Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 31, 2024, 10:18:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of cheap helmets!  (Read 7315 times)
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« on: October 27, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »

And sledge hammers! 

Okay maybe this should be in WTF forum.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
nickshelby500kr
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »

And people are like why would you spend so much money on a helmet?! That's why. The HJC was the only name brand I saw and he was just wailing on it and it didn't give in.
spolic

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »

You have to ask yourself, how much is your head worth. For skiing and mountain biking about $150. For a motorcycle about $350+.

He man, where are all the ads?
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »

You have to ask yourself, how much is your head worth. For skiing and mountain biking about $150. For a motorcycle about $350+.

Not true at all. Ive crashed in $75 helmets. Scoprion EXO on sale! done it twice. Also crashed in $400+ Shark RSR2. Dont recall it being much of a difference.

The protection is in the rating. If it isnt rated for what you are comfortable with (and only you can judge if SNell 2010, ECE22.01 or DOT is good enough for YOU) then simply dont wear it.

What $$$ does pay for is weight and comfort.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
NAKID

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »

Man, that HJC took a beating!

Here is the video now since that link is broken.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »

shouldn't the test be done with something inside..  bowling ball or something resembling a head not just so it doesnt bonce around...

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »

Not true at all. Ive crashed in $75 helmets. Scoprion EXO on sale! done it twice. Also crashed in $400+ Shark RSR2. Dont recall it being much of a difference.

The protection is in the rating. If it isnt rated for what you are comfortable with (and only you can judge if SNell 2010, ECE22.01 or DOT is good enough for YOU) then simply dont wear it.

What $$$ does pay for is weight and comfort.

blasphemer!  How dare you question the expensive helmet gods!!

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
Southpaw

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:08:58 AM »

A greater chunk of those helmets look like Chinese knock offs of big named brands, probably using substandard materials that wouldn't even pass US DOT.
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »

Considering HJC is a Korean company it doesn't surprise me that they would highlight how "good" the HJC is compared to other "bad" helmets.

We do the same thing here in the states.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Skybarney
Fako

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »

Cheap vs. not cheap.  I have a $1000.00 Arai.  Recently I had to pull the cheek pads out to install speakers and it is a MAJOR pain getting it all back together properly.  My buddy bought one of the 400.00 Skorpions on sale for $54.00 and the entire interior is easy to get to.  It has speaker pockets, easier to use vents and a slide down sun visor.  Granted it is a bit heavier.

Just why the make the beast with two backs does the Arai cost so much?   Not sure I will buy another one after trying to fit the speakers.

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »

Cheap vs. not cheap.  I have a $1000.00 Arai.  Recently I had to pull the cheek pads out to install speakers and it is a MAJOR pain getting it all back together properly.  My buddy bought one of the 400.00 Skorpions on sale for $54.00 and the entire interior is easy to get to.  It has speaker pockets, easier to use vents and a slide down sun visor.  Granted it is a bit heavier.

Just why the make the beast with two backs does the Arai cost so much?   Not sure I will buy another one after trying to fit the speakers.

I'm a fan of the Scorpion helmets, I'm on my third one.

The first was an EXO-1000, size medium, that when first purchased fit like a glove but after a little wear-in was a little loose. Passed that one to a friend in need.

The second was an EXO-700, size small. First purchased for the GF. She doesn't ride that often so I used it as my daily, much better fit than the medium.

The third is an EXO-1000, proper size, and also one of the deep discount helmets posted here.

The creature comforts, as well as just regular comfort, definitely rival some of the bigger (and sometimes more spendy) companies.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »

Weight is what you are paying for.  It makes a huge difference. I wish I can afford the carbon fiber helmets in the market.

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
Skybarney
Fako

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »

Yum yummy carbon.  Maybe my next helmet........  Bell is making some nice stuff.

DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 06:38:47 AM »

I had a Scorpion EXO-1000, but I try as I did I couldn't get used to the weight.  I wouldn't buy another if they were $5.   Tongue

After using dozens of helmets, weight and aerodynamics are where its at for me (proper fit goes without saying).

I have two Suomy Vandals which are aerodynamic almost undetectably heavier than my carbon fiber Shark.  The Vandals are LOUD, so its earplugs for any ride over 30 minutes.

The helmet I wear most these days is my Schuberth C3.  It's expensive, but quiet, light and aerodynamic.  The bluetooth/radio is nice too.

As with many moto-/gear-related items, YMMV.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »

I am sure everyone is sensitive to this, but a hammer is not a good test method.  The most likely impact is pavement or another vehicle and that is not a 2" square impact.

It's an interesting look into the helmets, but not a very realistic test.

Also, just because a helmet doesn't break doesn't mean it's good.  A helmet should protect the head, not itself.  If a helmet doesn't break (because it deforms) that might be really bad for your head.  Likewise, a helmet that takes a blow transfers the force to the neck/back.  You really want something that "gives" and puts the force of the impact onto the materials inside (and sacrifices itself).

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: