times)
amantaban

« on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

06 Monster 620 for sale. No damage. One owner. 5k miles. Last serviced las summer because he had no time to ride this summer. Asking $4500.

Is there anything in particular I should know about this year/make/model? Any quirks? Any big maintenance that should've been done? Should I talk him down or is that a fair price? NADA has it at $4k.

Any info would be great. Thanks.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »

last summer as of 2013 or 2012? Anyways, ask for records, if tires are OEM, replace, belts should have been replaced at least every 2 years, check fork seals, brake/clutch fluids need replacing every 2 years . . . if a Dark model, make sure that reservoir lids are in good condition . ..

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »

i would play close attention to the tank (pretty sure '06 was plastic) and ensure no swelling has happened, since it sounds like it sat for a year.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
red baron

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »

What part of the country?

Indoors or out?

Seems a bit high to me, and modifications, exhaust, etc....

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
red baron

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:42 AM »

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/4021347162.html

Example of a good ad, buy.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
amantaban

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »

What part of the country?

Indoors or out?

Seems a bit high to me, and modifications, exhaust, etc....

Eastern pa. Indoors mostly.
Here is the ad...

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/4022941254.html
amantaban

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »

Here is the ad. http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/4022941254.html

How much should I offer if it all looks good?
DucRS

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »

Bike appears clean, and well cared for other than the spill which is evident in the exhaust scrapes and Blue Book is around the asking price.  Being he's the original owner he may have sentimental feelings towards selling it and may not be too keen on low balling.
  All considered, if you really like it, $3,800-$4,100

(If it were me, I'd wait around for an "05" with a metal tank........which I did. I payed 4k)

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
red baron

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

So, it's got a tail chop, shorty adj levers, bar end mirrors, aftermarket grips, all good.

Find out if the last service done was the 6k, if not find out how much it's going to cost and deduct that from the sale price. If the tank is plastic ask if it was replaced. If it was replaced ask if it was coated. Just so you know. If it has not been replaced, see if the mounts are resting on the frame and see how close the latch is to the ignition switch. If either looks off, have him agree to get the tank replaced or at least try.

Otherwise looks like a good buy.

amantaban

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

Bike appears clean, and well cared for other than the spill which is evident in the exhaust scrapes and Blue Book is around the asking price.  Being he's the original owner he may have sentimental feelings towards selling it and may not be too keen on low balling.
  All considered, if you really like it, $3,800-$4,100

(If it were me, I'd wait around for an "05" with a metal tank........which I did. I payed 4k)

How much worse is the plastic tank?
amantaban

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

So, it's got a tail chop, shorty adj levers, bar end mirrors, aftermarket grips, all good.

Find out if the last service done was the 6k, if not find out how much it's going to cost and deduct that from the sale price. If the tank is plastic ask if it was replaced. If it was replaced ask if it was coated. Just so you know. If it has not been replaced, see if the mounts are resting on the frame and see how close the latch is to the ignition switch. If either looks off, have him agree to get the tank replaced or at least try.

Does ducati replace them for free as part of a recall or something?
amantaban

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »

Also what's in the 6K service?
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »

He means 6000 mile service. The dealer will look at the tank and determine if it's swollen. if it is, they will try replace the mounts to push the tank away from the ignition. If it's really warped, they will replace the tank. At that point the recommendation is to coat the tank to avoid further swelling.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
amantaban

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »

He means 6000 mile service. The dealer will look at the tank and determine if it's swollen. if it is, they will try replace the mounts to push the tank away from the ignition. If it's really warped, they will replace the tank. At that point the recommendation is to coat the tank to avoid further swelling.

Is that a "free of charge" service since its a design flaw or something? Is the plastic tank immensely worse than a metal tank?
red baron

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »

A 6k service is definitely NOT free.

There's no real difference in the tanks, just look for the signs of expansion.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: