Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 02:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installed Ohlins rear shock on my Monster 1100 EVO  (Read 17813 times)
greenmonster

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2022, 06:12:59 AM »

waytogo

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2022, 11:36:28 AM »

Great outcome. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2022, 12:12:05 PM »

About the time you sent that, I was out in the garage with him... so I didn't see it.  Sad

He did a miraculous job on it, however... it's like a new bike. 

He dropped my forks about 15mm, for one thing... which seriously helps steering while braking.  My 796 does not have adjustable forks... sadly.

I set the initial preload about half the way up the shock... thinking my ride weight might be a bit much for the stock spring rate.  He told me the Ohlins actually has a pretty stiff spring... he took about 20-25mm of preload out, which would explain why the rear felt so squirrley.

Yes, we talked about tire pressure... Wink

I am a control person... I don't care how comfy the ride is, I need to have confidence when I roll into a corner or turn.  The bike is like a guided missile, now, over having to shove the thing down into a corner.  I thought raising the front end would make the thing turn like a pig... not at all.  Besides taking out that rear preload, I think dropping the forks down (raising the front) probably was the biggest change he made.

He said I'll have to get it out on some of my riding roads to see if I need to adjust the damping... he was spinning the damper knob like a roulette wheel, but I don't know if he started with it out, or in (full.)  I'll have to axe.
Just curious what he recommended for pressure.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2022, 01:34:26 PM »

+1 on that DP.

Charlie. Remind me what tyres you're running.
So he raised front ride height by 15mm? If so, probably to compensate for the excessive sag from the soft oem springs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:38:11 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »

I'm running Rosso III's front and rear.

I think he put 32 in the R, 34 in the front.

Yes... 15mm, I just went out and checked, again.  The 796 forks are not adjustable for anything (although the manual say is it...  laughingdp ) so that would seem reasonable at first blush, but it made a world of difference.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2022, 05:40:35 PM »

Pirelli site says 32 F 34 R (2.2/2.4 bar). However, with such a light bike my tyre bloke suggested 32 at the rear to get it to warm up and make the tyre work. Also if he put more pressure up front it could be a performance based thing for more stability up front due to the soft springs.
I have removed the pillion pegs and hangers so have no need for pillion tyre pressures on the Evo. I can't see anyone staying on the back for long without the bike wheelieing and throwing them off, as its just too angry. Cheesy

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2022, 06:34:07 PM »

I've carried a passenger exactly once... and it's not likely I'll do it again.  The 796's passenger pegs are intergal with the front pegs.  I actually bought parts to delete them (I don't remember what the pegs came off of... perhaps an Evo...) but never got around to swapping them out.

Dude said the Rosso has a fairly soft carcass, so 32-34psi is the normal range for it.  I don't want to have to replace the front wheel... so I expect I'll continue with 34psi in the front for sure.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: