Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Closed Loop ECU mods  (Read 327235 times)
yotogi

« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2009, 05:55:03 AM »

im a new monster s4r owner. what if i just remove the stock double barrel exhaust only and run it with just the bulky think under the motor. do i need to remap/ecu/fatduck ?

Depends. You will have less restriction without the cans, so you will likely run leaner. Take 'em off and keep an eye on your temp as well has how your bike performs at lower RPM. If you are good with it, awesome, you won the Closed-Loop Lotto! If not, a FatDuc will help with the lean condition on the low end.

If you get into an even more open exhaust or intake, then you are probably going to start looking into ECU modification (PC, DP ECU, Nemesis) to get the most out of the bike with the modifications.

Fredy

« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »

This is a great thread!!   drink

Fredy
'01 996
'07 Tiger 1050
caperix

« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2009, 05:03:36 AM »

I'm a little late to the game on this & do not have any FHE with ducs on it, but.  When modifing car exhaust we used to use 555 timer & a variable resistor to trick to ecu into thinking post cat o2 sensors were installed & working corectly.
This may be the same way the Fatduc works, I have not looked into it closley.  By giving the timer a 1 volt power supply & tuning the frequency until the cylcing is what the computer is looking for you can trick it into thinking there is an o2 sensor installed & only reading a value of Lambda 1.  This prevented ECU intervention.
yotogi

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:16 AM »

I'm a little late to the game on this & do not have any FHE with ducs on it, but.  When modifing car exhaust we used to use 555 timer & a variable resistor to trick to ecu into thinking post cat o2 sensors were installed & working corectly.
This may be the same way the Fatduc works, I have not looked into it closley.  By giving the timer a 1 volt power supply & tuning the frequency until the cylcing is what the computer is looking for you can trick it into thinking there is an o2 sensor installed & only reading a value of Lambda 1.  This prevented ECU intervention.

-=Disclosure=-

I am not a mechanic, I am not trained in anything directly applicable to electronics, mechanics or the like. All of this info is gleaned from reading about Ducs and working on my own 06 S2R1K.

-=End Disclosure=-

You are describing a O2 sensor replacement which would work as you describe. A manipulator like the FatDuc just modifies the signal being sent back to the ECU a fixed amount. In a sense, it works a lot like a fueler. Since most people installing the FatDuc need the adjustments that occur in closed-loop operation to run well, sending back a constant signal might not be what is needed to run smoothly.

Here is a thread describing a DIY solution to the issue where Monstermash (minor sponsor and ECU flasher) talks about his experience with the issue on his 07 S2R1K.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=11473.0

At minimum please read the FatDuc builder's post in the thread. I know he has a vested interest in pumping his product but based on my experience with it, I have no reason to doubt what he is saying.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=11473.msg202500#msg202500

And probably what I like most is that the builder has been helpful in a number of posts directly asking questions about the product but that he has remained passive not pushing his product nearly as hard as I do.  Smiley

caperix

« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »

I did not mean to sound as though I was bashing the product in any way.  I only used the referance because they seamed compairable.  I was just trying to mention a possible way to remove the O2 sensor from the bike to help with closed/open loop issues.  Sorry if I sounded like a horses arse  chug
yotogi

« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »

I did not mean to sound as though I was bashing the product in any way.  I only used the referance because they seamed compairable.  I was just trying to mention a possible way to remove the O2 sensor from the bike to help with closed/open loop issues.  Sorry if I sounded like a horses arse  chug

You didn't sound anything of the like. But considering your response, I may have! We are, as they say, "All Good".  Smiley

Desmodude

« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »

Hi There,
I read in your ECU item that Ultimap U59 ECU's are a current replacement option for those wishing to tune their Ducati's.  I fitted a U59 to my brand new '06 749S & the U59 spat the dummy whilst riding thru a rain storm.  The owner of Ultimap, Duane, appears to have shut down his operation & gone AWOL.
Does anyone have current contact details for Dyane ?  The N.Z. agent has sent mine & 2 other defective ECU's to him & he's not replying to any inquiries & we can't get the ECU's returned.
Any help in tracking Duane down would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Desmodude !
BumbleB

« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

Great thread! I am learning alot obout my bike reading this (and others)...your conversation is helping make me a more informed rider and helping me decide on my own modifications with my bike.
 waytogo

I'm not much for quotes - tell me what you know...
schtirlitz
Evil DUC

« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »

I have a 2008 S2R 1000 and obviously been scratching my head for months about what to do with the bike once I finally get enough cash to get an aftermarket exhaust installed…

PCIII and the likes do not really do a good job on a closed loop bikes since, apparently, it can only change the shape of the map for when the bike is in the closed loop mode only. So even with the PCIII dyno-tuned the bike would still run kind of rough in the low range… Nemesis, DP ECU, etc are just too damn expensive for me, so is the Termignoni Slipons /ECU/Airbox kit…  

In my months-long research I just recently found this shop in Minnesota (SilverBack Performance http://www.silverbackperformance.net/fim.html) they do a complete Stock ECU flash with a carbon copy of a DP ECU file. Silverback uses hardware from Alientech which got into Magnetti-Marinelli ECU game in the recent years… AlienTech is fairly well known in automotive tuning world, so no problem there. the guys from Silverback, on the other hand, are also fairly well known for their Ducati tuning/performance work.

So... SilverBack can do the whole ECU read-write job on your Stock ECU for a mere USD$300... I live in Maryland so the whole thing will have to be done mail order, unfortunately. Once the stock ECU is flashed, they can further tune it on a dyno, but for obvious reasons I would have to just get my ECU flashed and that's it.

Has anyone heard of this process? Should be a no-brainer in my mind, but still would be nice to hear from someone who had it done, or just has an opinion about it...

On a quick side note, I am having Marving collector pipes installed next weekend along with the FatDuc, but I will keep the stock cans for the time being. Sometime off-season, I am looking to get my ECU flashed by Silverback and get a set Quat-D Magnum CF cans and a DP Open airbox installed. Later, once I get my new cans, airbox installed, and ECU flashed i may add a PCIII or a Dobeck, or something similar to get some more power out of the bike…

Cheers.

Eugene
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:41:17 AM by schtirlitz » Logged

Gun Control, means using both hands...

2008 Ducati S2R 1000 (R.I.P.)
2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE (DP ECU+AB / Termi 2-2 / Rizoma Rezervoirs / Oberon Clutch Cyl)
schtirlitz
Evil DUC

« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »

Hi There,
I read in your ECU item that Ultimap U59 ECU's are a current replacement option for those wishing to tune their Ducati's.  I fitted a U59 to my brand new '06 749S & the U59 spat the dummy whilst riding thru a rain storm.  The owner of Ultimap, Duane, appears to have shut down his operation & gone AWOL.
Does anyone have current contact details for Dyane ?  The N.Z. agent has sent mine & 2 other defective ECU's to him & he's not replying to any inquiries & we can't get the ECU's returned.
Any help in tracking Duane down would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Desmodude !

Check with SilverBack performance in MN (http://www.silverbackperformance.net/) I think you have to talk to Doug.. these guys are dealers for UltiMap. Even-though they are phasing the unit out, they will most likely be able to help you  coffee

Hope this helps

Gun Control, means using both hands...

2008 Ducati S2R 1000 (R.I.P.)
2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE (DP ECU+AB / Termi 2-2 / Rizoma Rezervoirs / Oberon Clutch Cyl)
yotogi

« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2009, 11:58:31 AM »

PCIII and the likes do not really do a good job on a closed loop bikes since, apparently, it can only change the shape of the map for when the bike is in the closed loop mode only. So even with the PCIII dyno-tuned the bike would still run kind of rough in the low range… Nemesis, DP ECU, etc are just too damn expensive for me, so is the Termignoni Slipons /ECU/Airbox kit…  

Not sure about this. It has been my working understanding that a PC3 cannot do anything to the closed loop map. Either way, the statement that a bike would run rough in the low range is correct.

So... SilverBack can do the whole ECU read-write job on your Stock ECU for a mere USD$300... I live in Maryland so the whole thing will have to be done mail order, unfortunately. Once the stock ECU is flashed, they can further tune it on a dyno, but for obvious reasons I would have to just get my ECU flashed and that's it.

Has anyone heard of this process? Should be a no-brainer in my mind, but still would be nice to hear from someone who had it done, or just has an opinion about it...

MonsterMash (a sponsor of this very board!) also provides this service.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=15502.0

Raux
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »

i need to go back to this MV dealer in Frankenstein and talk to him about this new system he has.
It is supposed to mount on the bike with a few extra sensors, you go for a ride and then come back. he inputs the information on the computer and it writes a new map for you.
If you make a change to the bike, you put the sensors on, go for a ride...
anyway, it was new at EICMA last year he said.
yotogi

« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:08 AM »

Sounds like a PCV (Power Commander 5) with the Autotune accessory.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

topangster

"That's not a silly walk. THIS is a silly walk!"

« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »

In my months-long research I just recently found this shop in Minnesota (SilverBack Performance http://www.silverbackperformance.net/fim.html) they do a complete Stock ECU flash with a carbon copy of a DP ECU file. Silverback uses hardware from Alientech which got into Magnetti-Marinelli ECU game in the recent years… AlienTech is fairly well known in automotive tuning world, so no problem there. the guys from Silverback, on the other hand, are also fairly well known for their Ducati tuning/performance work.

I, too, have an 08 S2R 1K, and would be very interested to find our more about what Silverback is doing with the ECUs (and Monstermash, as well.)  I'm presently running with cored cans and a Rapidbike 02 Emulator, which apparently does the same thing the FatDuc does (but cost $150 more!)

In any case, I'm not interested in dropping $2K on the Termis/DP ECU set up, so this re-flashing option is definitely of interest.  Can anyone else weigh in on their result from having tried this route?  Very happy with how my bike runs now, but definitely interested in improvement if it's available...

Topangster

2008 S2R 1000 - tail chop, MFW-Vario rearsets, RB 02 Emulator, Tomaselli clip-ons, Spark mid-pipe, cored stockers
Vin

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »

Look at DesmoPorche

Just bought a Ducati Performance ECU flashed for my 2007 S2R 1K. 

Got it dialed in today - Bike runs perfectly with a full Arrow system.

$399.00 www.desmoporsche.com

Shipped right away.

V.

2007 S2R 1K

Arrow full system + DP ECU + Mag wheels
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: