Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 41948 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »

Hell yeah. Build/Overbuild it.  Evil

Time to buy a tubing bender I guess Cheesy

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:37 AM »

My most pressing challenge is that there are no bolt in/weld on kits for this vehicle.

I may just build my own.

IMO, you'd have an easier time just buying a whole aftermarket chassis and going from there.

We did a custom mustang 2 front end on a 48 chevy and it's not terrible. They make a welder series for builds like yours.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »

IMO, you'd have an easier time just buying a whole aftermarket chassis and going from there.

We did a custom mustang 2 front end on a 48 chevy and it's not terrible. They make a welder series for builds like yours.

I've considered building a frame.
This issue with the Mustangg 2 front is that isn't built for 15" of travel.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »

Remember that you know a guy when it comes time to do the wood bed floor...  drool

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2021, 01:55:16 AM »

Remember that you know a guy when it comes time to do the wood bed floor...  drool

This is true but, unfortunately for you (or fortunately?) it's an all steel bed.

The plan is slowly coming together. I'm not yet sure if I'll do single or twin turbo but I'll run a 6.0 LS and a 4L80E from a 3/4 ton truck.

That trans will stay alive at 450 ft/lbs but I've found the bits and pieces need to keep it together at 1000hp. That should do me since I'm shooting for around 800hp.

The LS stock bottom end (Pistons, rods, crank) will still be frosty at 1300+hp so I should have a decent safety margin.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2021, 07:12:42 AM »

On a positive note, restomods are immune to inflation.

They cost just as much today as they did twenty years ago.

Every cent you've got  Wink

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »

Kevin, when  I read your posts, hear your voice..... But my mind has a picture of Tim the Tool Man Taylor,,,,

MORE POWER!!!

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »

Kevin, when  I read your posts, hear your voice..... But my mind has a picture of Tim the Tool Man Taylor,,,,

MORE POWER!!!

You're not wrong Cheesy

Neither is Dave laughingdp

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »

On a positive note, restomods are immune to inflation.

They cost just as much today as they did twenty years ago.

Every cent you've got  Wink

Yes.  Undecided
I have one of those in the garage too.....

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »

Well, I have acquired a 6.0L LS and a 4L80E trans along with *all* the engine wiring and accessories.  Right now I think the plan is to have the heads and block hot tanked (it's disassembled already) and put it back together with a turbo cam and whatever valve springs the cam wants.

I'll rebuild the trans to hold some power and then get it hanging in the truck.  That will let me figure out where it will need to sit so I can build a cross member for the transmission and figure out where motor mounts need to go.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »

Not to assume you won't, but I highly recommend mocking up everything possible.

The '48 I'm helping a buddy with has been a nightmare with the small cab. Brake pedal interferes with the column, steering column needed like three u-joints.

He finally has everything mocked up and got a seat in and discovered he doesn't fit in the cab.  laughingdp

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2021, 07:40:27 AM »

Not to assume you won't, but I highly recommend mocking up everything possible.

The '48 I'm helping a buddy with has been a nightmare with the small cab. Brake pedal interferes with the column, steering column needed like three u-joints.

He finally has everything mocked up and got a seat in and discovered he doesn't fit in the cab.  laughingdp

Yeah I 100% am mocking up the whole truck before anything becomes permanent. I only want to do things once-ish

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »

Supercharger and nitrous! Evil

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »

I'm not a nitrous fan because it's pretty hard on engines and superchargers just never did it for me with the parasitic loses. There's already enough of that in any drive train.

However, until I find a reason they are wrong for my application I'm planning on two of these:

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/gtx3582r-gen-ii/

ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2021, 07:14:02 PM »

Twin Precision PT7675s Even come mirrored so you can do a super ballsy top mount setup with Holley Sniper Dual 102mm intake...

https://www.precisionturbo.net/Street-and-Race/ss/2-000--HP/details/Mirror-Image-GEN2-PT7675-Turbochargers/667

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/ls_intakes/fabricated/parts/820242

X-Pipe for the inlet tubing to help balance the pressure across the two...

Follow me for more money spending tips...

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: