Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 28, 2024, 02:14:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Master How to bleed  (Read 2868 times)
Kabulpostie

« on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »

Hey all, I just replaced my clutch slave with a blingy Ducabike one and can't bleed the clutch. I've read all the posts I can find on the subject and it sounds like the most likely culprit is air in the master. I have been able to push air all the way through the system, so I know it's not clogged. I just can't get any fluid to drain out of the resevoir. I tried taking the banjo bolt off and filling that hole with fluid..no dice. I'm supposed to ride Sat to see an Uncle in San Diego and I am about ready to lose my shit..I thought this would be just like bleeding brakes.. bang head
So long story short, how do I get air out of the Master?

Thanks for any help,

Cameron
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »

You can pump the lever, hold it to the bar, and loosen the banjo at the master.
Tighten the banjo, let the lever out, repeat.
Use a rag to avoid fuxxoring your paint.

Are you sure the pushrod isn't adjusted too far in, covering the bleed port and preventing the master from refilling?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Kabulpostie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »

I will try that, not sure about the pushrod...haven't changed anything else.
*Actually, could you elaborate more on the pushrod  bit?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:12:54 AM by Kabulpostie » Logged
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »

The pushrod is the bit that actually pushes the cylinder. In the picture below, it's adjusted by the star-shaped knob sticking out of the front of the clutch lever pivot point.

If it's adjusted too far down, it will cover the port between the clutch fluid reservoir and the actual hydraulic cylinder that pushes clutch fluid. If that port is covered, the clutch line becomes a closed system and can't be bled.

There should be a little bit (3-2mm?) of free play at the lever before you actually begin pushing the cylinder and moving fluid. If there's not, back the pushrod adjuster out a couple of turns.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »

Last time that happened, what I did was:

get a large tie wrap
pull lever to bar
open reservoir
leave overnigth
next day, open slave's banjo, while filing reservoir
cut tie wrap
pump lever with banjo open . . .

Now, if you have a radial master that has a bleed nipple, . ..  open said bleed nipple and air should come out, then just bleed the regular way not letting the reservoir become empty !!!

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
jduke

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:08:24 AM »

Do you have a bleed valve at the clutch slave cylinder that you could bleed?
Kabulpostie

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »

Guess I should have noted first that this is an S2R1000 so it has a bleeder bolt at the the slave and just a regular banjo at the master. I'm going to look and see if I have any play in the lever and try a vacuum bleeder...but I think and hope that bleeding at the master will solve the problem.
Just finished a 3 hour ride in the desert with a buddy. We get to feel sorry for folks who can't ride in the winter, but we pay for it in the summer months!
pchoiboi

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »

i appreciate the walkthrough on this matter, about to try this myself...

despite my lack of mechanical inclination

08 M695
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »

Cameron,

I had that issue when I installed masters from a M1000S[like yours] and the Oberon slave cyl, on my bike; I did what I described in my previous post and then just have brake fluid handy and open the bleeder at slave and pump fluid thru . . . I did one or two full reservoirs, then closed the bleeder at slave, then pumped 3 times, held 4th and opened bleeder, repeated this aobut 5 times and issue solved . . . just remember to have the catch canister in a high position so that air can travel to it.

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Kabulpostie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »

All right the results are in for Who Can Figure Out Why Cameron Can't Bleed His Clutch. And the winner is drum rolll

Buckethead!  applause applause applause waytogo   Once I backed out the push rod a bit everyone's techniques and advice began to work. So thank you all for the help with a special nod to Senor Buckethead. You sir have won yourself a free beer should you ever have the misfortune to be in Yuma, AZ chug
Buckethead

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »

Thank you, Postie, but the real credit goes to Speeddog. All I did was clarify what he was talking about.

Either way, glad we could help get it working again.  waytogo

But if I do ever find a reason to be in Yuma (not likely, I'm not a Marine aviator...) I'll hit you up.  chug

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »

Thank you, Postie, but the real credit goes to Speeddog. All I did was clarify what he was talking about.

Either way, glad we could help get it working again.  waytogo

But if I do ever find a reason to be in Yuma (not likely, I'm not a Marine aviator...) I'll hit you up.  chug
You're not a bubblehead either... Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Buckethead

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »

You're not a bubblehead either... Grin

Haha. Nope.

Kabulpostie

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »

Well I have to put a damper on my backslapping. I was so excited that I started to get fluid through that I didn't wait to complete the job before I posted. I now have run a full bottle through and the fluid is fully aerated and doesn't seem to be getting better. Is this normal? It seems like air is getting introduced into the system maybe. Is it possible that I damage a seel in the master and am pumping air and fluid through the system?
Curmudgeon

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »

Ohhhhhh...., that's your callsign?  Grin

Maybe you should warn him what brown shoes do in bars!  Cool

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: