Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:36:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frame cracked!  (Read 5795 times)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »

The frame is dependent on the motor mounts being sound; both that the bolts are tight, and the engine cases aren't cracked.
As long as that condition is maintained, the frame is triangulated by the motor itself, and it's not going to crack there.
Both of those tubes are then only loaded in tension and compression, and they can handle that with no problem.

With motor mount bolts loose, or broken, or engine cases broken, the frame is no longer effectively triangulated.
That section then has to carry load in bending.
Those tubes aren't anywhere near big enough to do that, and the welds in that area compromise the bending strength.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Dmitry

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »

I would not go any further than nursing it home if I didn't have to go far.  Once it cracks through you will be on the ground.  Also, do follow Speeddog's advice to check the motor mount bolts and case.  Looseness there can cause that crack.
You're right! Motor bolts have been loosened! I tightened them. Is it true that frame could crack because of this?Sad
Dmitry

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

The frame is dependent on the motor mounts being sound; both that the bolts are tight, and the engine cases aren't cracked.
As long as that condition is maintained, the frame is triangulated by the motor itself, and it's not going to crack there.
Both of those tubes are then only loaded in tension and compression, and they can handle that with no problem.

With motor mount bolts loose, or broken, or engine cases broken, the frame is no longer effectively triangulated.
That section then has to carry load in bending.
Those tubes aren't anywhere near big enough to do that, and the welds in that area compromise the bending strength.

Thanks for the reply, Speeddog!
Dmitry

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

Mine has been cracked at the same site on both sides for years. Probably pretty reckless on my part but I still ride the piss out of it. I'll have to pull the engine to gusset weld it.
Show your crack Cheesy I want to see photos.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »

You're right! Motor bolts have been loosened! I tightened them. Is it true that frame could crack because of this?Sad

Since you read Speeddog's explanation...  I would still fix it before riding though.  Then again, I am very conservative on the advise I give to others.  Closely look at the rear engine case where the motor mount bolt goes through to confirm there is no crack. 
brad black

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 03:23:19 AM »

bolt it up before welding it too.

bob brown ran a new rail above the v, pretty much continuing on the horizontal rail from the front when he was racing an 851, and he says it stopped the cases cracking.  which they did a lot of.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »

Reminds me I need to check my monster frame bolts again!

Monsta's excellent reinforcement looks a bit like what's on my 749s frame from the factory (i.e., original).

BK

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: