Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati 1000 DS build  (Read 21776 times)
buzzer

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2023, 06:01:06 AM »

had to be done!

if anyone is interested I have done a blog page on spraying at home...

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects-2/paint-spraying-at-home/

buzzer

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2023, 07:28:23 AM »

A custom build is never finished....

When I first built this bike I wanted an underslung silencer, which I did make… Unfortunately the bike ran like a bag of crap with it on, due to a silly design error i made in opposing the inlets from each cylinder into the silencer.. at 1/8 throttle, it ran rough. So this is MKll design!

I also wanted to put the British standard numbers on it, just in case the MOT man was in a bad mood… so I had some stencils made up and etched them on along with a Ducati logo. this is a very easy and simple process, here is a short video of how it’s done.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2023, 07:39:53 AM »

A custom build is never finished....

... told you so  Cheesy waytogo

Video bookmarked!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2023, 07:33:44 PM »

Nice

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
buzzer

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2024, 07:25:44 AM »

Probably my final post....

Well I said I wouldn't build another bike this winter, instead focusing on some house renovations which I started in September, planning to finish around March.  But I got my skates on and had them finished by Christmas, gaining me MANY brownie points...

Last week I got chatting to a mate who had this Honda SLR 650 at the back of the shed, not ridden for a few years.  Well I have always fancied doing a big single, and as this was Electric start, it fitted the bill perfectly!  I have gone to the dark side!

I like to have a design brief in my head before I start, In this case, as always it will be minimalist… As light as I can make it… Parts I do put back on I will ask myself, “can I make it?” The front wheel will be changed to a 17” to match the rear, which will entail a wheel building session, something I have wanted to do for years… we will see on that one!

I ordered the tank soon as I got it...  Brand new... off a CG125 Honda, great quality, came with a new cap and tap... £38 delivered, how do they do it for that little!

If anyone wants to follow this build it will be on my blog...I cant post links on here, but if you search @jtccc you should find it...  or I am happy to post on this thread if that's what people want?

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2024, 08:05:03 AM »

We often solve identity issues this way. Red tank "DUCATI"

I'd like it a lot if you post the build here waytogo

buzzer

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2024, 08:24:53 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp
buzzer

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2024, 06:48:29 AM »

first job has been to fabricate the rear subframe. I bought a pre bent hoop off Ebay and some Rod Ends. I did think about just welding it on, but I do like the industrial look of rod ends, and they make attachment point easy and adjustable. The bolts through the frame will be 8.8 high tensile and not stainless in this application. I will also be sleeving the frame where the bolts pass through and welding the bosses I have made on there.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2024, 09:42:22 PM »

This will be interesting popcorn  Thumper cafe racer?
buzzer

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2024, 02:44:47 AM »

This will be interesting popcorn  Thumper cafe racer?

more like a scrambler  Smiley
buzzer

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2024, 05:28:52 AM »

Next job took some thinking about and making… the footrest plates are structural to the frame as they support the ends of the swinging arm. I also wanted to move the pegs forward slightly… here is the result… more chunky than I usually make but they need to be!

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2024, 11:44:02 AM »

Do this  waytogo

Evil

buzzer

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2024, 03:16:35 AM »

I can see that lasting about 10 seconds!

I bought a new Keihin 41mm FCR carb for the bike… while it actually fits on the original manifold I wanted it to stick out a little more, so I decided to make a longer and different manifold. I am still not sure which one to use, but now have the option.

That plate of aluminium is aircraft quality and mills really well...  However, the milling chips are small and exceptionally sharp and I have received an official warning that I must shale my overalls off in the garage and remove my shoes before coming into the house  Cry

buzzer

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2024, 03:45:14 AM »

now one of the more satisfying jobs… exhaust fabrication! the original headers were 28mm but its very hard to get any sorts of bends in that diameter so I went up to 32mm, which aesthetically I think looks better. 32mm bends are available in quite a few angles, its just deciding which ones you need, and that’s just an eyeball thing.

Its not that difficult to make a system, its more time consuming. Cuts are made using a 1mm cutting disk in the angle grinder, and if you wrap masking tape around the cut line you can get it very accurate. then it’s a matter of assembling it together, initially with Jubilee clips. I cut slots in these so I can tack it in situ. A tip about tacking is to double the amps on the welder to what you would use to weld… and then put the tiniest of tacks in place. A tiny tack also has the advantage that it does not pull a gap on the opposite side that you will get if you make big ones. Three tiny tacks are actually very strong, but if you make a mistake, can easily be broken by touching them with the cutting disk. 

Note the 2 way spirit level… this is a VERY useful (and cheap!) way of making sure build lines are correct. If you have the bike vertically (using a long spirit level on the wheel) and horizontal you can place the 2 way level on the bike and tape it there… that becomes your datum. To get it right on this bike I had to drop the stanchions through the yokes as I will be replacing the 19″ front wheel with a 17″ on soon.

Mhanis

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2024, 04:39:42 AM »

Shocked

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: