Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 04:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 996 engine custom build  (Read 22991 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »

Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »

well the engine is all back together…  there wont be any updates for a while as I have to divert my attention to making a jewellery box for my wife for Christmas!

Blackout

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 11:41:57 AM »

I wanna see that jewelry box.  Grin

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
buzzer

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2019, 05:19:38 AM »

I wanna see that jewelry box.  Grin

I will post some pictures soon, its gone to be flocked at the moment  laughingdp

Finished off the clamps and top yoke...  and gave everything a polish...  Polishing is a long, dirty, and quite dangerous job!  I try to do everything at once as it makes a mess in the workshop!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »

Grin waytogo
It's been great watching this progress. Cheers.

2015 Scrambler 800
buzzer

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 06:34:49 AM »

Grin waytogo
It's been great watching this progress. Cheers.

Thanks!  its getting to the interesting bit now, putting it all together  and of course the wiring...  I will be making a loom from scratch, I love doing that and cant understand why people hate it so much!

Engine installed in the frame!   I cant think of any bike that is so simple to get the engine in the frame…  I remember three of us struggling to get a Laverda 1000 lump in a freshly painted frame years ago,  trying desperately not to mark the paint!

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »

Now that I’m seeing the engine AND frame together, I really like where this is headed.  Just was having a hard time seeing it before.  Congrats!!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
buzzer

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »

Now that I’m seeing the engine AND frame together, I really like where this is headed.  Just was having a hard time seeing it before.  Congrats!!

Thanks!

I wanted to change the colour of the rear spring from yellow to red, and tidy up the shocker…  which meant getting the spring off!  its no easy task as its VERY strong.  I drew up a couple of plates on CAD and sent the drawing to the laser cutter…  few days later these came.  made it an easy and safe job!

buzzer

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 05:51:19 AM »

well its back on its wheels...  I am pleased at how the Multistrada footrest conversion has worked out, it brings the foot pegs forward quite a bit and should achieve the riding position I was looking for.

Just about to rebuild the brakes... the fronts are fine and the pistons came out easily, but the rear caliper is seized absolutely solid!  I have left it connected to the air line overnight, but the pistons have not moved yet!  bang head

Not sure about the gold discs on the front...  they may have to be changed...  we will see...

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:05 AM »

Been following here and on the book of faces . . . Sick

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
buzzer

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2019, 03:10:47 AM »

Been following here and on the book of faces . . . Sick

yea, I cant hide now  laughingdp

Yesterday I rebuilt all the hydraulics.  I replaced the seals on the rear caliper as this was seized solid and I had to use some penetrating oil to free the pistons.

The calipers came out nice...  My bead blaster now gives a really nice finish, that with a coat of ACF-50 keeps its shine.  I was never happy with the finish until I picked up a tip from the guy who blasts my big bits...  he said my problem was I was working at too high a pressure, and that was shattering the tiny glass beads!  sure enough, I turned the pressure right down and the difference is clear!

I may try an anodising kit in the future after the success of the zinc plating!

Also made a wheel spacer to replace the speedo drive which I am not going to use.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2019, 06:36:02 AM »

Nice spacer.  As a low-buck option, you can shatter the OE plastic with a hammer and retrieve the OE steel spacer for free.  (Posted for those who may not know.)

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
buzzer

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »

Nice spacer.  As a low-buck option, you can shatter the OE plastic with a hammer and retrieve the OE steel spacer for free.  (Posted for those who may not know.)

good tip...  I am not that keen on alloy spacers as they tend to crush, but this was beefy enough not to worry

I know its a bit old school… just like me 😁 but I love the look of a mega on a bike… plan was to make a pair but I had trouble finding anyone here who could roll a cone, so I ended up modifying a couple of cheap stainless silencers I bought off Ebay. the removable baffles will satisfy the MOT man 😂and they are now re-packable

l88m22vette

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »

I just got an old but mint set of Staintune reverse cones, I really like your homemade ones, very nice! It seems like this muffler style has like 5 different names.

2000 Monster 750, yellow/bronze, first bike!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »

good tip...  I am not that keen on alloy spacers as they tend to crush, but this was beefy enough not to worry

I know its a bit old school… just like me 😁 but I love the look of a mega on a bike… plan was to make a pair but I had trouble finding anyone here who could roll a cone, so I ended up modifying a couple of cheap stainless silencers I bought off Ebay. the removable baffles will satisfy the MOT man 😂and they are now re-packable

Very tidy.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: