Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 41927 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #480 on: March 10, 2024, 12:39:52 PM »

I never let it dry....always kept it wet the whole time..

Killing cancer is a tough proposition, and never quick.

The data sheet is not very clear. They don't tell you to leave it wet between coats or to let it dry looking at it again.

I'm going to brush a third coat on right now and call it a day. Hopefully it's black tomorrow when I take a look at it after work. 

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #481 on: March 10, 2024, 12:43:03 PM »

The only danger in letting it dry is that the next coat needs to soften the previous, which lessens the time the product 'works'.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #482 on: March 10, 2024, 12:51:01 PM »

The only danger in letting it dry is that the next coat needs to soften the previous, which lessens the time the product 'works'.

From your experience when does it turn black?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #483 on: March 10, 2024, 12:58:01 PM »

From your experience when does it turn black?
Non answer...when it's done. Embarrassed

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #484 on: March 10, 2024, 05:20:22 PM »

The data sheet is not very clear. They don't tell you to leave it wet between coats or to let it dry looking at it again.

I'm going to brush a third coat on right now and call it a day. Hopefully it's black tomorrow when I take a look at it after work.  
I just read the TDS...nowhere does it say to let it dry. In fact it says to keep it wet.

I think that's your problem.

I think a phone call is in order... Evil

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #485 on: March 10, 2024, 05:33:43 PM »

I just read the TDS...nowhere does it say to let it dry. In fact it says to keep it wet.

I think that's your problem.

I think a phone call is in order... Evil

Argh. This is the tds I got from SEMs website -

Screenshot_20240310-213015 by Kevin Ames, on Flickr

I'm not seeing where it says to keep it wet. I take the note about 1 heavy coat being slow drying vs 3-4 light coats. I take that to mean light coats dry faster vs heavy.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #486 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:05 PM »

My guess would be blocking the oxygen needed for the conversion to black oxide.

If you are not happy with your results, I have used Corroseal on wrought iron with good results.  Might be different with sheet steel.  The ingredients are glycol ether  acetate and latex.  They claim you can top coat over it without primer.  I got my Corroseal from Moss Motors.  My thought is if it works on old rusty British cars...  I aiso hear good things about Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator.  Then again, if it is a top coat as well as a converter can you tell if it worked?

https://mossmotors.com/232-205-corroseal-rust-converter
  https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-black-rust-encapsulator-paint-over-rust.html
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #487 on: March 11, 2024, 02:38:47 AM »

This is what I'm reading on the SEM site... https://semproducts.com/public/content/techsheets/sem_tds_rust-mort.pdf

BRUSHING:
Apply multiple coats, keeping the area wet with Rust Mort until all rust is converted or removed. The longer the
surface is kept wet, the better the final result. After completion, remove any excess or non-converted Rust Mort
by rinsing with water and a brush. Make certain all surfaces are completely dry before proceeding with body filler
or primer per manufacturer’s recommendations. Failure to remove excess material can result in loss of adhesion of
subsequent top coats. Limit exposure after drying the surface to eliminate flash rust.

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #488 on: March 11, 2024, 04:03:09 AM »

That's a completely different tds the the one I got off their website. Wtf

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #489 on: March 11, 2024, 04:40:09 AM »

No clue...

I'd recommend cleaning off the dried product, and use it like it states in the TDS I linked to. I've used the product before, and it works if you keep it wet, and clean with water before it dries.

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #490 on: March 11, 2024, 12:59:49 PM »

Just got an email back from sem tech.

Apparently rust mort is designed for heavy rust. They said with surface rust it very likely will not turn black.

I was advised to wipe it down with a wet rag before applying anything over top of it.

Sounds like I'm okay.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #491 on: March 11, 2024, 01:05:52 PM »

https://www.tat-co.com/Products/Repair/Specialty-Coatings/2-in-1-Primer

This is the primer they sold me. I asked for urethane and I don't see that word anywhere on this can or on the TDS for this product.

bang head

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #492 on: March 11, 2024, 01:19:31 PM »

You don't want to hear what I think.

perspective

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #493 on: March 12, 2024, 05:50:29 AM »

ML......call him    Evil

It's your turn in the barrel!  laughingdp

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #494 on: March 12, 2024, 07:39:47 AM »

ML......call him    Evil

It's your turn in the barrel!  laughingdp

Course has already been corrected.

Side note- the tech support number for SEM is funny. They don't even bother trying to answer they just outright tell you we're too busy to answer the phone right now and to leave a message.

I also sent an email into tech support which they did respond to fairly quickly. I have not gotten a call back.

It sounds like this stuff wasn't really meant for surface rust even though you can use it in that application. Looks like it's meant for heavier rust that's beyond surface.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: