Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 02:08:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extreme practice  (Read 15250 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: March 14, 2014, 04:52:51 AM »

Something I read in the "to cover or not cover your levers" thread I wanted to comment on and I thought it deserved its own thread.

From that thread-

Same for me. I've done some emergency braking on the 1098 and it had huge initial bite in the front mono block Brembos. Even locked the front up during training to experience the feeling. Covering the leavers has not caused me any issues.

locked up the front during training!?! you're far more brave than I am!

I think it's your duty as a rider to fully understand the capabilities of your bike.

If you've never been on the brakes hard enough to lock the front you have no idea really how much brake you have available to you. Knowing that limit could be the difference between stopping and riding home on your own or getting a ride from the EMT's.

I recommend an empty parking lot and working up to it. That exercise alone will make you more comfortable during hard braking. There's no substitute for repetition in a controlled environment.

I've been riding for probably 10 years and I still do this a couple times a season.

Being fully aware of just how hard I can pull that brake lever leaves me more mental power/capacity to put into keeping the bike up and avoiding a hazard. There are only so many things you have time to think about in a panic situation before you're overwhelmed and experience "brain lock." 

If you make it second nature it's no big deal!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
DucRS

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

Funny you mention this. I was on my Multi last week practicing this exact  act until I noticed Ohlin's juice flinging on my leathers.  Seems my Forks will be needing a tune up now.  Still, an important practice.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:37:12 AM by DucRS » Logged

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
dufukincati

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »

If you ride at speeds of 100+ mph, you need to practice stopping from those speeds also.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »

True.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
pesto

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »

I've seen my ABS light come on, does that count Smiley

2013 White M696
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »

Yes

Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

Everyone needs a mini bike or full dirtbike. Feel the weight transfer and how to lock your legs onto the bike during! I think this is waft scares most people, just like wheeling, it feels worse than it really is!!!

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »

I would agree with this!

ab
ab

ab

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »

Last season as my tyre was wearing off, I started lots of rear break only slamming n holding it and sliding a bit and marking my territory :-) Need to do more and get the feeling of the chain loosening and understanding that feeling and yet stay in control.  N it's fun too. Lots fun :-)
I always practice few times a season just slamming the front brake from diff speeds at empty parking lots.  A must exercise.  It's funny some passer by's stop by to see thinking I would wheelie etc but alas I ain't got the skills excerpt for tiny wheelies Smiley

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
bdub

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »

So during extreme practice do ya'll pull in the clutch lever or just brake ?  I know when I have really hit my brakes
I didn't use my clutch at all. Which is the proper way ? Buying an 848 evo and the front brakes have a HUGE initial
bite. Since I'm not used to that I don't want to learn wrong and would like to learn the correct way on my monster also.

Thanks
bdub

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Y2K  M900 ie  totaled  10/09/08
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »

If you stop hard enough for long enough you'll stall the engine.

I cover the clutch under heavy braking as a matter of habit, I don't even think to do it.

Hard stop?  Pull the clutch to keep it running. After a panic or hard brake incident you may need your engine running to allow you to throttle away from something that possess a danger to you.

Along with this, you'll also need to train yourself to click down two or three gears before letting the clutch out. 5th gear doesn't work so well at 5-10mph Wink

bdub

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:11:57 AM »

If you ride at speeds of 100+ mph, you need to practice stopping from those speeds also.

I read last night that traction loss from twenty was the same as traction loss from 100. I think is was on an Aussie moto braking test. Not sure what that means
as the bike would behave differently, I would think. Anyway, the initial bite on the evo is waaaaay more than on my monster, I will need to learn that.
In regards to the clutch, there was no definitive answer that I could find. Another concern rises here. My monster is gp shift, evo is not (yet) is it "better" to have
standard shift so in an emergency you can just bang down gears ?

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 04:22:05 AM »

I don't think it matters as long as your brain is trained to operate the shifter correctly without you having to think about it.

bdub

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

Well ok, that makes sense. I will need to practice more.
In the past I don't think I have down shifted but doing so makes sense.

I like that !! "Train the brain"

2005 900ie
now with mivv s'

NAKID

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »

With as much stop and go traffic I see on my daily commute, and the traffic that goes from 70-0 instantly, I've gotten used to not only braking hard but downshifting as well. I don't just pull in the clutch and drop several gears, I clutch in, downshift, engage, clutch in, downshift, engage, etc.

Is that bad?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:39:22 AM by NAKID » Logged

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: