Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 01:03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1100 custom build  (Read 22098 times)
buzzer

« on: February 14, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »

By popular demand I thought I would start a new thread on the build of my 2001 Guzzi California.  I have had it a few months but only really started things in earnest last week...  I had been doing some jobs in the background though before I got it on the hoist.

here is how it arrived.

how it looked naked!

I bought some FCRs to put on it, and decided I may used some bell mouths..  so I set about making some...

here is a video of how I made them

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »

Very, very cool  waytogo

popcorn popcorn popcorn

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
greenmonster

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 12:59:29 PM »

Ignitech here too?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »

They'll look great hangin' off each cylinder. You gotta love the easy access for tuning. There's something endearing about Guzzis (in an eccentric kind of way).

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 05:07:00 AM »

Ignitech here too?

yes, just ordered  Grin
buzzer

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 10:43:12 AM »

They'll look great hangin' off each cylinder. You gotta love the easy access for tuning. There's something endearing about Guzzis (in an eccentric kind of way).

the owners are a bit eccentric as well... some are quite strange to be honest!

One thing I hated about the bike was the side stand… Just how agricultural is that bracket! I know its a great functional design, but its SO ugly!  so out come the angle grinder and it is no more!  In the loft (or as my wife calls it the spares department!!) i had a side stand off a 1994 Honda CBR 600…  it bolted straight on!  Just need to adjust the angle a little when the ride height has been set.  a job for much later on...

buzzer

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 01:05:17 AM »

Up on the hoist for the first time… I have temporarily used a build stand that I have used for Ducati’s, but I will have to make a specific one as this one will impede making the exhaust fit on the bike. First job has been to make some inlet manifolds to fit the carbs… I wanted them angled upwards and inwards, and that took some working out to get the compound angle right! it ended up as 68.5 degrees. As the carb diameter is larger than the head inlet, I needed to use a tapered tube… To do this I turned up a tapered mandrel, and after annealing the alloy tube, I pressed it in with the vice, which expanded the tube by the required few mm. I then turned a grove to accept the lip inside the carb mounting blocks.

the next bit was actually quite difficult… I needed to make the hole on the flange a nice fit on the tube, but at an angle. I deliberately cut the 10mm plate quite large so I could get it mounted on the milling machine at the exact angle. I then bored the hole with an indexable boring head. If that milling machine looks old, it is! I did some work on it a few months ago and found a date… 1929!

Next job was to TIG weld the flanges on, drill the holes, and finally cut to shape. here is a video of how I made them

greenmonster

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 06:10:48 AM »

Top notch as usual.
You gonna do any drivetrain check/service?
Plan to make custom footrests?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:16:20 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 01:31:19 AM »

Top notch as usual.
You gonna do any drivetrain check/service?
Plan to make custom footrests?

just finishing the exhausts,  the footrests will be next  waytogo 

I am going to do a full strip and rebuild of everything as I want to bead blast all the alloy.

Just debating over the wheels...  they are alloy rims, stainless spokes so to polish the rims, I would have to take them apart  I have never built a wheel before (always put them out) but my mate has just bought a jig, so I am going to wait until he tries it  laughingdp  my other option is to have them bead blasted, I think that would look good and save on polishing...  we will see

buzzer

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 02:09:35 AM »

yesterdays job was to mock up the exhaust... I had ordered some 2" mandrel bends and straight pipe as I wanted that chunky look, and for the pipe to fit straight into the silencer with no reducer. From a performance aspect, the large headers are probably not I deal... but I wont miss a few BHP! I also wanted that angled swept back look (old School!!) The bends are 135, 45 and 30 degrees. It should all polish nicely as its stainless steel. This bike will have more forward mounted foot rests, hence I could kick up the silencers earlier...

I find making exhaust systems quite therapeutic, although sometimes I could do with a third hand. My wife used to help, but since I burned the back of her hand with the hot end of the filler rod, all help has been withdrawn  laughingdp

greenmonster

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 06:06:34 AM »

Brad
https://www.bikeboy.org/performance.html
has done some experimenting w exhausts, a crossover seems a good idea.

https://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/  and  https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/
seems pretty ok, but there is a lot of grumpy farts around Guzzi`s... laughingdp

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 04:18:25 AM »

Brad
https://www.bikeboy.org/performance.html
has done some experimenting w exhausts, a crossover seems a good idea.

https://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/  and  https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/
seems pretty ok, but there is a lot of grumpy farts around Guzzi`s... laughingdp

Thanks!

I know what you mean about grumpy...  some of the Guzzi guys seem to be quite strange Roll Eyes  as an example I have sold hundreds of Ducati parts on Ebay, not one complaint... I sold 30 Guzzi parts and had 4 issues!

I was selling the ECU off the guzzi and a guy sent me a string of questions...  coffee Then he asked me what it weighed...  So I asked why he wanted to know the weight...  he replied "I think your postage cost is too high!"  bang head

In the mean time someone hits the buy it now button and it sells... waytogo

Next I get a really shitty message of the first guy to say I shouldn't have sold it as I knew he was interested and he had been looking for one for months as they rarely come up! he said I should have given him first refusal!  laughingdp laughingdp

the exhaust is all TIGed together now...

greenmonster

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »

Driveability seems dependent on a good crossover:
https://www.bikeboy.org/sport1100_update.html

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 02:29:31 AM »

Driveability seems dependent on a good crossover:
https://www.bikeboy.org/sport1100_update.html

well spotted!  waytogo I have thought about this...  I decided to try it without first, but its an easy retro fit if I need to fit one.

Next on the list is the new foot controls… I sat on the bike and decided where I wanted the foot pegs to be. This bike wont have rear-sets, I want to to be comfortable to ride! I then measured how long from the peg the brake and gear lever needed to be and set about designing some controls. It would have been easier to have had them water jet cut, but that’s a 3 hour round trip for me, and usually quite a wait, so I decided to mill them out instead. What has made a BIG difference to me is the acquisition of a band saw… Its great for cutting stuff like this out! I was so lucky to acquire it… my mate was throwing it out!

I made a couple of spigots to mount them on the frame which I will weld on. I have used a couple of Oilite bushes on the holes rather than run the alloy directly on the steel. the first spigot I made I realised I had counter bored it a bit too far and it would have been too weak… a case of measure twice cut once! I then bent them in the vice to get the correct crank angle to clear the exhaust.

buzzer

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 05:37:09 AM »

The finished results, apart from a good polish...  As I am going to use a Ducati rear calliper, I have also used a Ducati Master cylinder, and also used the same leverage ratio for the pedal...  here is a short video

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: