Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 12:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installed Ohlins rear shock on my Monster 1100 EVO  (Read 17883 times)
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »

Öhlins   Evil

SPROOOOOIIIIIING

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Autostrada Pilot

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »

What is that?!?  It is so pretty - can't look away.

2003 Monster 620 Dark - Sold

1999 Monster 900 City - Sold

After 7 years of Monsters, I'm sadly bikeless right now.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

What is that?!?  It is so pretty - can't look away.

It's a ~$1,100 Bitubo three way adjustable shock (fast & slow compression and rebound) + very easy preload adjustment - in a kit with bracket for the reservoir on S*R passenger foot peg mount. I haven't had an Öhlins on my bike to compare with, but this is amazingly good. Previously I had a WP shock with an even nicer looking 'gun-metal' spring, but otherwise not as good as this one.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2022, 04:57:53 PM »

Instead of starting a new thread I thought it would be useful to resurrect this one.

I've had 500 bucks worth of work (revalved, serviced, seal and Eibach spring) done to my rear shock on my Evo and it's pretty good but the roads in my area have really got into bad shape. People are denting rims and bouncing off line into the bush on some of the local roads favoured by motocyclists. I like the shocks performance at pace or on good quality roads but the rising rate action of the cantilever set up can be harsh. A local suspension tuner loves the cantilever set up for the track for its rising rate and light weight even though it doesn't appear as compliant as a linkage system.
I read that the Ohlins 737 basic emulsion type shock is more compliant while giving the control and poise required. It appears to reduce the harshness transmitted by the less forgiving cantilever system.

Anyone like to share info on this?

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »

Honestly, my stock Sachs shock feels better than my 737... but I don't think it's set up right for me and the bike.  I've got to take it to someone (there's a guy here in town that can do both a remap, and tune the suspension...) and have him work it out.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »

The spring weight of your Ohlins must be out by a fair bit?

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2022, 06:23:36 AM »

It's possible.  Swapping in the Ohlins was not the magical transformation I expected.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2022, 08:59:09 AM »

The first spring I tried was too hard, so went with the next one down. It happens. Have you set your rider sag numbers with a buddy?

Trawling the net for feedback supports your view that unless you go fancy a 737 won't be a massive improvement, just a significant one. The consistent theme was a more compliant ride quality while maintaining control.

The work done on my oem shock cost around 350 USD and finding the sweet spot in adjustment is elusive with an oem shock. The range I've narrowed it to is within a 1/4 turn for damping and 1-2 turns of preload. It means I've come to the limit of the shock's capabilities without spending more money. What I really noticed whether I set the shock slack or taut was the feel or feedback from the back tyre was greatly improved. To get the performance I want I need to buy a fancy shock with both high and low speed compression damping.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:00:47 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2022, 07:24:13 AM »

I actually haven't fooled that much with it, to be honest.  I dialed in medium settings for everything, and set the sag by myself... which may or may not be very accurate... Wink  I can count the times I rode it last year on one hand, work monopolized my time the past 12 months, and I don't normally ride in the winter... even here in Texas.  I also found out... from you guys... that I've got my rear tire pumped up way to high, I need to settle my tire pressures down a bit, and then go after the shock settings.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

greenmonster

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2022, 08:40:20 AM »

Switched rear to a standard nonfancy Öhlins on 3 different Ducs now.
One was from a Paso 750, like 1986-88...
Get correct spring, get someone knowable to set sag & basic settings.
Ride, fine tune a notch or 2, then I just forget it cause it just works.
Charlie, get someone knowable to help w basics.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:43:03 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2022, 10:22:32 AM »

I actually haven't fooled that much with it, to be honest.  I dialed in medium settings for everything, and set the sag by myself... which may or may not be very accurate... Wink  I can count the times I rode it last year on one hand, work monopolized my time the past 12 months, and I don't normally ride in the winter... even here in Texas.  I also found out... from you guys... that I've got my rear tire pumped up way to high, I need to settle my tire pressures down a bit, and then go after the shock settings.

I remember the over inflated tyre, yes that can make for a harsh ride. When over inflated, some tyre models feel like you have fitted a very heavy spring or increased compression damping to the shock. No surprise as the tyres are part of the suspension package, the front line of suspension where over or under inflation impacts stability, compliance and control.

Switched rear to a standard nonfancy Öhlins on 3 different Ducs now.
One was from a Paso 750, like 1986-88...
Get correct spring, get someone knowable to set sag & basic settings.
Ride, fine tune a notch or 2, then I just forget it cause it just works.

Worth the money waytogo.

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:22 PM »

I have a guy in mind... I probably just need to pull the trigger and call him...

I'm not one of these guys that likes to endlessly tinker with settings... I'm a set it, get it right, and forget it guy.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2022, 06:23:21 AM »

Update:  Suspension guy will be here Friday.   waytogo

Koko, any questions you want me to axe him about the Ohlins setup?

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »

Sorry mate, I actually replied in detail but the post didn't stick. I have had to resend pms and posts with tech issues. Glad it's back on deck, love this place.

I mentioned the usual stuff about rider weight and shock spring, type of riding and quality of roads ridden. Do you favour compliance over control or vice versa?
Also pillion use and adjustments needed and how to return them to solo settings.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 12:05:04 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »

About the time you sent that, I was out in the garage with him... so I didn't see it.  Sad

He did a miraculous job on it, however... it's like a new bike. 

He dropped my forks about 15mm, for one thing... which seriously helps steering while braking.  My 796 does not have adjustable forks... sadly.

I set the initial preload about half the way up the shock... thinking my ride weight might be a bit much for the stock spring rate.  He told me the Ohlins actually has a pretty stiff spring... he took about 20-25mm of preload out, which would explain why the rear felt so squirrley.

Yes, we talked about tire pressure... Wink

I am a control person... I don't care how comfy the ride is, I need to have confidence when I roll into a corner or turn.  The bike is like a guided missile, now, over having to shove the thing down into a corner.  I thought raising the front end would make the thing turn like a pig... not at all.  Besides taking out that rear preload, I think dropping the forks down (raising the front) probably was the biggest change he made.

He said I'll have to get it out on some of my riding roads to see if I need to adjust the damping... he was spinning the damper knob like a roulette wheel, but I don't know if he started with it out, or in (full.)  I'll have to axe.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: