Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 09:09:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installed Ohlins rear shock on my Monster 1100 EVO  (Read 17812 times)
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« on: June 07, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »

Anyone tried this setup?  I spent the better part of Friday afternoon installing this shock. Seemed like it might be easy but I ended up having to remove the muffler and the fuel tank.

To support the bike I used jack stands and put them under the mounts for the rider footpegs. I tried removing the rear wheel to make it easier but I could not get the nut holding the rear wheel on to budge. Maybe I should have broke out the impact wrench for that. The problem is the rear hugger, it is in the way but I found that removing the screws that hold the top and right sides allowed me to move it out of the way enough to get at the lower shock mount. With it attached it is in the way and the left side screw is behind the rear tire. No way to get at it without removing the rear wheel. If you have a carbon fiber hugger it would need to come off. Plastic is flexible enough that you can move it around.

Seems a lot stiffer already with less sag but I knew it would be as it is properly sprung for my weight.  Need to get it dialed in now.

Anyway, it is all back together. I'll take it for a shakedown ride later this morning.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
oldndumb

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

To answer the question, I did mine several months ago and it is a very straight forward task. Quite simple to do in about 1/2 hour with the correct tools and procedure. No need to remove wheel.
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »

My dealer did mine prior to delivery. Ohlins always overdoes things a bit. He had to back off the preload to set the sag. He only weighs 15 lbs. more than I. Took it for a ride and backed off the damping one click. Then it was spot on. (This assumes your fork is dialed in correctly.)

Is this a DU-737? Should certainly NOT be stiffer than the stock Sachs as delivered!  Shocked

BTW, the damping adjustment on the DU-737 is both compression AND rebound as per Ohlins in NC.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »

To answer the question, I did mine several months ago and it is a very straight forward task. Quite simple to do in about 1/2 hour with the correct tools and procedure. No need to remove wheel.

How did you remove the lower shock bolt with the hugger in the way?  Also, I could not get at the top shock mount nut without at least lifting the tank up.

I took it for a ride yesterday and noticed immediately how much smoother it feels.  The rear suspension no longer wants to throw me off the bike over every bump despite having very little sag now.  I think I need to back off the preload a bit.  Next Saturday I have an appointment to have my suspension setup for me at my local dealer.

oldndumb

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »

How did you remove the lower shock bolt with the hugger in the way?  Also, I could not get at the top shock mount nut without at least lifting the tank up.

You remove the hugger using a cut down Allen wrench and then that gives access to the lower attach bolt. The top bolt can be removed/reinstalled and torqued with a universal joint. The torque might be minimally affected by the angularity of the universal.

Looking at the pic of your tire makes me wonder why you wanted to change the shock since the original does not appear to have been challenged. If it was for the Ohlins bling I can understand that, having been guilty of the same with my bikes and cars.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:18:09 PM by oldndumb » Logged
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »

Looking at the pic of your tire makes me wonder why you wanted to change the shock since the original does not appear to have been challenged.
Roll Eyes Meeeow.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
oldndumb

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »

Roll Eyes Meeeow.

Oh for Pete's sake. It is almost as though omitting my last sentence smacks of selective editing. But, since I feel as though I am entitled to my opinion, so should you be entitled to yours.
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »

You remove the hugger using a cut down Allen wrench and then that gives access to the lower attach bolt. The top bolt can be removed/reinstalled and torqued with a universal joint. The torque might be minimally affected by the angularity of the universal.

Looking at the pic of your tire makes me wonder why you wanted to change the shock since the original does not appear to have been challenged. If it was for the Ohlins bling I can understand tha,t having been guilty of the same with my bikes and cars.

I never liked the feel of the OEM shock.  It always felt undersprung yet fairly unforgiving over bumps.  I ride at a pretty brisk pace but yeah I have maybe 1cm of little used tread at the edge of my rear tire. 

Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »

Looking at the pic of your tire makes me wonder why you wanted to change the shock since the original does not appear to have been challenged. If it was for the Ohlins bling I can understand tha,t having been guilty of the same with my bikes and cars.

This strikes me as a patently bizarre comment, particularly as you've made the swap yourself!  Huh?

When I rode the demo, my impressions were that the forks worked, the chassis worked, the tires worked, the bike needed a bar and a 14T, AND..., the rear was basicly AWOL.

As for "bling", the DU-737 works well, but is a budget item and good value. Hardly looks any different than stock unless you peer at it. It's more than acceptible..., but it ain't no $1,800 3-way adjustable Ohlins, (which I' ve had on another bike.)

IMO, unless you are going bonkers with a fork swap too, there ain't no point in "prime beef" on a 796 or EVO. The DU-737 is worth every penny though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:48:12 AM by Curmudgeon » Logged

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
oldndumb

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »

This strikes me as a patently bizarre comment, particularly as you've made the swap yourself!  Huh?

My Gawd! I thought it was plain I was asking from a perspective if he was looking for a performance enhancement or just for the appearance of it? I plainly stated that I did mine solely for the bling of it, be that as it may. So any perceived derogatory inferences did not come not from me.

Also very well documented here and other web sites that the DU 737 is a marginal improvement over the stock unit. No news there. Installing the correct spring is much more significant.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:10:02 AM by oldndumb » Logged
SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

My Gawd! I thought it was plain I was asking from a perspective if he was looking for a performance enhancement or just for the appearance of it? I plainly stated that I did mine solely for the bling of it, be that as it may. So any perceived derogatory inferences did not come not from me.

Also very well documented here and other web sites that the DU 737 is a marginal improvement over the stock unit. No news there. Installing the correct spring is much more significant.

My research did not lead me to believe that at all.  Do you mean to tell me that I just replaced an OEM rear shock with only 15,000 miles on it with a marginally better new one that is actually sprung for my weight?  Christ I feel like an idiot... 

Curmudgeon

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »

My research did not lead me to believe that at all.  Do you mean to tell me that I just replaced an OEM rear shock with only 15,000 miles on it with a marginally better new one that is actually sprung for my weight?  Christ I feel like an idiot... 
Your own seat-of-the-pants meter is telling you otherwise. The Sachs is marginal and the DU-737 is as good or better than your forks. In fact, they are well matched.

No idea WHAT HE read "on the Internet".  Grin Be your own judge. My dealer quite liked it and was surprised it could make such and improvement so inexpensively. He's one of the foremost Ohlins techs on the East Coast. http://www.ducpond.com/aboutus.asp

Skybarney and several others here also thought it transformed the bike. Set yours up properly and get back to us.

SDRider

Pregnant Dogin'

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 06:04:44 AM »

Your own seat-of-the-pants meter is telling you otherwise. The Sachs is marginal and the DU-737 is as good or better than your forks. In fact, they are well matched.

No idea WHAT HE read "on the Internet".  Grin Be your own judge. My dealer quite liked it and was surprised it could make such and improvement so inexpensively. He's one of the foremost Ohlins techs on the East Coast. http://www.ducpond.com/aboutus.asp

Skybarney and several others here also thought it transformed the bike. Set yours up properly and get back to us.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've read too and my opinion after riding it confirms that.  I've already taken a little preload out of the rear shock but haven't ridden it since doing that but there is a little bit of sag now where there was virtually none when I first installed it.  Should be well worth the $44 the dealer is charging me to help set it up for me this Saturday.

Barney

when in doubt, pin it

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »

I'm no expert here, but I can easily see how one could call the sachs shock unforgiving.  IMO, the bike does handle pretty damn well in stock form, and at least for me, it inspires confidence.  It's a pretty bumpy ride out back on less than stellar pavement especially compared to the front, but knock on wood it's never done anything I didn't expect it to.  That being said, I wouldn't mind a little more cushy back there, and I'd probably drop the 650 to have it. 

12 M1100EVO
09 KTM 200XC - sold. I cried.
70 Honda 450 Scrambler
Armor

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 09:09:41 AM »

You will see a BIG improvement with that ohlins shock.  Much lighter in weight also.

04 M1000s, Arrows, Light Flywheel, Ohlins suspension
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: